BOX1

P1000 Getting the jitters

O

Obob

Apr 5, 2021
Mi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As i'm waiting for my P1K5 base model to arrive in a couple weeks (or so). I'm getting the jitters as i read the
the horror stories for the cost of 1st service Schedual maintenance, Shift cable adjustments on new machine, Etc.
And even some posts commenting "Junk Ass Hondas", Are those true sentiments or sarcasm?
I am mechanical, But it just does sound like a lack of quality control for such an expensive vehicle.
I Plan on doing my own service, can't fathom paying those costs.
Nor do i plan on buying extended warranty coverage, Any thoughts and/or comments?
Anyone have a list of those service maintenance scheduals? For my old Tractor and my snowmobiles i have manuals
Is there one available for this machine?
Just having jitters,
wondering if its worth buying. My main use is going to be on my 20 acres working fire wood etc. and riding to a couple river spots with wife and friends, grandchildren. Some road riding, some trail riding, I won't be baja or mud bogging, Just Family fun.
?

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As i'm waiting for my P1K5 base model to arrive in a couple weeks (or so). I'm getting the jitters as i read the
the horror stories for the cost of 1st service Schedual maintenance, Shift cable adjustments on new machine, Etc.
And even some posts commenting "Junk Ass Hondas", Are those true sentiments or sarcasm?
I am mechanical, But it just does sound like a lack of quality control for such an expensive vehicle.
Nor do i plan on buying extended warranty coverage, Any thoughts and/or comments?
Anyone have a list of those service maintenance scheduals? For my old Tractor and my snowmobiles i have manuals
Just having jitters,
wondering if its worth buying. My main use is going to be on my 20 acres working fire wood etc. and riding to a couple river spots with wife and friends, grandchildren. Some road riding, some trail riding, I won't be baja or mud bogging, Just Family fun.
?
I've had mine since 2018 and have 4,000 miles on it and never had a problem that wasn't something I did lol. I would extend the vent lines and skid plates and call it good. I never had to adjust the cables on mine . And I'm pretty sure junk ass Honda is sarcasm lol

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from Mississippi. I did my own service,oil change etc. The only Junk a$$ Honda term that I know about was in jest. Mine is over 5 years old, besides recalls it's never been back to the dealer and never had any problems. Ours is used mainly as a utility ride for the yard and animals. If you become a lifetime member here I think that the manuals are accessible. If you do have a problem, someone has probably seen or had the same problem and can help if you need it. I only have the P1K-3 and did not buy the extended warranty. Pics when you get it.
#NTC

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The junk ass Honda's is sarcasm. Very long story lol. A lot if our BS is sarcasm. The good quality machines. Yes you can get a service manual many of us have one. If your doing your own service, if ur mechanical I sugest you do, you'll be fine. As for the intervals, for what ur doing once a yr for oil change should be fine. But that manual will give u the "manufacturers" recommended intervals

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im not sure about anyone else's experience, but mine has been great so far (since Jan 2020).
most of my riding is at the hunting lease, which is rocky and has some pretty steep hill climbing.
So far i have found one stripped bolt in my bumper but nothing else wrong.
i have manuals
paying members of the forum get access to the service manual
Anyone have a list of those service maintenance scheduals?
paying members of the forum get access to the service manual, there may be someone that posted it in a public area of the forum
?
this is really a question only you can answer.
here is my 2 cents
1. ALL machines have their faults
2. People that have problems are typically the ones you hear from

For me the P1K5 was really the only choice. i needed a vehicle that had a short wheelbase that I could use sometimes with 4-5 people (kids in the back), and it needed a bed on it. Typical utility buggies for 4 were way too long to maneuver where i need to take it. And i dont like belts. so decision made.
it sounds like you need a good bed. is maneuverability not an issue for you, and is it important to haul a bunch of people comfortably with your bed full (P1K5 back seats are OK for kids and short trips w adults)? if so maybe something like a ranger crew or defender max is better

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As far as the basics (maintenance intervals and such) you can download the owners manual free from the Honda site, so you can read up on that stuff before delivery. A service manual is something you're going to want as a diy'er,

O

Obob

Apr 5, 2021
Mi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow, thanks to all for the feed back. I do feel better!
I did look at my reel needs for passenger capacity and then the bed for working on my property, the short wheelbase for my trails.
and everything overall. this is the one.
thanks again.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Just having jitters,
?
I own four Honda SXS models, one I bought in 14, one I bought in 16, one I bought in 18, and one I bought in 20…..
Never a problem with any one of them. They’ve only been in the shop for routine maintenance, safety bulletins and a couple recalls….

Never broke down, never stranded. There’s annoying things like terrible heat on some models, rattles and squeaks, cup holders that won’t hold s*** and shifting noise when new, etc., but not unlike what you might have on other brands that have that and often break down on the trail….🤔

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just having jitters,
?
The "junk ass honda" saying came about because of this PRICK that use to be on this site. He owned a pioneer 1000-5 and then bought a sport model kawasaki and was always downing hondas after that. You can't argue with a PRICK, so i just started calling mine JUNK! I've had my 2018 1000-5 for 3 years now. Best money I've ever spent by far. Ive met and rode with some really good people because of the pioneer. 9600 miles and never been broke down and I've only missed 1 day of riding because of a broken fan blade. The broken fan blade was due to me hitting a deep creek(hillbilly car wash) at about 30mph. I'm sure the fan was running when the force of the water hit it. I've conquered obstacles that I never dreamed I could make it up.. It's taken a beating and still going. I'm sure with your intended use, you will get many many years of use out of it. Unless you was to really get A JUNK ASS machine. Every manufacturer will produce a certain percentage of junk ones. I just believe Honda produces less JUNK ASS machines that other brands.

Last edited:
B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only junk ass honda I've personally purchased an Accord damn thing feel apart on me. I had couple Bombardier Quads of which I sold my rider and bought a Rincon used 2009 in 2014 for $5800 bucks rode the piss out of it. Nice and quiet only let me down once turned out to be a fuel pump ordered a new one and off I went. Recently sold it to help fund this Phantom SE I keep hoping it'll show up one of these years.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
All the recent posts about build quality was one of the reasons I bought my first Yamaha.

It does seem like Honda has quality control issues as of late, more than ever.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
All the recent posts about build quality was one of the reasons I bought my first Yamaha.

Have you ever went to a Yamaha forum? They're f***ing JUNK too. I would own a Yamaha but their quality isn't going to be any better than honda or kawasaki. The Rmax design is better than a Pioneer 1000 but it's 5 years newer than the pioneer.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

I have to respectfully dissagree with that statment. Everything made or half made and assembled in the US is suffering with quality control issues right now NOT just Honda. The China Virus has caused these issues like it or not! Right Now is Not the greatest of times to buy a lot of things new! Honda can't help that good and enough workers combined aren't available to push out a product with a high demand of it. With that, you see rushing & quality issues. I'm seeing it in my industry as well. This is just a platform to highlight those issues. One thing is for sure,there hasn't been any major issues with Honda past the missing oil,leaks and so on.
Yammi is a good machine btw. I Bet they have there fair share as well

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have to respectfully dissagree with that statment. Everything made or half made and assembled in the US is suffering with quality control issues right now NOT just Honda. The China Virus has caused these issues like it or not! Right Now is Not the greatest of times to buy a lot of things new! Honda can't help that good and enough workers combined aren't available to push out a product with a high demand of it. With that, you see rushing & quality issues. I'm seeing it in my industry as well. This is just a platform to highlight those issues. One thing is for sure,there hasn't been any major issues with Honda past the missing oil,leaks and so on.
Yammi is a good machine btw. I Bet they have there fair share as well
It's only speculation, but It really does seems like Honda has been more lax with quality control lately.

My Yamaha seems to be built like a brick s*** house, am I going to have any problems? Who knows but I am very impressed with it's build quality so far. I think they are running a tighter ship right now.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I have no disagreement with your statement, but I will say Honda backs there recalls, my 16 P1 has had several recalls on that model.To many. I've heard Yamaha, Kawasaki, do the same and take care of recalls / defects. Happy trails !

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Have you ever went to a Yamaha forum? They're f***ing JUNK too. I would own a Yamaha but their quality isn't going to be any better than honda or kawasaki. The Rmax design is better than a Pioneer 1000 but it's 5 years newer than the pioneer.
They are def having some issues with the RMAX but not build quality issues more design or engineering issues, this is it's first year.

I bought an X2 which has been on the market for about 5 years now. They have made some serious improvements over the years.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!