P700 Frame swap and more

S

Saluki08

Jul 30, 2022
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello all,

I'm looking for help. I recently bought a 2018 700-4 thru an online auction. Through a few grainy photos and a weak description I thought I'd dive in on a machine I thought would need a little work but would be cheap and do-able. Well, my stomach sank when I saw the thing. It has been used by local firefighting for beach rescues for 3 years and sat at the City's maintenance yard for another year before being sold to me. As you can imagine being close to salt water has taken it's toll on the frame. There are many places where the frame has been eaten clean through! I'm surprised it's still standing! I've replaced the ignition (so I can have a key) and put in a new battery and much to my surprise it fired right up. I have a running, driving machine.

Here's where I'd like some help. The pioneer by no means should be driven as is. Should I seek out a frame and swap/replace parts to make a "new" machine or should I cut my losses and part it out? Since I'm new to pioneers, I'm hoping the forum could let me know if there's any value into what I have and what that may be. Just for consideration sake I'm into it about $4000. Any ideas what I could sell it for as is, how much I could part it out for? Or what it would cost for new frame, A arms, bumpers/roll cage... Essentially all metal parts? TIA

F0EB11BD 7CA2 4AD7 8065 DD0D8AF4873C C2B2F2C8 DDA8 46F9 A861 4BE0DFA9D04D 5D03CE25 1C42 4D94 B3B9 D5DB6F9BE449 5DE91AF4 9ED9 4989 91E3 96E390692474 4D0F2707 B051 45B3 A6F9 F1ABFC1FE0C0 0D7A3B69 E1A2 4E6B 8959 6B3F82A47FB4

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh my goodness.

I'm not sure what to advise.
You will be another 4k deep replacing parts. More if your only source is new.

If the engine runs well it might go for 2-3k. But it most likely has bolt head rust. So idk about that.

What I would do is re-list it.
Ask 5. Take 4 as a "deal".
But this will be hard. You will have lots of lookers before you find a buyer. Be truthful and I would not waste personal time holding/showing for anyone without a $50-100 non-refundable deposit.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
If I'm not mistaken I think there was a thread a few years back where someone bought one with this exact same problem. I don't know how it turned out but you might be able to do a search and find it. Hopefully there will be some good advice there for you.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
One option is see if a local fab shop can make the parts you need then weld them in if possible.
For paint use Tractor Supply implement paint

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
For reference, a new 2018-4 "main frame" from RMATV is listing for $2028 dollars right now. Obviously, shipping will be $$$.

The frames on these things are very thin. Don't know how welding would do on them. Its hard to call. If everything else is good and you can do your own work, it's probably worth doing.

S

Saluki08

Jul 30, 2022
Houston, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the insight everyone. Keep the comments coming. I'm thinking with the demand for these things being high and the supply chain being low, I can ask $5k. It's sitting in my garage not costing me anything. I can sit and wait.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Part of the problem is you will need more than just the main frame.
There are the bolt on side frames and the foot plate frame.
Maybe the bed frame, seat frame are salvageable but maybe not.
Replacing parts will add up.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the insight everyone. Keep the comments coming. I'm thinking with the demand for these things being high and the supply chain being low, I can ask $5k. It's sitting in my garage not costing me anything. I can sit and wait.
That would be my plan. Just say you got a great deal but realized it was more than you have time/knowledge to do but for the right person, here it is....just looking to not lose on it. Move on, the market will come down very soon on these and many other discretionaries, thanks to failing federal policies...all except those who rely on these things daily for work or are hard core riders will be looking to shed some toys and/or not continuing paying over sticker to get one and you should be able to pick another one up. Rust scares me on these and that is only what you have shown...there is likely other damage not showing.

B

BobRack

Supporting Member
Oct 7, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello all,

I'm looking for help. I recently bought a 2018 700-4 thru an online auction. Through a few grainy photos and a weak description I thought I'd dive in on a machine I thought would need a little work but would be cheap and do-able. Well, my stomach sank when I saw the thing. It has been used by local firefighting for beach rescues for 3 years and sat at the City's maintenance yard for another year before being sold to me. As you can imagine being close to salt water has taken it's toll on the frame. There are many places where the frame has been eaten clean through! I'm surprised it's still standing! I've replaced the ignition (so I can have a key) and put in a new battery and much to my surprise it fired right up. I have a running, driving machine.

Here's where I'd like some help. The pioneer by no means should be driven as is. Should I seek out a frame and swap/replace parts to make a "new" machine or should I cut my losses and part it out? Since I'm new to pioneers, I'm hoping the forum could let me know if there's any value into what I have and what that may be. Just for consideration sake I'm into it about $4000. Any ideas what I could sell it for as is, how much I could part it out for? Or what it would cost for new frame, A arms, bumpers/roll cage... Essentially all metal parts? TIA

View attachment 346360 View attachment 346361 View attachment 346362 View attachment 346363 View attachment 346364 View attachment 346365
You're looking at $1600 just for the frame. $2500 for the roll cage. Practically guarantee you're looking at least 5 grand or more to get back to drivability. Depending on what you paid for it, it could be a keep the catch or cut bait situation.

B

bs4u00

Mar 6, 2019
WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have nothing to lose in trying to sell it like it is right now. You never know whose out there looking for something like this, or willing to take it off your hands. If you can get your money out of it, let it go. IMO.

jivy20

jivy20

Jul 12, 2022
Austin Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello all,

View attachment 346360 View attachment 346361 View attachment 346362 View attachment 346363 View attachment 346364 View attachment 346365
Check out PowerSportsNation.com they have around 800 salvage parts for your ride. I don't have any affiliation with them except for the fact that I purchased a complete frame for a Brute Force a few years ago. Good luck.
Jivy

Pieward

Pieward

Oct 2, 2021
Sw ark
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seriously, the steel is a weak point on sxs, If they could/would beef up frame , add something , some protection, to score like the engines Honda sxs would be unstoppable. Then again we don’t want a 4 ton sxs, Hope Honda’s watching! I’ve got Honda’s from the 80s with frame still in tact. This pic is on my2016, more places rusted out that I don’t have pics of at moment . Some of you have seen pics of my 16 1000, washed it today n noticed the frame under bed has serious rust issues. Like it’s almost completely gone. I don’t live in a salt area. I still love my Honda’s. Hope something works out for you

C344546D 39F6 4900 A1B6 6A32181AE612

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think trying to rebuild that pile of rust would provide years of frustration and disappointment and cost thousands of dollars. I would try to salvage the good parts and dispose of the rest.

You might be able to recoup much of your "investment" by selling the parts.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!