P1000 Fox Q3 or Walker Evans

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This feels like beating a dead horse, but I can't seem to find an answer. I found a lot of discussion including in multiple garage builds, but no real answer.

I'm looking to upgrade and want to know if the Walker Evans are actually worth the extra expense? My local dealer can get me fox for $1360.00 plus tax. I know they give me 3 settings. I know the WE give me more options, but do I end up the same? I need more compliance at slow speed for my wife's comfort. Soft on fox and minimal compression on WE. Medium for my average trail ride and hard when the rear is loaded or I'm having a fun trail ride by myself. I presume I would be in the middle of compression and then all the way in on the WE. I have searched the forums and it seems a split between what guys have installed and everyone seems happy. Has anyone replaced one with the other and why? The Elka stage 3 don't seem to offer an advantage for the price and I believe the 4 and 5 are overkill for what I do with this machine.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.

Thanks Tim

Reactions: Remington and JTW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly,
Any shock upgrade will be a world of difference. Both can be set to super soft if you wish.
The WE's have a few more adjustments for what may be more flexibility with a turn of a knob.
But really, we haven't compared them enough side by side to know the ranges they both offer in comparison.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the Fox shocks are a great bolt on shock replacement with enough adjustment to significantly improve ride quality as compared to the stock load leveling shocks. They aren't perfect. If I had to spend the money again, I'd buy the 814 Viking shocks because I like the challenge or the thought behind setting this machine up for what I do and the price is very competitive. The WE shocks are probably out of my budget but may offer a quicker bolt on solution.

Last edited:
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe the Viking shocks require a travel limiting strap? That seems like an additional item to inspect and clean around that the other options don't add.

I wish the shock manufacturers would share their dyno results for comparison. If I knew that the fox soft was 5 clicks on a WE and it could go 10% softer or on the other end 10% firmer then it would allow me to make an informed choice. I'm sure they all have shock dynos for testing and qa. I would think that WE and Elka would want to show why their shocks are an upgrade over the fox to get the LE owners to purchase as well.

Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have made my choice. I spent 40 minutes on the phone today with Craig Folmar that owns 814 shocks. He now offers limiting straps and all hardware as well as the shocks. I have been watching what he's been doing and liked what he had to say. I should have the shocks and install in about 2 weeks. I will post pictures and measurements once it's done.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
I have made my choice. I spent 40 minutes on the phone today with Craig Folmar that owns 814 shocks. He now offers limiting straps and all hardware as well as the shocks. I have been watching what he's been doing and liked what he had to say. I should have the shocks and install in about 2 weeks. I will post pictures and measurements once it's done.
Cant wait for your review, Congrats!

Reactions: Firemedic530
Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fact he spent 40 minutes on the phone with you says a lot!!
It definitely made it easy to pull the trigger on them. He was in the middle of installing a set on a P1K5 and answered all of my questions and wasn't trying to push them. I didn't get the feeling he was BS'ing me and his explanations made sense. I can't wait to get them and try them out.
Then I need to meet some of the guys on here with Fox and WE and we can compare.

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
It definitely made it easy to pull the trigger on them. He was in the middle of installing a set on a P1K5 and answered all of my questions and wasn't trying to push them. I didn't get the feeling he was BS'ing me and his explanations made sense. I can't wait to get them and try them out.
Then I need to meet some of the guys on here with Fox and WE and we can compare.

I’ve been in contact with Craig as well, very straight forward and takes the time to explain what he offers and why compared to the other companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Firemedic530
Jayme327

Jayme327

Jun 4, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I know this is an old post but i was just wondering how you made out. I am in the same boat. I have a P10005 deluxe and want to get new shocks. I was between Elka's stage 3, Fox and WE. This post is throwing me for a loop. Hoe do you like this set up? are you happy wit it?

Firemedic530

Firemedic530

Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
West Jefferson, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm happy with the lift and most areas of riding. I stil have bottoming issues if I hit anything with both front wheels at the same time. If things are offset, then i can run 45 and it's smooth. I have softer springs than he now uses, so that may be part of it. I know @Delton doesn't have as much bottoming trouble as me. Another friend we ride with also says he's never bottomed, I don't think he rides as fast as us though. I ride with @Rambo as well and he love his Walker Evans and I would be tempted to go that route if buying again.

Reactions: Tigermark
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm satisfied with the Fox QS3's. Greatly improved the front end bottoming out, even in the "soft" setting. They just suck up the bumps compared to stock. I only wish the rear variable rate springs had a higher starting rate. I adjusted the spring preload to give the same ground clearance as the original shocks (about 13" they way I measured, with Big Horn 2.0 tires), but the coils at the top of the spring are stacked--looks like they are touching, even with no cargo in the bed. Not a big deal, but I may look into replacement rear springs with a higher initial rate.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm happy with the lift and most areas of riding. I stil have bottoming issues if I hit anything with both front wheels at the same time. If things are offset, then i can run 45 and it's smooth. I have softer springs than he now uses, so that may be part of it. I know @Delton doesn't have as much bottoming trouble as me. Another friend we ride with also says he's never bottomed, I don't think he rides as fast as us though. I ride with @Rambo as well and he love his Walker Evans and I would be tempted to go that route if buying again.
My rear bottomed a few times at Takeover. My springs had settled some more after I readjusted preload. Plus I had that bigger trailbox full of stuff and cooler full of Dos Equis lol. Haven't been on a ride since adding preload.

Reactions: Tigermark
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm satisfied with the Fox QS3's. Greatly improved the front end bottoming out, even in the "soft" setting. They just suck up the bumps compared to stock. I only wish the rear variable rate springs had a higher starting rate. I adjusted the spring preload to give the same ground clearance as the original shocks (about 13" they way I measured, with Big Horn 2.0 tires), but the coils at the top of the spring are stacked--looks like they are touching, even with no cargo in the bed. Not a big deal, but I may look into replacement rear springs with a higher initial rate.

I've seen a few posts about guys swapping rear springs on the Fox shocks. I ordered new springs today. 3" ID 14" long and 300lb to fit my rear fox shocks. Dave's has free shipping and $20 off today

http://davesoffroadsupply.com/Viper-Coils-3-Spring-for-25-shocks-14-Tall_p_18048.html

Reactions: JTW
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How much are you guys paying for these sets of shocks? I'm happy with how my machine rides with the stock Deluxe model shocks (coming from a pioneer 500). But I have seen some used Fox shocks for pretty reasonable prices. I don't think I'd be afraid to buy a used set with a few hundred miles on them... should I? Do used sets come up for sale often? What's the going rate for used sets?

J

JTW

How much are you guys paying for these sets of shocks? I'm happy with how my machine rides with the stock Deluxe model shocks (coming from a pioneer 500). But I have seen some used Fox shocks for pretty reasonable prices. I don't think I'd be afraid to buy a used set with a few hundred miles on them... should I? Do used sets come up for sale often? What's the going rate for used sets?
Night and day difference.. $1400ish new... $1000ish used for foxes

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've seen a few posts about guys swapping rear springs on the Fox shocks. I ordered new springs today. 3" ID 14" long and 300lb to fit my rear fox shocks. Dave's has free shipping and $20 off today

http://davesoffroadsupply.com/Viper-Coils-3-Spring-for-25-shocks-14-Tall_p_18048.html
How is the ride with the replacement springs? How did you decide on the spring rate and length? I read on here that the Fox rears are:

15.5" Length 3.0 diameter, progressive 187/350#

No info on stroke length. I might try calling Honda to verify the specs and ask about replacement options.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How is the ride with the replacement springs? How did you decide on the spring rate and length? I read on here that the Fox rears are:

15.5" Length 3.0 diameter, progressive 187/350#

No info on stroke length. I might try calling Honda to verify the specs and ask about replacement options.

I sold the Fox shocks and springs before I had a chance to ride with them. Turns out the spring on Elka stage 4 shocks for a 1000-5 are a 300lb single rate. The Elkas are incredible. Still wish I could have tried the Fox with the new springs for a direct comparison but oh well, I'm a lot happier now. The issue with the stock rear spring on the Fox shocks is they are too soft without preload and tend to make the machine feel loose, after adding preload to support cargo and passengers the top of the spring is fully compressed and the remaining spring rate is way too stiff so the rear end tends to buck and bounce.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I sold the Fox shocks and springs before I had a chance to ride with them. Turns out the spring on Elka stage 4 shocks for a 1000-5 are a 300lb single rate. The Elkas are incredible. Still wish I could have tried the Fox with the new springs for a direct comparison but oh well, I'm a lot happier now. The issue with the stock rear spring on the Fox shocks is they are too soft without preload and tend to make the machine feel loose, after adding preload to support cargo and passengers the top of the spring is fully compressed and the remaining spring rate is way too stiff so the rear end tends to buck and bounce.
You can drive mi.... errrrrr ride with me at Takeover this year and compare.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!