elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
UPDATED: I am now officially a Garmin dealer. I can get pretty much anything they make except for high end Marine and Avionics. I will be placing my initial order next Monday so if there is anything you are wanting from them, please let me know.

Garmin has dropped their new product(s). I hope to have these available by the end of March as I am in the process of becoming a dealer ... Items I will carry as they become available

Garmin Tread - GPS and two-way radio in one unit

Garmin Power Switch .... switching unit controlled by garmin devices or phone app!

Overlander

Group Ride Radio

I will also carry the InReach and InReach enabled products.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Garmin has dropped their new product(s). I hope to have these available by the end of March as I am in the process of becoming a dealer ... Items I will carry as they become available

Garmin Power Switch .... switching unit controlled by garmin devices or phone app!

Overlander

Group Ride Radio

Hopefully the price drops a lot... hard to add all that unless it’s a new build and several of your riding group are willing to drop the cash to replace existing commas/mapping/switch control.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hopefully the price drops a lot... hard to add all that unless it’s a new build and several of your riding group are willing to drop the cash to replace existing commas/mapping/switch control.

You have a good point. Once I have some in hand I really want to check the specs on the trail radio. I am hopeful that the Tread uses NMEA standard data comms.

The choice of MURS is interesting as it is a low powered VHF spectrum that does not require any license. I like it for trail comms in a group because it is not heavily used. If this catches on, that will change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3

Overlander

Group Ride Radio

Garmin is the best! I've owned several of their GPS units (including the one I have now) and they never let me down.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It’s official. I am a Garmin dealer now.

I am now officially a Garmin dealer. I can get pretty much anything they make except for high end Marine and Avionics. I will be placing my initial order next Monday so if there is anything you are wanting from them, please let me know.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Two notes

For those that haven’t wired up accessories yet - look closely at the Garmin PowerSwitch. The specs impress me!

Number two. I will not be able to honor discount codes on Garmin ... their MAP policy has some teeth

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Two notes

For those that haven’t wired up accessories yet - look closely at the Garmin PowerSwitch. The specs impress me!

Number two. I will not be able to honor discount codes on Garmin ... their MAP policy has some teeth

As it should. We continually fight low ball web based sales. One thing most people don't consider when purchasing is service after the sale.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As it should. We continually fight low ball web based sales. One thing most people don't consider when purchasing is service after the sale.

Yes, we do too at my day job as well as fighting Chinese knock offs.

Most MAP and MRP policies will allow for discounts to membership organizations ... but not this one. Explains why you Google search on an item price and they are all the same!

DrShotgun

DrShotgun

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 20, 2020
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the tread only communicate with other garmin units?

Reactions: Smitty335
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yes, we do too at my day job as well as fighting Chinese knock offs.

Most MAP and MRP policies will allow for discounts to membership organizations ... but not this one. Explains why you Google search on an item price and they are all the same!

MAP pricing is good, IMO. Helps fixed based businesses compete with the online bottom feeders. We appreciate all of our manufacturers who employ MAP pricing.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Does the tread only communicate with other garmin units?

Right now it will communicate location information only with other Tread devices. I need to get my hands on one and see exactly how it is doing it as there are several ways it could be done (like it could be using a modified version of APRS). My guess is it is proprietary.

From a voice comms perspective, it will communicate with any radio that can tune to MURS frequencies (151.82, 151.88, 151.94, 154.57, 154.60 MHz - all in the vhf range). The TREAD has the ability to use CTSS and (I think) DCS codes which can help with congestion on the airwaves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
MAP pricing is good, IMO. Helps fixed based businesses compete with the online bottom feeders. We appreciate all of our manufacturers who employ MAP pricing.

100 percent agree ... it keeps a level field for retailers to advertise yet still allows room for negotiating ...

S

Surveyor

Lifetime Member
May 13, 2019
Auburn, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm really interested in the Tread but at 5.5“ it seems too small, barely larger than a smart phone. Has anyone seen one in the wild and think they are large enough?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Product starting to come in
3632fcb490a5bf039731efd9874e7b66

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm really interested in the Tread but at 5.5“ it seems too small, barely larger than a smart phone. Has anyone seen one in the wild and think they are large enough?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As you see from the picture, I have some in stock. Compared to a tablet, the screen will seem small. If you have used a Garmin navigator in a car it is OK.

But I am biased as I am a long time Garmin user (before they had mapping units - my first unit was more expensive than the Tread and did good to get a fix in 10 minutes and only displayed lat lon.) and now a dealer ...

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tagged to follow. I have played with low wattage car to car MURS HT comms and not been overly impressed with distance in hilly terrain. Just did some car to car GMRS mobile testing and have had expectations vastly exceeded considering it is UHF. Regardless this is some interesting tech and hey, another comms unit in the cab can't hurt....right? We always carry an older Garmin GPS with us and just got our son a GARMIN InReach which is very impressive. Saving to get one for myself.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Tagged to follow. I have played with low wattage car to car MURS HT comms and not been overly impressed with distance in hilly terrain. Just did some car to car GMRS mobile testing and have had expectations vastly exceeded considering it is UHF. Regardless this is some interesting tech and hey, another comms unit in the cab can't hurt....right? We always carry an older Garmin GPS with us and just got our son a GARMIN InReach which is very impressive. Saving to get one for myself.

MURS is short distance comms - no doubt. The benefit is it does not require a license. I am hopeful that the product will evolve and adapt to other frequency spectra.

That said, they had to get an exception from the FCC rules to create this item.

Keep me in mind when you are ready for the InReach. I have a mini here now and can get almost anything they make in short order.

Sam

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We will definitely be in touch on the inreach. I prefer in community verses big box buys. Everyone who ventures off grid should have one. My son ( who happens to be a first responder) is super impressed as he has a legal obligation to respond if he comes across an accident in the backcountry. He can send a text or email directly to our dispatch, or Garmin emergency center with coordinates and a nature of emergency message. It is a game changer in his opinion. Folks have no idea of the time it takes to get a call from a remote accident site to responders in area with no cell or radio coverage.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks for the deal on the InReach 👍 ! Quick and easy

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!