Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Has anyone removed the front floorboard in a 1000? If so can it all be done from the inside or is there anything underneath that has to be removed? Looks like the plastic up the door hinge area has to come off also.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone removed the front floorboard in a 1000? If so can it all be done from the inside or is there anything underneath that has to be removed? Looks like the plastic up the door hinge area has to come off also.
Download the actual Honda winch installation instructions. They have you take all that stuff off to run the ground.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I had most of the damn machine apart installing the winch, on the first day I had it, without even taking it for a ride... lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Holy sh*t. They want someone to do that for a winch install! Basically dismantle 3/4 of the machine...

And I fell for it :mad: I did learn a lot about the machine, though. They have you do it to run the ground cable back to an engine ground.

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Holy sh*t. They want someone to do that for a winch install! Basically dismantle 3/4 of the machine...
It's mostly for the ground. The only thing I removed to install the winch was the hood and seat. I grounded it on the seat crossbar. And if you have the accessory harness that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter, you can reach up in there and do it by feel. I also put the winch control plug in the dash instead of the glove box. Then go back and zip tie all the wires.

Last edited:
J

JTW

It's mostly for the ground. The only thing I removed to install the winch was the hood and seat. I grounded it on the seat crossbar. And if you have the accessory harness that plugs into the back of the cigarette lighter, you can reach up in there and do it by feel. I also put the winch control plug in the dash instead go the glove box. Then go back and zip tie all the wires.
Where in the glove box does that go? I'm considering the blank space behind the glove box cover to the left of the latch hole... just concerned about glove box seal.

Reactions: sharp
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where in the glove box does that go? I'm considering the blank space behind the glove box cover to the left of the latch hole... just concerned about glove box seal.
I have too much crap in the glove box to take out when I need to plug the winch in. At first I left the plug under the hood so if I needed to winch I would just pop the hood off, now I've relocated it in the dash where the switches and volt meters are. I have the warn winch and the controller plug comes with a rubber cap that goes over the plug to keep it dry.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

I have too much crap in the glove box to take out when I need to plug the winch in. At first I left the plug under the hood so if I needed to winch I would just pop the hood off, now I've relocated it in the dash where the switches and volt meters are. I have the warn winch and the controller plug comes with a rubber cap that goes over the plug to keep it dry.
Yeah.. I don't mean in the box. I mean here.. IMG 1772

If I decide against that spot it will be on the dash by the switches.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would make sure it fits in that spot under the glove box cover. In the door there are some gussets to strengthen the door and it may prevent the door from closing. I was going to install my winch power switch there but did not for that very reason. I have to put that switch where my 3 1/2 year old son and almost 2 yrs. old daughter can't easily get to it. Still haven't decided on a spot yet. I have my winch socket just under the light switch knob on the drivers side. I can easily access it from outside.

Reactions: sharp
J

JTW

I would make sure it fits in that spot under the glove box cover. In the door there are some gussets to strengthen the door and it may prevent the door from closing. I was going to install my winch power switch there but did not for that very reason. I have to put that switch where my 3 1/2 year old son and almost 2 yrs. old daughter can't easily get to it. Still haven't decided on a spot yet. I have my winch socket just under the light switch knob on the drivers side. I can easily access it from outside.
I'm not even adding the switch... I'm just mounting the plug with the winch keyed on. That way I have a double safety. Key has to be on and the wired remote has to be plugged in. No accidental fiddling with the winch that way.

Corona1

Corona1

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2016
The Land of Cheese
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not even adding the switch... I'm just mounting the plug with the winch keyed on. That way I have a double safety. Key has to be on and the wired remote has to be plugged in. No accidental fiddling with the winch that way.

Did the same thing. Installed plug next to 12volt accessory plug. Looks factory and is out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah.. I don't mean in the box. I mean here..View attachment 29189

If I decide against that spot it will be on the dash by the switches.
Im not sure it will fit there with the rubber cover over the plug, It might if you cut it off but I wouldn't recommend it. You need about an inch of clearance with the cap on I'll check later when I go out to my shop.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't even believe nobody has asked this. What are you up to @snuffnwhisky ? I'm already in awe of your machine as is. You trying to make it worse? Lol.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Can't even believe nobody has asked this. What are you up to @snuffnwhisky ? I'm already in awe of your machine as is. You trying to make it worse? Lol.
Dynamating this pig. Noise wasn't bad till I added the roof and windshield. Now I want earplugs. Plus I ran my wiring in the intake tube and decided not to so I can hook it up factory easy. Either pull the floorboard or skid plate. Figured the floorboard was easier.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dynamating this pig. Noise wasn't bad till I added the roof and windshield. Now I want earplugs. Plus I ran my wiring in the intake tube and decided not to so I can hook it up factory easy. Either pull the floorboard or skid plate. Figured the floorboard was easier.
That was my first post after installing roof and windshield was a complaint bout the noise lol. I took roof off this summer for Street riding and the difference was unreal. I'm either going with dynomat or maybe trying some of that lizard skin. Like the idea of paintbrush application vs cutting n trimming the mat.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
That was my first post after installing roof and windshield was a complaint bout the noise lol. I took roof off this summer for Street riding and the difference was unreal. I'm either going with dynomat or maybe trying some of that lizard skin. Like the idea of paintbrush application vs cutting n trimming the mat.
I looked at the spray on stuff when i did my old vette interior. Went with the dynamat stuff and their 1/4" foam on top of it. The spray on I believe was ceramic based so it would probably be good for heat with some drop in resonance but don't know if it will block much noise unless u got real thick with it. Major difference in the vette now. Much like a modern car. The stuff can be real messy though. I went back and used duct tape on all exposed edges of it because the tar will squeeze out the sides. Adding dzus's to the roof, windshield and mid panel for easy removal also.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at the spray on stuff when i did my old vette interior. Went with the dynamat stuff and their 1/4" foam on top of it. The spray on I believe was ceramic based so it would probably be good for heat with some drop in resonance but don't know if it will block much noise unless u got real thick with it. Major difference in the vette now. Much like a modern car. The stuff can be real messy though. I went back and used duct tape on all exposed edges of it because the tar will squeeze out the sides. Adding dzus's to the roof, windshield and mid panel for easy removal also.
Good idea. I'd already decided on dzus fasteners.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good idea. I'd already decided on dzus fasteners.
They drop them all the time at work and kick them under the conveyors. And I come along and pick up every one I can get ahold of lol. Both male and female pieces lol. I got a decent collection going

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!