Fox shock leaking oil

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Walking around Talon up on trailer looking at the fox numbers on the springs wondering if numbers can be crossed over to actual spring rates.
Noticed left rear shock has oil on the rod where it comes out of the shock body. The other three are completely dry. Haven't heard much about leaking Fox shocks. Will wipe it clean and observe for more oil.

If I have to pursue warranty do they replace shock or try to replaced seals.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Walking around Talon up on trailer looking at the fox numbers on the springs wondering if numbers can be crossed over to actual spring rates.
Noticed left rear shock has oil on the rod where it comes out of the shock body. The other three are completely dry. Haven't heard much about leaking Fox shocks. Will wipe it clean and observe for more oil.

As for the numbers on the springs - yes usually you can google the numbers and find out the weight of the spring.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

They would normally replace the shock. They should not leak at all unless wore.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find spec on Fox springs using the numbers stamped on the springs.
Not finding much useful. Anyone know where this information can be found?

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find spec on Fox springs using the numbers stamped on the springs.
The OEM springs are usually stamped for an OEM part number. The aftermarket springs are stamped according to their length, diameter and rate. You will probably have to call Fox or Honda to get the specifics. Seems like I saw them listed on FB at one time.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are the numbers?

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
top front 039-00-451-8 top rear 039-00-452-8
bottom 039-00-453-8 bottom 039-00-454-8

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
top front 039-00-451-8 top rear 039-00-452-8
bottom 039-00-453-8 bottom 039-00-454-8
Called Fox and they said oil may be makeup oil so I will clear it off and watch.

spring rates Top front 350 Bottom front 225 Top rear 250 Bottom rear 250

D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Called Fox and they said oil may be makeup oil so I will clear it off and watch.

spring rates Top front 350 Bottom front 225 Top rear 250 Bottom rear 250

Did these numbers get truly written as intended? Seems the top should always be lighter than bottoms and fronts should be lighter than rears. Very interested in this as I want to make some changes but not sure what I really have for stock springs.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!