J

Jacknmaggie

Supporting Member
May 22, 2021
Chippewa falls wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
20210820 173039
looks like the seal blew. Are these difficult to change and is there special.tools required. Almost 3000 miles and this is my first issue. Noticed it after trailering about 50 miles when I stopped.for gas.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I personally would just monitor it. If it is not dripping u will be fine. Mine leaked then stopped, then a few hundred miles more seeped some more....never enough to mess with my fluid level. I have 2100 miles and still no real issue. Just my .02

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'm going g to clean it up today and check fluid.mevels. then go for a ride and see what happens. Going to South Dakota in 12 days.
Ahhh youll be good! If u swamped it, its prob puking out some of the swamp mixed with diff that it ingested. I wouldn't sweat it. Now if it was a jeep, id worry! There drivetrain leeks on a sunny dry day! Lol

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You may also want to check your vent line, make sure it's clear. If it got blocked up you'll puke oil from the seal.
View attachment 290793looks like the seal blew. Are these difficult to change and is there special.tools required. Almost 3000 miles and this is my first issue. Noticed it after trailering about 50 miles when I stopped.for gas.
For your trip, grab some GL5 gear lube and a way to get it in the diff, easy access from the left front also shown in post 17.

What Dave said, check out post 17 here - (always linked in my sig)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That's cool CID, I didn't know it was a known issue on the Talon. Almost certainly his problem.
The sad part is Honda has finally acknowledged the problem and notified their dealers, this shouldn't still be happening.

ETA: it's also been noted that some seals have to seat and will seep a bit until that happens but this looks like a pretty big gusher.

Last edited:
J

Jacknmaggie

Supporting Member
May 22, 2021
Chippewa falls wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
The sad part is Honda has finally acknowledged the problem and notified their dealers, this shouldn't still be happening.

ETA: it's also been noted that some seals have to seat and will seep a bit until that happens but this looks like a pretty big gusher.
I checked my vent lines at both ends and blew through the tube. Both were clear. I changed the oil and have had no more seepage or drips since that initial mess. Going to do some road riding tonight to see if it will leak. I got two bottles of oil and a new seal if it comes to it.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I checked my vent lines at both ends and blew through the tube. Both were clear. I changed the oil and have had no more seepage or drips since that initial mess. Going to do some road riding tonight to see if it will leak. I got two bottles of oil and a new seal if it comes to it.
That's all you can do, clean it up, if it still leaks take the next step. Mine just dribbled a little and I could have lived with it for a long time but theft solved that particular problem and replaced it with other problems.

J

Jacknmaggie

Supporting Member
May 22, 2021
Chippewa falls wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
Well ten mile ride and it still leaks. Got a odd sound coming from the front under load. Goes away with 4wd engaged and while coasting. Any thoughts? Something to do with seal leaking?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well ten mile ride and it still leaks. Got a odd sound coming from the front under load. Goes away with 4wd engaged and while coasting. Any thoughts? Something to do with seal leaking?
Check the fluid level. If its low, pull the axel and check the seal for any abnormalities and replace if need be. Might have got some grit in there and ruined the seal’s surface.
Also, being low on fluid can make noise in a gear box. If you replace the seal, replace the fluid also.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mine has a growl in 4wd that let's me know I'm in 4wd. It also has a growl in 2wd depending on whether the driveline is loaded or coasting - that's defined by the ring/pinion setup, it could be either way, loaded or coasting but probably not both. My Talon is so mechanically noisy that I'm always wearing foam earplugs, even inside my helmet, it's probably much louder than I realize.

So if it's not grinding, crunching, banging or vibrating, it's probably normal. As mentioned, make sure your diffs and subtrans are full, both of my Talon's were delivered 10 oz. low in the subtrans - it's common, sadly and that's about 1/3 low. :confused:

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I had a 2019 X model with 3500 miles and it never leaked. Unfortunately it was stolen and I just picked up a new 2021 R model Saturday. Looks like it is leaking already. Noticed oil on the CV joint at the dealer and told them. Service Manager acted he's never heard of such a problem. Mechanic said he sees this a lot and he believes it is a design issue. He believes the bearing is too far away from the seal. In other words, the axle stub end cantilevers too far from the bearing to the oil seal, thus allowing some movement at the seal creating the leak. He may be right, but this design is not unusual compared to other brands that I have seen.

I'll run it a while and see if it stops. Per the part fisch, it appears that the 2021 models come with the new seal. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: Squeegee
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Mine has a growl in 4wd that let's me know I'm in 4wd. It also has a growl in 2wd depending on whether the driveline is loaded or coasting - that's defined by the ring/pinion setup, it could be either way, loaded or coasting but probably not both. My Talon is so mechanically noisy that I'm always wearing foam earplugs, even inside my helmet, it's probably much louder than I realize.

So if it's not grinding, crunching, banging or vibrating, it's probably normal. As mentioned, make sure your diffs and subtrans are full, both of my Talon's were delivered 10 oz. low in the subtrans - it's common, sadly and that's about 1/3 low. :confused:
What is this helmet you speak of. 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Squeegee and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!