BOX1

Front differential oil leak

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I noticed my front driver side differential is leaking out of the axel shaft. This is a new machine and I noticed it within putting on a 100 miles. Seems to me I have read This is a common thing. Has anyone else had this problem? Did having a new seal installed fix it?

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I noticed my front driver side differential is leaking out of the axel shaft. This is a new machine and I noticed it within putting on a 100 miles. Seems to me I have read This is a common thing. Has anyone else had this problem? Did having a new seal installed fix it?
Start here, post #17 -

Reactions: Smitty335 and TxDoc
Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Ok I checked the vent line at the differential the other day. I will check it going into the frame next. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smitty335
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I have noticed quite a few of guys with the leaking diff seal say that as long as it wasn't dripping out they kept going and had no issues with it. Some said it stopped seeping after another couple hundred miles. Sorry yours is leaking!(

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have noticed quite a few of guys with the leaking diff seal say that as long as it wasn't dripping out they kept going and had no issues with it. Some said it stopped seeping after another couple hundred miles. Sorry yours is leaking!(
Someone else mentioned that too, sometimes a seal has to seat and might leak 'a bit' until it does. 👍 My leak was insignificant but you risk ignoring it, thinking it's just a dribble and then it goes full retard and melts your differential - that was my biggest concern. :oops:

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Mine started weeping after 1k miles . Replaced under warranty , no leak since @ 5k . If it starts again and it is just a little like it was . I don't think I'll bother with it .

H

hondatalonr

Feb 6, 2021
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Friend here in AZ bought 100X from Nash. They told him at 100 mile service that there is a recall coming from Honda on the leak problem. They also told him they were ordering a new seal or seals for him to return later for installation and his is not even leaking? Maybe more dealer BS. My driver side seal has not started to leak again but have not put a lot miles on it. Another friend here with a 2019R has a driver side seal leaking. Don't know the miles. He had not seen it until I pointed it out. They don't seem to leak a lot, just messy. I would be tempted to just clean it and watch oil level for a while to see what happens.

D

Driesel15

Jan 6, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
add me to the leaky seals club. started dragging a tire tonight in the garage. no indication of problem emerging (noise, feel, drivability, sensor/code), while backing suddenly heard a tire squeal breaking feeling. Got out, skid mark on the concrete and passenger side will only rotate a 1/4 turn and its locked. Looked over the front end, driver side seal is leaking, will dig in tomorrow for more info. 2021 p1k5 1500 miles.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
add me to the leaky seals club. started dragging a tire tonight in the garage. no indication of problem emerging (noise, feel, drivability, sensor/code), while backing suddenly heard a tire squeal breaking feeling. Got out, skid mark on the concrete and passenger side will only rotate a 1/4 turn and its locked. Looked over the front end, driver side seal is leaking, will dig in tomorrow for more info. 2021 p1k5 1500 miles.
Talon or the Pioneer 1000 listed under your avatar? You’ll get more help from the P1K guys than the Talon guys If so.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Mine LF started seeping at a few hundred miles. Checked every couple hundred miles thereafter. At 3000 miles had probably added a total of about 6 ounces, so not that big of a deal, just messy.

At 3000 miles I also changed the oil in the differentials (used Napa synthetic). At almost 3300 now, the seeping seems to have stopped!

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Both of my Talons have the d left front dif seal leakage. The improved 2021 seal didn't help on my 2020 Talon. I'm getting the improved 2022 seal installed and the leak at the boot clamp fixed on Saturday, it may help enough to satisfy me. I don't mine wiping it down occasionally. My 2019 also makes enough of a mess to have to do a big cleanup and add fluid. I will get it fixed next.

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'll slightly modify a quote that an old friend used all the time...

"I got a front diff leak. You got a front diff leak. All God's children got a front diff leak." 😂

Mine has dribbled since 2019. I just check it every once in a while and add a few drops.

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone tried drilling the vent hole in the diff larger and adding a fitting that will accept a bigger ID vent hose?

• Wow
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!