Gear oil

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just got done changing the oil and changed the front and rear diff as well. I was at the dealership today, not one I'v ever gone to they just happened to be the closest one where I was at today, and they sold me two 8 oz bottles. Well as most of you may know it takes about 17 oz or a tad more to do the job. I asked the guy behind the counter to check to see how much I needed and he told me to look at my owners manual!! Or I could bring it in. What a tool bag. Anyway, I have some Bel-Ray synthetic 80-90 Hypoid gear oil here. Thought I might just top off the front diff with that. I don't need to ride it anytime soon, and I can swing by another dealership if needed. So no real need to add the Bel-Ray if that would create a problem. Thoughts? Useful input?

Reactions: Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would not mix different weights or mix synth with dino so ss long as it is the same weight and type (synth or dino) then you should be fine.

Reactions: Isaiah
70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Go ahead, even if it's different weight, it just blends. It's not a problem to mix dino and syn either. As long as it 's good quality, ie: good brand name!

Reactions: William and Mudwing
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I'm with PaulF, I don't like mixing different weights or synthetics/dino. But I don't typically use the Honda fluids past my break-in. I have yamilube in the diffs and I am about to switch to amsoil through out the rest of the machine. I ran these oils in both my pioneer 1000's and they ran like butter!

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks. I figure I'll just pick and top off with Lucas 80/90 Hypoid, and it's not synthetic. Its the best stuff I have ran in the diffs in my RZR. But in my other honda's (Rincon and Rubicon) I used Bel-ray synthetic. I'm a fan of Amsoil as well. Good stuff for motors, and before RZR went to the Prostar engines, it was the go to oil for the older motors.

Reactions: William
CaptArn

CaptArn

Lifetime Member
Feb 9, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X4
The thing about all oil manufactures is they may use different additive packages to meet API certifications. Never mix oils across manufactures and once you pick a manufacture try to always keep that oil in your engine, trans or diff. Although all products may meet an API certification their additive package may not be compatible.

Reactions: Y-JAY81 and Biteme
TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
After I get the machine broke in I will be changing the front and rear diffs to shockproof. Good stuff 😉

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oil is oil... As long as it’s the correct certification, it doesn’t matter which as long as you have some in it. Mix it all you want.. Swap back and forth syn to Dino. Doesn’t matter. There is no proof of any harm. However there are lots of reports backing my above statements.... Go to bobistheoilguy dot com... many useful articles.

Reactions: CID
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Oil is oil... As long as it’s the correct certification, it doesn’t matter which as long as you have some in it. Mix it all you want.. Swap back and forth syn to Dino. Doesn’t matter. There is no proof of any harm. However there are lots of reports backing my above statements.... Go to bobistheoilguy dot com... many useful articles.

So are you trying to say that the cheapest dino oil (as long it's the proper certification) is just as good and protection is just as good as the best syn?

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So are you trying to say that the cheapest dino oil (as long it's the proper certification) is just as good and protection is just as good as the best syn?
Nowhere in my statement do I say that.... I use the best syn oil most of the time. I said it will not cause harm as long as it is the proper certification. And swapping or mixing them will not cause harm.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nowhere in my statement do I say that.... I use the best syn oil most of the time. I said it will not cause harm as long as it is the proper certification. And swapping or mixing them will not cause harm.
Seeing as you know how to change the diff oils,drain them out and fill w a good brand synthetic.Difiniatly made my pioneer gearboxes a lot quieter.

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seeing as you know how to change the diff oils,drain them out and fill w a good brand synthetic.Difiniatly made my pioneer gearboxes a lot quieter.
I have royal purple gear oil in mine... I run synthetic in everything I have... Always have.

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Apparantly I’m not that technologically adept.I was trying to tell the guy that started this thread to straighten his diff oils in his Talon out.I ve seen the stunt rider posts and know u know ur stuff

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Apparantly I’m not that technologically adept.I was trying to tell the guy that started this thread to straighten his diff oils in his Talon out.I ve seen the stunt rider posts and know u know ur stuff
LoL.... Former stunt rider... I tore too much stuff up acting a fool on my p500 and
p700-4... I’m taking it a little easier on my 1000-5!

TalonR65

TalonR65

Mar 29, 2020
Tucson AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I use shock proof. Used in Harley 6 speed tranny works great.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

I was just clarifying your statement and did not think that was what you were saying. Thanks!

Y

Yono

May 2, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone used Schaeffers synthetic gear oil in the front and rear diffs and if so what has been your experience?

Y

Yono

May 2, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone used Schaeffers synthetic gear oil in the front and rear diffs on a Honda Pioneer 1000 and if so what has been your experience?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!