P1000 Fuse block help

Dordon

Dordon

May 24, 2021
Eastern Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this has been discussed many times but my question is I want to add a Blue Sea fuse block to add a few accessories, I will be adding a second battery in the future but for now will run power from the main battery. What gauge battery wires to it and do I need a fuse between the block and battery. Thank you for the help.

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
You did not mention anything about the load you plan to place on the block. That is the deciding factor.

Usually people run 10, 8, or 6.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was a good recommendation for me from @bumperm

Most fuse blocks have a max rating of 100 amps. You will likely not pull more than that with anything you could add to the fuse block system.

Winches should always be directly fed by the battery. No blocks should be used.

Most people don't use anything between the battery and block. If you want something between the battery and block I would use a breaker. A breaker slightly less than the overall rating of the block would guarantee that you would never overload the system.

https://amazon.com/Welugnal-Automot...ing-Waterproof/dp/B0855FP9MX/?tag=sxsweb24-20

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was a good recommendation for me from @bumperm

Most fuse blocks have a max rating of 100 amps. You will likely not pull more than that with anything you could add to the fuse block system.

Winches should always be directly fed by the battery. No blocks should be used.

Most people don't use anything between the battery and block. If you want something between the battery and block I would use a breaker. A breaker slightly less than the overall rating of the block would guarantee that you would never overload the system.

Thanks!

My background is in electronics, USN ET-1 (1963 to '70). On ships and airplanes, circuit fuses are first located near the power source and sized to protect system wiring - the idea is that an overcurrent situation due to a short or other overload, will cause the fuse to blow before the wire heats enough to ignite a fire. Fuses are often located on the equipment as well, those fuses are typically much smaller and serve to protect the equipment.

Circuit fuses are sized according to the wire size, ampacity, they are protecting - that would normally be 1.1 to 1.5 times the recommended ampacity. Adding a circuit breaker or large fuse, between battery and fuse distribution block, only protects that short length of wire, as it's size does not allow it to protect the actual distribution system with it's smaller fuses and wiring. That's why it's rarely used . . . just like you normally won't find a CB or fuse between the battery and starter solenoid on a vehicle. :)

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What they said above.

I added a 30A marine circuit breaker on 10# positive wire between the battery and fuse box. I largely did it to be able to disconnect the entire box, not really for load protection. Most of your heavy draw accessories will use relays, not heavy current through the box.

IMG 2210

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What they said above.

I added a 30A marine circuit breaker on 10# positive wire between the battery and fuse box. I largely did it to be able to disconnect the entire box, not really for load protection. Most of your heavy draw accessories will use relays, not heavy current through the box.
Simply using a relay doesn't address concern about protecting distribution wiring. The wire supplying the relay, to then go through the relay contacts to the accessory, should be fused also. This is most often done at the fuse block. The whole idea is to minimize the number of wires attached directly to the battery posts, to the extent possible, protect wiring that, if shorted, could start a fire, and to minimize the extent of power loss in the event there is a short or failure - better to lose one accessory than have the whole thing shut down.

Failsafe is good. This is why on many small aircraft, the positive distribution buss is powered from a relay located near the battery, which is often some distance from the buss (usually for weight distribution concerns). That relay is controlled from the cockpit by switching its negative side. That way it presents no additional risk of fire if the control wire is shorted to ground - it simply keeps things powered on.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!