Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks BA. A bit pricy but very nice. I like Garmin stuff. I use vvmapping in my Garmin and it works well. But for them to have one made for trail riding and all set up, they always do well when they do things.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
From personal experience, the InReach portion is SLOW and expensive and all your buddies have to have it.

I have a cell booster on my buggy. Usually always have service here.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
From personal experience, the InReach portion is SLOW and expensive and all your buddies have to have it.
Explain "SLOW" (seems like a simple word)

Is it just slow to find its location? Or does it not keep up with me?

I have been using garmin for 15 years or more. They are intuitive to me and I'm getting to old to learn a new language.

Having said that... I don't want a POS either.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never had issues with my InReach being slow. It’s actually a Delorme, before they sold out to Garmin. Been using it since 2013-14.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Explain "SLOW" (seems like a simple word)

Is it just slow to find its location? Or does it not keep up with me?

I have been using garmin for 15 years or more. They are intuitive to me and I'm getting to old to learn a new language.

Having said that... I don't want a POS either.

The inreach portion is Satellite communication, it’s SLOW usually a ping every 5 mins that uploads/downloads data burst so a single 2-way text can take 10mins.

It was $70 a month and I have a SAT phone for $55 a month. In RB and Tackett Verizon is getting much better so I only used it twice at night to check in with the family make sure everything was ok at home.

Reactions: JTW and russknight
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never had issues with my InReach being slow. It’s actually a Delorme, before they sold out to Garmin. Been using it since 2013-14.

I had a Delorme and upgraded to the Garmin version couple years ago. In the hills of TN through the foliage it’s somewhat slow. On boat in ocean it’s much better, out west the Delorme was fairly quick but it HAD to be outside in the cab it was SLOW.

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Delorme and upgraded to the Garmin version couple years ago. In the hills of TN through the foliage it’s somewhat slow. On boat in ocean it’s much better, out west the Delorme was fairly quick but it HAD to be outside in the cab it was SLOW.
I use mine mostly out west and less vegetation...

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm gonna bump this thread and ask....

Has anyone gotten on of these?
Is it the greatest GPS on the planet?
Does anyone have any new info/comment to add to this?

I really don't want to spend $700, but I want the very best GPS setup I can get.

Reactions: Remington
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I went with the Garmin GPSMAP 276Cx for a couple of reasons. It's waterproof, I can use it on the street, trails, or Gulf in my boat. It also has both GPS and GLONASS receivers. It accepts Birdseye satellite imagery, TOPO maps, and you can also install Google Earth imagery if desired. It's a very versatile unit.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
After considering the Garmin I decided to go with a simple Android tablet and Gaia, Polaris. and Avenza aps. That leaves me about $500 to buy digital maps such as Nat Geo trail maps, if needed. The Samsung tablet has not had a single issue in southern Utah canyons, mountains, forests, or wide open spaces.

I'm currently using the Avenza app the most, it's free, and the color country trail maps I use the most are free. As I expand more, I'll likely use Gaia.

Reactions: russknight

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!