AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you live in Alaska and your vehicle windshield doesn't look like a mine field from all the rocks and gravel, you don't drive enough.

With that said, has anyone found or devised a method to protect your Pioneer's windshield while in tow? I went to a local tent and tarp shop that does custom work and they quoted me $595 for one. I about choked on my coffee. Granted, what they would make will be really nice and will definitely protect the windshield, but that is a little steep. I was willing to pay in the $200 range.

I'm thinking about maybe using a piece of polyethylene plank, wrapping it in a 5x7 or 10x12 tarp, wrapping the excess tarp around the ROPS into the cab, then using wratchet straps or bungee's between the ends to secure it.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Have you given any thought to having a lexan or poly windshield cover cut out to fit over the windshield frame and attach it with something like a bungee cord at each corner?

If you are wanting a cushion between it and the glass just trim a piece of polar fleece to fit the cover and glue it to it, nice and tidy and polar fleece doesn't retain water. Don't know about availability up there but in lower 48 Walmart sell them 50"x 60" for $6.

Reactions: AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you given any thought to having a lexan or poly windshield cover cut out to fit over the windshield frame and attach it with something like a bungee cord at each corner?

If you are wanting a cushion between it and the glass just trim a piece of polar fleece to fit the cover and glue it to it, nice and tidy and polar fleece doesn't retain water. Don't know about availability up there but in lower 48 Walmart sell them 50"x 60" for $6.

I'd thought about plexiglass as you described, but I would like the cushion, too. I didn't think about polar fleece. Nice idea. Thanks Jackal!

Reactions: JACKAL
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What if you backed your rig onto the trailer?

That's a good idea and I thought about it, but the front windshield is the only enclosure I have besides the side nets. If I did that the inside of the windshield would be plastered with bugs, which is the original reason I started thinking about covering the windshield. Then I took a look at the windshield on my truck and realized that the machine was in the line-of-fire, too. Also, with it backed onto the trailer there's still a chance of a rock catching the inside. I know I'm probably being overly cautious.

Reactions: dotman1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Piece of plywood just bungeeied? If they were tight the rubber seal would hold it in place?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Piece of plywood just bungeeied? If they were tight the rubber seal would hold it in place?

And that might just be what I end up doing. Simple and effective. I also like @JACKAL's idea above.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's a good idea and I thought about it, but the front windshield is the only enclosure I have besides the side nets. If I did that the inside of the windshield would be plastered with bugs, which is the original reason I started thinking about covering the windshield. Then I took a look at the windshield on my truck and realized that the machine was in the line-of-fire, too. Also, with it backed onto the trailer there's still a chance of a rock catching the inside. I know I'm probably being overly cautious.
If by chance you do break it glass shops can cut new one for about 140 just do you can sleep a little easier

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If by chance you do break it glass shops can cut new one for about 140 just do you can sleep a little easier

With my luck it would happen on the way out to ride or hunt. One place I go every few years for caribou is about 400 miles north of here. I'll get something on there to protect it.

Reactions: Tundra
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You know if you took @JACKAL s idea of plexiglass drill holes and affix six suction cups around the corners and long sides then just affix to the glass it would be cheap be cushioned and look better as well.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I bought mine broken to save money. It's layered glass like a windshield in a car. I still haven't replaced it yet but will this winter

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You know if you took @JACKAL s idea of plexiglass drill holes and affix six suction cups around the corners and long sides then just affix to the glass it would be cheap be cushioned and look better as well.

THIS is exactly the reason I posted here. This is a great idea!

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
THIS is exactly the reason I posted here. This is a great idea!
You could also take you a piece of rubber like a rubber belt and tie it on with bungee cords. This would be cheap and effective I would think.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use to tape pieces of corrugated card board over my ATV head lights when going on road trips. I suppose a big piece would work and also be light weight.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could also take you a piece of rubber like a rubber belt and tie it on with bungee cords. This would be cheap and effective I would think.

Maybe an old snow machine (snowmobile) belt might work, depending on it's width.

G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
I use a piece of blue bubble wrap type stuff I got from a body shop. They use it to cover the new bumpers during shipping. Super tough. So I cut it to fit and use some tape to hold it in place. Works wonders. Been on many trips from wasilla to tok and chicken without any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you live in Alaska and your vehicle windshield doesn't look like a mine field from all the rocks and gravel, you don't drive enough.

With that said, has anyone found or devised a method to protect your Pioneer's windshield while in tow? I went to a local tent and tarp shop that does custom work and they quoted me $595 for one. I about choked on my coffee. Granted, what they would make will be really nice and will definitely protect the windshield, but that is a little steep. I was willing to pay in the $200 range.

I'm thinking about maybe using a piece of polyethylene plank, wrapping it in a 5x7 or 10x12 tarp, wrapping the excess tarp around the ROPS into the cab, then using wratchet straps or bungee's between the ends to secure it.

Any thoughts?
Come over to my house and get my neighbors donkey and strap it to it that way it will quit breaking through the fence and harassing the cows! I'm looking out the window and he's doing it now! I'm just kidding. Just aggravated now! It probably wouldn't work but it would look funny going down the road!

Reactions: lee and AKRider
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a piece of blue bubble wrap type stuff I got from a body shop. They use it to cover the new bumpers during shipping. Super tough. So I cut it to fit and use some tape to hold it in place. Works wonders. Been on many trips from wasilla to tok and chicken without any issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's sounds like a good and inexpensive option. I picked up a few things today to make one. I'll document in pictures and post it when I'm done.

mikeholley

mikeholley

Supporting Member
Nov 15, 2020
Sonoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Any thoughts?
Here is a car window protector that would probably work.

https://amazon.com/Camco-45401-Vinyl-Windshield-Protector/dp/B0024ECGZC/?tag=sxsweb24-20

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tow my machine on gravel roads, so I had to do something.
I bought two furniture moving blankets/pads.
The first lays across the windshield and the second overlaps at the hood and down around the grill, lights and winch.
After placing them, I used outdoor furniture thread and stitched four, cheap ratchet straps across the pads at points where they can cinch down and hold everything in place. It doesn't look as hillbilly as it sounds (no duct tape or bailing wire).
No pics because they're not here in my house. And peace to my hillbilly friends. ;)

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!