highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
This Africa Twin diplay with navigation would be awesome in future Talons. Ride Command competition. Honda, please include a retrofit steering column mount kit.

2020 africa twin gallery 02 750x750

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks good- what tablet and software are you using?
Galaxy Tab A 8
Avenza and Google Maps so far. Avenza doesn't work so good (always stays pointed North) because it requires a device with a compass and this tablet doesn't have one. Google Maps works perfectly without a compass so why Avenza can't manage to figure out what direction I am headed is beyond me.

Also use the tablet to play music via Bluetooth over the intercom. Even gives me turn by turn directions if I want.

I actually like the tablet over on the passenger side. That way they can search, route, adjust music, etc while I am driving and I can still reach it if riding solo. Thinking of moving the switches from the old console location, fabricating a Ram Ball Mount for the center and moving the tablet there but haven't had time to finish it (it needs some extra support to hold the weight)...

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i have the galaxy Tab A and use Backcountry Navigator. No North issues.

Reactions: PaulF
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
i have the galaxy Tab A and use Backcountry Navigator. No North issues.
Thanks! I will give that one a try too.

There are so many apps it is mind boggling :)

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Orux Maps and BCN as stated are good options for the Android Tablets. Or if you do a lot of trails that Lifetime Maps have, they are a good option as well

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Galaxy Tab A 8
Avenza and Google Maps so far. Avenza doesn't work so good (always stays pointed North) because it requires a device with a compass and this tablet doesn't have one. Google Maps works perfectly without a compass so why Avenza can't manage to figure out what direction I am headed is beyond me.

Also use the tablet to play music via Bluetooth over the intercom. Even gives me turn by turn directions if I want.

I actually like the tablet over on the passenger side. That way they can search, route, adjust music, etc while I am driving and I can still reach it if riding solo. Thinking of moving the switches from the old console location, fabricating a Ram Ball Mount for the center and moving the tablet there but haven't had time to finish it (it needs some extra support to hold the weight)...

View attachment 185085

I really like that plate/RAM ball idea. Currently, I've got my 8" Tab A mounted in similar location to yours. I haven't done the gauge relocation, but if I do, I think I'll probably fab a plate like that and mount a RAM ball on it. Mind if I tell everyone it was "my idea"? ;)

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I really like that plate/RAM ball idea. Currently, I've got my 8" Tab A mounted in similar location to yours. I haven't done the gauge relocation, but if I do, I think I'll probably fab a plate like that and mount a RAM ball on it. Mind if I tell everyone it was "my idea"? ;)

Steve
You can take the credit, I'm not one that really cares :)

I designed and fabricated my own relocation kit. It mounts to the wheel so it moves up/down as you tilt the wheel. With my aging eyesight, it is a godsend. I can now actually read my gauges while before I couldn't see s***.

The delay on the Ram mount is the flimsy structure that the original gauge mounts to. It is OK for the stock gauges or a switch panel but will need some beefing up to support a Tablet hanging out like that. And my Talon no longer has the stock cubby (Rugged Radio in there now) so I need to use my buddies machine to get it figured out and we haven't been able to hook up.

P

PGDiesel06

Mar 30, 2019
Pleasant Garden
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Do you keep your tablet plugged in while mounted, or no? I run the same tablet in my truck and I get low temp warnings when it is cold out. Looks like the Ram Tab-tite also? Without a case?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure if you are asking me or Dragon21 so here is my answers..

I do not keep it plugged it, that tablet stays charged for DAYS with normal use and all day with the map going on full daylight setting. It is the best tablet I have ever owned. I have had it a little over a year and never had any warnings whatsoever.

The mount is in fact the RAM Mount Tablet Mount Tab-Tite Cradle for 8 inch Tablets RAM-HOL-TAB24U and no case. Even though it is a somewhat universal cradle, it fits this particular tablet like a glove. However, be careful, there are several Tab A 8 inch versions and they are all a little different. I have the SM-T387V model AKA Tab A 8 (2018) Verizon.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I keep mine plugged in just to make sure I don’t have to worry about losing my maps while in the middle of WV backcountry

Reactions: stellarpod
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I keep mine plugged in just to make sure I don’t have to worry about losing my maps while in the middle of WV backcountry

Like Dragon21, I keep my Galaxy 8" Tab A plugged in. Why? Why not? There is a power plug right there in proximity to the mounted tablet. I do agree with PaulF in that it does hold a charge for a good long while. By the way, I usually have my Samsung 10s mounted on the A-pillar to the left of the steering wheel (also plugged in) just for redundancy. BTW - I use Gaia software (on both the tablet and phone) and find it extraordinary.

Steve

Last edited:
P

PGDiesel06

Mar 30, 2019
Pleasant Garden
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not sure if you are asking me or Dragon21 so here is my answers..

I do not keep it plugged it, that tablet stays charged for DAYS with normal use and all day with the map going on full daylight setting. It is the best tablet I have ever owned. I have had it a little over a year and never had any warnings whatsoever.

The mount is in fact the RAM Mount Tablet Mount Tab-Tite Cradle for 8 inch Tablets RAM-HOL-TAB24U and no case. Even though it is a somewhat universal cradle, it fits this particular tablet like a glove. However, be careful, there are several Tab A 8 inch versions and they are all a little different. I have the SM-T387V model AKA Tab A 8 (2018) Verizon.
Thanks... I was looking at this same setup since I have the same tablet, but just for use in my truck. I currently ride an ATV, so it's a bit too big for that application.

After searching a bit on the internet, I'm seeing it may be a 'cold charging' error, only showing when the tablet is cold and plugged in. Don't know what temps everyone rides in with their tablet plugged in, but I know alot ride in near 0 temps.

Glad to hear it works well for you.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!