P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just prefer the all-open mode of my flip-down. I rode the first Summer with my Pioneer with no windshield at all, and really liked the open-air ride. By the time Fall came around, I knew I had to get a windshield.

I didn't like the flip-ups because they aren't open enough for me. I see that guys spend a bunch more money to get a longer handle, so they can open it further. Then when it's out about 90 degrees it just looks like a big branch-catcher to me. I go down a lot of narrow trails where I'm pushing decent sized branches with my roll bar, and didn't want that shield sticking out there when I do it.

I acknowledge that the ability to open/close on the fly is nicer than my full stop, get out and put it up routine, but I generally just leave it down all Summer anyway.

I ride with clear motorcycle glasses when moving at higher speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, true. But the same can be done with a flip-up windshield that can be opened only an inch or two to provide face and eye protection when moving faster than crawl speed. The fold-down shield has no partially open mode to provide controlled ventilation while still providing protection.

I had my Honda two piece flip-up open wider than normal on a recent warm day and a bug or bee whacked me on the lip at about 40 -45 mph. I stopped and adjusted the ws to a narrower open position.
Did you miss the part where I said I got glass to avoid having scratched up plastic? I don't believe a GLASS windshield that is flipped up would survive trees and limbs very well.

Reactions: TripleB
A

amwatson15

May 28, 2021
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking to purchase a windshield and it time to decide which to select! Keep in mind I’m going to use my UTV primary to hog and predator hunt at night. Only other constraints that I see is the factory roof and the light brackets that I’m going to mount to the upper part of the cage point forward and to the side! Okay, what do you think? Thanks ahead of time letting me know what you think!!
We opted for flip up. It’s easier to open/close from inside the machine. Plus with the roof we have, if we would have gotten a flip down, we would have had to unhook the front of the roof every time we wanted to open/close the windshield.

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm in the SATV Flip Up camp. Mine is for hog and predator hunt at night as well. I'm with jmullins on this.
Looking to purchase a windshield and it time to decide which to select! Keep in mind I’m going to use my UTV primary to hog and predator hunt at night. Only other constraints that I see is the factory roof and the light brackets that I’m going to mount to the upper part of the cage point forward and to the side! Okay, what do you think? Thanks ahead of time letting me know what you think!!

IMG 0642 IMG 0643

PatioDaddyo58

PatioDaddyo58

Supporting Member
Nov 6, 2019
Abilene, TX
Ownership

1. 700-2
Are there any real glass flip out windshields for the 2020 pioneer 1000-5? I have a scratch resistant window and it is completely scratched and I havent even been on trails yet
I've been looking since 2019 and haven't come across one yet. I dream of an all glass flip up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!