BOX1

P700 For all you chop topper wanna be's (pics)

Guiltygypsy

Guiltygypsy

Feb 7, 2020
New Tazewell, Tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok,
So I have been hit up by several 700 owners since i posted about the 6.5" chop top. I love helping and answering any questions I can for anyone that needs help, but thought this might help some people self answer some of the questions if I posted my file on the chop. First and foremost, I can not stress this enough. This is not a mod to be lightly considered. Its not the hardest if you have any mechanical mindset at all, but if you have even the slightest reservation abought your welding ability, mechanical aptitude, or the ability to calculate and format angles, hire it out. This is also modifying the system that is intended to save your life in the event of a roll over, So there is that. I cut our buggy down 6.5" so we could get it in our toyhauler with the 28" tires on it, before the chop, with the lift, we were having to change the tires back to the stock 25" before and after every time it went in the trailer. It was exhausting. It took me by myself about 10 hours, start to finish to do this modification, but please keep in mind, I work with steel everyday, and Im a certified welder. You will need the proper tools as well, grinder, disks, drill, bits, saw, welding machine, rods, gas, You know, it takes a small shop full of tools to do anything.
We love the chop, and since this I have chopped 3 1000's and 2 more 700's. All with different styles and drops everything from 2" to an 8" extreme. I wouldn't have gone that low, but His checkbook, my skills.
I truly hope this helps some of you to decide yes or no, and see the actual work that goes into this mod.
There will be File 2 to follow

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Headhunterf100

Headhunterf100

Oct 14, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
I agree fully that they should of came from the factory "lowered", even after chopping mine I still really dislike the two humped look maybe when steel prices come back down ill fully rebuild mine without. FYI its been said before the when chopping a 1.5" slug fits nicely inside factory tube.

Reactions: JenElio
Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
That mod looks sick! And this is coming from another fabricator...Well done sir!

Reactions: Guiltygypsy
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks much better! Good job👍

Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
So cutting the rear vertical bars and welding seems easy but the front is a different animal! Do you miter the pipes and crate a false bend? Or tweak the factory brackets to create a different rake for the windsheild?

Guiltygypsy

Guiltygypsy

Feb 7, 2020
New Tazewell, Tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
So cutting the rear vertical bars and welding seems easy but the front is a different animal! Do you miter the pipes and crate a false bend? Or tweak the factory brackets to create a different rake for the windsheild?
No, if you look close,
On the top bars, they were cut and and a piece was graphed in. This allowed the original geometry to remain. As the windshield gets lower, obviously it gets farther away from the rear, I added 1/2 the drop (3.25") to the top ROP and it lined up perfectly. This also allowed me to used the factory hard top without modification.
The only bracket that was modified was the in the middle behind the head rest, they were flipped, switched sides (for seat belt) upside down and trimmed to fit. The rear seat belt anchor was removed and then re-attached after the weld out.
Every cut got a piece of solid round stock drilled and position welded then 6 G out from root to cover. Hope that answers the question

Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
Just curious...I've bounced my head off the top bar before so I wont be chopping mine!
No, if you look close,
On the top bars, they were cut and and a piece was graphed in. This allowed the original geometry to remain. As the windshield gets lower, obviously it gets farther away from the rear, I added 1/2 the drop (3.25") to the top ROP and it lined up perfectly. This also allowed me to used the factory hard top without modification.
The only bracket that was modified was the in the middle behind the head rest, they were flipped, switched sides (for seat belt) upside down and trimmed to fit. The rear seat belt anchor was removed and then re-attached after the weld out.
Every cut got a piece of solid round stock drilled and position welded then 6 G out from root to cover. Hope that answers the question
Yep! Again great job!

Reactions: Guiltygypsy
Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Guiltygypsy
Since all your cuts/splices are above the factory bolted ROPS joints, it seems someone with the proper equipment could easily manufacture this chopped cage as a kit? 🤔

…. I guess liability concerns have kept the aftermarket away from such a bolt on kit?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So with how much lowering you done did how big of a wheel tire combo can you put in there without a lift and keep it under 50" width for the backwoods trails 🙃

I couldn't help it but ask :p

All joking aside tho you did a nice clean job! The pictures look great. Working with your hands is something I think everyone should do. You made it look clean and factory!

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would say just not enough of a market for aftermarket cages on the 700s unlike all the sport sxs
Not enough market?
I would think every 700 owner would be interested in a bolt on cage kit that allows use of the factory hardtop with a reduced height.
I have 8’ high garage doors without clearance issues but would still be interested in one. Standard garage door heights start to become an issue.
Could keep original cage so no issues if I ever wanted to trade machine in.

Headhunterf100

Headhunterf100

Oct 14, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Do not currently own
Not enough market?
I would think every 700 owner would be interested in a bolt on cage kit that allows use of the factory hardtop with a reduced height.
I have 8’ high garage doors without clearance issues but would still be interested in one. Standard garage door heights start to become an issue.
Could keep original cage so no issues if I ever wanted to trade machine in.
so for giggles if one was available how much would you personally be willing to pay ? dont forget shipping on something that will have to come via freight.

Reactions: Robobrainiac
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!