P500 Fuel Gauge Always Full!!

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
New P5 fuel gauge worked just fine. Have about 350 miles on it now, and the gauge says I'm not using fuel, it stays on full.....love the idea, but wish the gauge actually worked.

Anyone have an idea on how I could troubleshoot this dilemma?

Reactions: joeymt33
J

JTW

But seriously.. check the fuses. I had a jet ski that had a blown fuse and it would stay pegged. Maybe a ground?

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
There is a float on the sender unit in the tank. It's stuck on the side of the tank. Paine to deal with (if I'm right), hope you are still under warranty.

Reactions: JTW
Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
New P5 fuel gauge worked just fine. Have about 350 miles on it now, and the gauge says I'm not using fuel, it stays on full.....love the idea, but wish the gauge actually worked.

Anyone have an idea on how I could troubleshoot this dilemma?
I'm having the same problem did you ever find a solution for yours mine brand new barely 50 miles on it gas gauge always shows full I really don't feel like taking it to the dealership and leaving it there for a week but mine's under warranty did you get a solution?

RobbieS

RobbieS

Nov 26, 2016
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I'm having the same problem did you ever find a solution for yours mine brand new barely 50 miles on it gas gauge always shows full I really don't feel like taking it to the dealership and leaving it there for a week but mine's under warranty did you get a solution?
No, never found a real solution. More than 2 gallons used before it shows down one bar, and then the gauge drops quickly...I'm getting used to this abnormality.

Reactions: markie
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Same for me . 50% gone before it shows any used . I go by my trip meter and carry some extra fuel .

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
No, never found a real solution. More than 2 gallons used before it shows down one bar, and then the gauge drops quickly...I'm getting used to this abnormality.
Same for my machine but I also find I can fit a lot more than 5 gallons in my tank.

P

Piercej40

May 16, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000 deluxe. The fuel gauge stopped working within the warranty period. I live in Ohio, but spend the winters in Tucson, Arizona. Musselman's Honda in Tucson was very helpful in getting this fixed under warranty. 2 years later, I'm out in Tucson, and now the fuel gauge is not working again. It is $204 for the part. I don't know what labor would be. I'm going out and disconnecting the fuel pump and fuel sensor and plug it back in to see if that helps.

A

AZdonW

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000 deluxe. The fuel gauge stopped working within the warranty period. I live in Ohio, but spend the winters in Tucson, Arizona. Musselman's Honda in Tucson was very helpful in getting this fixed under warranty. 2 years later, I'm out in Tucson, and now the fuel gauge is not working again. It is $204 for the part. I don't know what labor would be. I'm going out and disconnecting the fuel pump and fuel sensor and plug it back in to see if that helps.
I have a 2020 p1000 that started showing always full. How do you unplug the fuel pump and sensor? Did it work?

P

Piercej40

May 16, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unplugging the electric going to the fuel pump and fuel sensor did not work. The gauge still shows full. I have heard some people say that the float may be stuck against the sidewall of the gas tank. So I filled it back with gas hoping that if it was stuck that it would fix itself. I don't know if that fixed it yet as I have not burned enough gas to see if it drops the bar. Buying a Honda fuel gauge and fuel pump assembly is $204. However, I find the same part number, probably with a different manufacturer for as low as $33 on eBay, and $80 on Amazon. If they only work for 2 years, I think I'm going to buy the $33 one. It looks very simple to remove the old fuel pump and install a new one.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
It may be the ethanol in the fuel.

Fuel Gauge Inaccuracy Due to Ethanol

While I'm one of those who thinks ethanol sucks donkey dik, no matter how much a float might swell up, there's no way that can make it read full all the time. Pull the pump assembly, turn the key on, and run the float arm through its travel; if that doesn't show varying fuel levels, then that rheostat/resistor is defective. I'd have no problem believing that ethanol killed the electrics though.

Reactions: Jerryg
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
While I'm one of those who thinks ethanol sucks donkey dik, no matter how much a float might swell up, there's no way that can make it read full all the time. Pull the pump assembly, turn the key on, and run the float arm through its travel; if that doesn't show varying fuel levels, then that rheostat/resistor is defective. I'd have no problem believing that ethanol killed the electrics though.
u r a smart tech

• Haha
Reactions: CID
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It has something to do with the float contacts, from what I am told.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!