P500 Front Axle Binding p500

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
AC77C886 4824 44FF 9DF8 3BF827108B3C
Wondering if any other p5 riders have experienced this?
Installed Walker Evans shocks all around on a 2018 pioneer 500. Adjusted the preload to the original ride height, so it is not lifted. I’ve also just installed 26 inch Maxxis Bighorn tires with 2 inch spacers.
I noticed when I lift the front tires off the ground that the passenger side front tire drive axle is starting to bind. This axle is much shorter than the driver side so it droops more. The driver side is fine. I can still turn the wheel by hand with some effort, but it is binding and lifting the A arm slightly when it does bind.

Any recommendations? Thought about a limit strap for this axle, but it looks like the metal part of the strap on the lower shock bolt would be cocked since the spring is much wider than the bolt location. See photo.

I’m wondering if this is really an issue since I’ve not seen much discussion about it in the forums....so I don’t want to fix it if it isn’t an issue.

Reactions: rtn001 and Chooglin
C

Chooglin

I would say it's fine , I am willing to bet , all of them would do this if the passenger side wheel is up off the ground!!!

Reactions: rtn001
B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I would say it's fine , I am willing to bet , all of them would do this if the passenger side wheel is up off the ground!!!

Your advice is always welcome! Just curious if you are running any preload on your shocks. I’ve got 10 inches of ground clearance with no preload. Muchas gracias!

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Mine does it. My recommendation? Don't lift the front tires off the ground.

You know I was surprised the first time I lofted a front wheel. It was an off camber wash crossing going dead slow and I’m a conservative driver. Interesting to hear yours is also doing the same thing. At least it is not totally locking so that helps also. Thanks for the feedback!

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
You know I was surprised the first time I lofted a front wheel. It was an off camber wash crossing going dead slow and I’m a conservative driver. Interesting to hear yours is also doing the same thing. At least it is not totally locking so that helps also. Thanks for the feedback!
500's loft wheels a lot. You gotta figure Honda felt it was ok to bind at full extension to leave it like that.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
500's loft wheels a lot. You gotta figure Honda felt it was ok to bind at full extension to leave it like that.

I’ve discussed this possibility with a savvy friend...definitely a possibility...sure appreciate your input!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You have more preload than I do. I’m guessing you are not having any binding issues......stock axles? Thanks again!
Something doesn't sound right here guys. Are the WE longer than stocks? I would get a hold of WE.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Something doesn't sound right here guys. Are the WE longer than stocks? I would get a hold of WE.

Right...I sent them a message on their web site stating what is going on. No response yet. I didn’t measure the WE shock before I put them on. Also, they came with several inches of lift preset so I’m pretty sure they were a bit longer...I’ve backed them off to the stock height ( measured the height before I put the new shocks on at the fenders) but don’t know if that is the same length as stock. I could pull the shock and measure it now that the p5 has the same stock height (excluding the larger tires I just put on). The other issue here is the passenger side drive shaft is much shorter making its angle much steeper during a full extension. I wanted to get this issue on the forum also so others are aware of it. Thanks for the input.

C

Chooglin

You have more preload than I do. I’m guessing you are not having any binding issues......stock axles? Thanks again!
No issues at all. I set the preload to match stock height with 26" tires. Stock height is 9.6" so I set mine to 10.6" with the 26" tires.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Right...I sent them a message on their web site stating what is going on. No response yet. I didn’t measure the WE shock before I put them on. Also, they came with several inches of lift preset so I’m pretty sure they were a bit longer...I’ve backed them off to the stock height ( measured the height before I put the new shocks on at the fenders) but don’t know if that is the same length as stock. I could pull the shock and measure it now that the p5 has the same stock height (excluding the larger tires I just put on). The other issue here is the passenger side drive shaft is much shorter making its angle much steeper during a full extension. I wanted to get this issue on the forum also so others are aware of it. Thanks for the input.
I bet the shock is longer, may need a limiting strap like the 814's

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
C

Chooglin

I bet the shock is longer, may need a limiting strap like the 814's
He can set the length of the shock , simply by adjusting the preload. There is alot of adjustment their. Less preload will decrease travel though!

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
No issues at all. I set the preload to match stock height with 26" tires. Stock height is 9.6" so I set mine to 10.6" with the 26" tires.

Okay. That is what I’m doing also, although mine had about 8.5 inches stock. Sure appreciate your input.

C

Chooglin

Okay. That is what I’m doing also, although mine had about 8.5 inches stock. Sure appreciate your input.
I have a 2015 and I think it was in 2017 that Honda shortened the stock shocks by 1.00" , that's why the difference between your machine and mine...........I assume you have a 2017 or newer?

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2015 and I think it was in 2017 that Honda shortened the stock shocks by 1.00" , that's why the difference between your machine and mine...........I assume you have a 2017 or newer?

Correct...mine is a 2018 model. Thanks.....

Reactions: rtn001 and Chooglin

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!