Fully hydraulic snow plows :D

camopioneer

camopioneer

Sep 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so I posted a thread not that long ago trying to figure out the differences between the subframes of 1ks and 700's for the sake of trying to order an undercarriage for a Snowdogg plow I was looking at buying. Turns out they are numerous. Doesn't seem too many folks around here utilize a professional fully hydraulic type plow, so figured I'd give this a quick write up for what's available out there. I can fab and weld, but for the money the actual hydraulic professional series plows cost, I want it to be plug and play. I formerly owned a snow plowing business, with many trucks and steers, and like to think I know a thing or two regarding the industry. I'm not bashing the KFI, Champion etc etc type plows that come with simple straight blades and cost under a thousand bucks. They work well for the cost and what they are marketed to do. I'm discussing fully hydraulic units that don't utilize a winch. More specifically, hydraulic V plows. Western, Snowex, and fisher all utilize the same mount and won't discuss selling you a V plow as the stock components aren't rated for the weight those brands bring. 354 pounds. Full disclosure: I can get one, but the cost to upgrade to Elkas added in, they are too cost prohibitive. They WILL sell you a straight blade in stock form. Buyer's or Snowdogg as they are known in the industry does sell the V and it is a nice unit. I've used them extensively. For those of you looking to buy one, you're in luck, if you own a 700. Don't ask if you have a 1k as of the date of this post. Boss will sell you a unit and also their V. I like boss, but you can't get a trip edge unless you're into their DXT series which is VERY spendy and larger than what we're discussing here. Trip edge is pretty important to me, and the Boss UTV plow is exclusively full trip. Sno-Way. Yes Sno-Way. Probably not the best for commercial or heavy duty work loads; as the mold boards are not as rigid. They have long been branded a Homeowner brand. BUT, and I stress but. I bought one, as they come in at 293 pounds and they have very competitive pricing and a wireless controller? Weird, but I'm giving it a go. I'll report back when I have it from the dealer and I get it all wired up and installed. Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, so I posted a thread not that long ago trying to figure out the differences between the subframes of 1ks and 700's for the sake of trying to order an undercarriage for a Snowdogg plow I was looking at buying. Turns out they are numerous. Doesn't seem too many folks around here utilize a professional fully hydraulic type plow, so figured I'd give this a quick write up for what's available out there. I can fab and weld, but for the money the actual hydraulic professional series plows cost, I want it to be plug and play. I formerly owned a snow plowing business, with many trucks and steers, and like to think I know a thing or two regarding the industry. I'm not bashing the KFI, Champion etc etc type plows that come with simple straight blades and cost under a thousand bucks. They work well for the cost and what they are marketed to do. I'm discussing fully hydraulic units that don't utilize a winch. More specifically, hydraulic V plows. Western, Snowex, and fisher all utilize the same mount and won't discuss selling you a V plow as the stock components aren't rated for the weight those brands bring. 354 pounds. Full disclosure: I can get one, but the cost to upgrade to Elkas added in, they are too cost prohibitive. They WILL sell you a straight blade in stock form. Buyer's or Snowdogg as they are known in the industry does sell the V and it is a nice unit. I've used them extensively. For those of you looking to buy one, you're in luck, if you own a 700. Don't ask if you have a 1k as of the date of this post. Boss will sell you a unit and also their V. I like boss, but you can't get a trip edge unless you're into their DXT series which is VERY spendy and larger than what we're discussing here. Trip edge is pretty important to me, and the Boss UTV plow is exclusively full trip. Sno-Way. Yes Sno-Way. Probably not the best for commercial or heavy duty work loads; as the mold boards are not as rigid. They have long been branded a Homeowner brand. BUT, and I stress but. I bought one, as they come in at 293 pounds and they have very competitive pricing and a wireless controller? Weird, but I'm giving it a go. I'll report back when I have it from the dealer and I get it all wired up and installed. Stay tuned for updates in the coming weeks.
Wow that was a mouthful….

Seriously….hydraulics equal heavy…thats the bottom line.

knock a winch all you want but they are lighter, faster and more simple and quicker to fix.

all the plows you mentioned are heavy and your clearance is next to nothing because of it.

if you want to professionally plow you got the wrong UTV. Otherwise you just have an expensive plow on a off road vehicle not designed with it in mind.

I have a 72” Denali pro with electric turn and I wouldn’t dream of going heavier. It’s a tough plow that gets the job done. Clearance is only 5 or so inches when it’s lifted under the push frame and that’s one of the better ones for clearance.

camopioneer

camopioneer

Sep 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mod, Admin. Can you please move this thread to the Pioneer General discussion. I mistakenly placed it in Talon. Thanks.

Reactions: Lady01
camopioneer

camopioneer

Sep 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gonna revive this now that I got some time to get work done on the Pioneer1k5. Finally got the plow mounted on my Pioneer. A couple inches of squat with the stock shocks, but I managed to get a correct install height and attack angle to give me 6 inches of clearance when the unit is in a neutral raised position. Gonna run an equal ballast and see how she does. For you folks with Utv's, I did my due diligence. I never thought I would say "go buy a Snoway", but this is the best and lightest package available in this segment. At only 291 pounds, its light years ahead in the weight dept. above the competition. Its not braced as well as the western, fisher, snowex version...but how much heavy hitting are you going to do with a unit like this?? not sure about the weight on the boss, but they don't offer a trip edge in this size, and that was a non-starter for me. Installation couldn't have been easier, the sub- carriage literally took me 30 minutes to install and then a hot and ground. All the electronics are contained within the brain module and Hydraulic body in this unit. The wireless controller also serves a Bluetooth salter unit with agitator. The tech is nice and comes with 3 macros. Very pleased overall.

Buggypic2 Buggypic1

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice. It'd be cool if you could post some video of how it works, or links to some video already out there.

Where did you get it, and the cost?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could go to the Fox shocks, or something similar, then swap out your springs with something heavier for plowing season. A standard spring would be 350 lbs on the front, for about $150 you could throw on a pair of 450-500s and handle the weight of the plow nicely

camopioneer

camopioneer

Sep 8, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could go to the Fox shocks, or something similar, then swap out your springs with something heavier for plowing season. A standard spring would be 350 lbs on the front, for about $150 you could throw on a pair of 450-500s and handle the weight of the plow nicely
Sorry Dave, you beat me to it. lol. I bought the fox shocks, but figured I would run the stockers and see how they handle it. Worse case is I buy a set of rubber spring helpers. The plan was to get a beefier spring if the front end had too much squat, the truth is, it isn't any worse than a heavy duty truck with a heavy plow. So for now, I'll see how the buggy does with an equal ballast in the bed. Sno-Way Intl. | A Leader in Snow & Ice Control Equipment I got this one used after 1 season, it cost 3k. Every dealer sets their own price so use the web address to do a dealer locate (if this is something that interests you) and shop around if you have multiple dealers within driving distance. My dealer quoted me 3500, one down the street quoted 3900. It pays to shop. They offer a straight and a V blade. The Cost is difference is significant.

N

NDUB32

Mar 22, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased and installed the Boss Straight blade on my 2021 1000-5 Limited this fall. $3500 after tax, hydraulic fluid, DIY light kit and a die grinder bit. The wiring harness was on back order for ever but I was able to find some in Monroe, WI. Boss has a weird territory for their dealers so this made getting it a bit tricky. The install is not easy, about half the bolts line up and the others need to be expanded to allow them to fit hence the die grinder bit. I am not a fan of the plug for the control pad, it really needs to be flush panel mount instead of having a separate bracket for under a dash. Something else to note... If you are thinking ahead and want to also have a winch on the front, do not purchase the mounting bracket since the Boss plow mount has this incorporated into their setup. I love the plow though, it was worth every penny and all of the heart ache getting it installed. With the adjustable Fox Shocks on the firm setting only allows the front end to squat about 2 inches which was surprising since it it pretty heavy. Also, I recommend getting a snowmobile dolly kit for when it is detached so you can move it around as the unit is heavy. I will add some pictures in the next few days.20220208 172844120220208 17290020220208 17291820220208 17300720220208 17302720220208 17313820220208 173112

Last edited:
BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee

Jan 4, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BOSS straight blade.

I like it, it turned an hour job with my Walker mower w/plow or snowblower into about a 10-15 minute job. I also like how easy it is to put on / take off.

DNDtKrc

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!