junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi all.

I just got done bolting on a Benz Silent Rider because I like quiet riding with my wife and dogs-don't want to go "BAJA" with my weak back-old fart driving.I ride 50% pavement, 50% woods with rolling hills, a few rocks, plan to hunt with it. The Pioneer is much quieter now yet tire drone is loud and the stock tire's 4 ply rating doesn't inspire confidence. I've been looking for stock size radial tires (the rig barely clears the top of the garage opening now) with a smooth, rounded tread pattern, good wear properties, quiet and all terrain capable (except I don't care about deep mud). I have called a couple of UTV dealers for suggestions only to discover they don't know jack. I've also searched this site and have found out one thing-there are so many choices it's tough to decide!

I considered the Kenati Mongrel but want a little more mud/wet clay capabilities (plus, I hear they catch rocks in the tread and fire them out like bullets!). I have been looking at the AMS Pro Radial, which seems to have a little more aggressive tread pattern than the Mongrels but are light and 8 ply. The AMS Slingshot won Chaparral Motorsport's 2018 "Best All Around Tire Award" and hoped its' more civilized brother would share some of the same qualities. I've also heard good things about Sedona Coyotes, Tusk Terrabites (too heavy?), Maxxis Ceros (a little too square-maybe twitchy?) and ITP Blackwater Evolutions (look good), all available in stock sizes as well. With only 36hp to spin them I don't want a heavy tire.

So there you have it-can anyone suggest what tires would suit me?

Thanks!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Might look at STI Chicane RX in 26x10x12 they weigh only 29 lbs. 8 ply DOT radials. Should be good for what you want. Probably lowest prices on them would be RMATV.COM.

Chicane RX | STI Powersports | Tires & Wheels for ATVs, UTVs, Motorcycles

Screenshot 20180808 144741 Chrome

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I run 26x9x12 Roctane XD on my little P500, trust me those would work fine front and rear.

Reactions: junior1954
junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I hear you! Honestly, I don't need ground more ground clearance the way I ride. Lower center of gravity a good thing for me as well as clearance issues. Have thought about chopping it but too cheap and don't know how to weld.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I hear you! Honestly, I don't need ground more ground clearance the way I ride. Lower center of gravity a good thing for me as well as clearance issues. Have thought about chopping it but too cheap and don't know how to weld.

Simple fix just roll it repeatedly like @JTW & @Kilo427 unit you mash 4" in off height of cage. :p:p

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm an analogue guy in a digital world. I just did a custom search of our forum and found all kinds of info-sorry! I think I'm leaning towards the Blackwater Evo.'s. I've read they're quiet and overall handling seems to be as good as it gets in an all terrain radial tire. Plus, with the wider spaced lugs I won't have to worry about picking up and flinging rocks; the wider lugs should also be better in mud and loose stuff than the more truck-like Tusk. The tire sizes are 1" wider (9's in front, 11's in back) than the stock rims but they'll fit the stock rims. I also like that the diameter is slightly smaller than listed-low rider here we come! Next, air suspension! (KIDDING! CM'ON) Is Rocky Mountain the best place to buy them?

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Now I'm reading the Evo's are loud. Definitely tradeoffs-no tire's going to do it all. Have to digest this info.-kinda running out of my ears about now.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Light duty truck tires are the best thing I ever did for mine rides great no tire noise and should last long time but mine are 29 inches tall and had to buy 15 inch wheels but smaller car tires would work

Reactions: JTW and junior1954
junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
After a fair amount of reading reviews and getting good input from the above members and previous posts I ordered stock sized Tusk Terrabites from Rocky Mountain (along with a Tusk Modular Storage Bag and a pair of grab handles). A light truck-type tire with lots of reviews saying how quiet they are and praising overall performance (except for deep mud). Looking forward to them! Thanks to all for your advice!

Dave_H

Dave_H

Sep 15, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
What size terrabites and how do you like them? I’m thinking of doing the same.

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
i got 25x8x12 & 25x10x12, stock size. They are still in the shrink wrap they were shipped in and probably won’t be installed until spring as I am recovering from back surgery. I’ve read they’re great in everything except deep mud and sand dunes, quiet and wear well but have no first hand experience. I’m rare in that I don’t want more height (I’ve also heard these tires run small) as I won’t be doing hard riding and the lower the center of gravity the better the handling. I put a set of Fox Podium shocks on in an attempt to ease back strain and wow, are they fantastic. I’ll post a review once I install the tires. Good luck!

Dave_H

Dave_H

Sep 15, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Thanks !!

I hope your recovery goes well, I think I’ll go with the 27” front and rear and post my results as well. I also heard they run small and are fairly heavy at 30 pounds. No need for extra height here in west MI but a few more mph on hard pack would be nice.

junior1954

junior1954

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2017
Loda, Illinois
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks !!

I hope your recovery goes well, I think I’ll go with the 27” front and rear and post my results as well. I also heard they run small and are fairly heavy at 30 pounds. No need for extra height here in west MI but a few more mph on hard pack would be nice.
Thanks! Doing great. I hear they shine on hardpack and roads as they are based on light truck tires. Stock size in mid to high 20’s, not light but not too heavy (I hope).

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!