BOX1

P500 GOING BACK TO 24'S TIRES!

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
OK, hear me out..... I live in florida "LAND OF THE STINKY SUGAR SAND TRAILS >:-0 " Thats all I hit mainly. Went out to the Ocala Forest and went riding with wifey, When I hit sugar Sand trail DEEP sand the p5 would RPM too high in 3rd gear and I would MANUALLY shift to 4th then it would bog down but stay in 4th at lower rpm. I could run at way too high RPMS and stay in 3rd or run lower RPMS stay in 4th, I noticed when I stay in 4th and gun it in 4wd after a long run it will shift funny afterwards "like it would take LONGER to shift from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th after a long run in sugar sand struggling in 4th. (ONCE IT COOLED DOWN IT WOULD SHIFT NORMAL, WHY???) I have 26" sunF tires and 1.5 wheel spacers on all wheels, FYI I cant go TOO fast in 4th because the damn trails are SOOOOO bumpy & whoopy feel like I'd shake the machine apart AND I HAVE WALKER EVANS ON ITS AN IMPROVEMENT BUT.......

SOLUTION: Going to go back to a 24" tire to regain some HP in 4th gear to help running with a partner! MAYBE IT WILL ALLOW HIGHER RPMS IN 4TH WHILE RUNNING IN SUGARSAND???

Plz help, Opinions?

Reactions: HiFive and rtn001
Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
OK, hear me out..... I live in florida "LAND OF THE STINKY SUGAR SAND TRAILS >:-0 " Thats all I hit mainly. Went out to the Ocala Forest and went riding with wifey, When I hit sugar Sand trail DEEP sand the p5 would RPM too high in 3rd gear and I would MANUALLY shift to 4th then it would bog down but stay in 4th at lower rpm. I could run at way too high RPMS and stay in 3rd or run lower RPMS stay in 4th, I noticed when I stay in 4th and gun it in 4wd after a long run it will shift funny afterwards "like it would take LONGER to shift from 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th after a long run in sugar sand struggling in 4th. (ONCE IT COOLED DOWN IT WOULD SHIFT NORMAL, WHY???) I have 26" sunF tires and 1.5 wheel spacers on all wheels, FYI I cant go TOO fast in 4th because the damn trails are SOOOOO bumpy & whoopy feel like I'd shake the machine apart AND I HAVE WALKER EVANS ON ITS AN IMPROVEMENT BUT.......

SOLUTION: Going to go back to a 24" tire to regain some HP in 4th gear to help running with a partner! MAYBE IT WILL ALLOW HIGHER RPMS IN 4TH WHILE RUNNING IN SUGARSAND???

Plz help, Opinions?

Reactions: rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I don't think the diameter of the tires means sh** in sugar sand, it's the weight and tread pattern. First thing I would recommend is take that thing out of auto and you control the shift, automatic is for the road IMO. We have lots of sugar sand up here and I've seen heavy tires (like RipSaws) dig in and get stuck. A tire with more flotation will do better but any tire will struggle in the real soft stuff. That P5 will handle 26's all day!

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500

Plz help, Opinions?
All the above is just a fact of having 28h.p. ,and short a-arms.my machine does the same here in sandy areas.I think a clutch adjustment will help your slow to grab problem in 4th and fifth gear.I have gone from 26" to 25",just to see,but went back to 26.These machines,with 28hp are not good in power robbing sand.

16p500

16p500

May 13, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I experienced the same issues when I use to ride there. Ocala is fine if your on a 4 wheeler or big bore sxs, not a p5. I've been riding in Osceola NF for several years now and the p5 does great there. I would try Osceola before I'd change my machine. It's a lot better place to ride in my opinion and it's free.

Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
All the above is just a fact of having 28h.p. ,and short a-arms.my machine does the same here in sandy areas.I think a clutch adjustment will help your slow to grab problem in 4th and fifth gear.I have gone from 26" to 25",just to see,but went back to 26.These machines,with 28hp are not good in power robbing sand.

So going back to 24's I should notice a difference being I'm on 26s now right? How about 1.5 wheel adapters that shouldn't make much of a difference right I can leave those on this thing is killing me on sugar Sands very frustrating

Reactions: J80 and rtn001
nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
So going back to 24's I should notice a difference being I'm on 26s now right? How about 1.5 wheel adapters that shouldn't make much of a difference right I can leave those on this thing is killing me on sugar Sands very frustrating
The 24 lighter weight and smaller dia. will make it seem to have more power,but they may not ride on top of the sand as well as those 26's do.Wheel spacers are not affecting anything with your sand issues.Like I said above,happy riding in sand takes lots of power to stay up on top of it,Our p-5's don't do well in this arena.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
you can try it. but your probably not going to see a difference. not sure what widths you have but a good light wide paddle style tire would be your best bet. sugar sand slows my p7 from 45 to 25 full throttle easy. thats with a good set of 10s and 12s paddle tires.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: J80 and rtn001
Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I did have the tires inflated to max PSI that probably didn't help the 26 in tires run in the sand, what's the lowest PSI I can go with oh my 26 inch tires front 26 x 8 x 12. And rear 26x10x12 what's the lowest PSI I could get away with in that tire?

Reactions: Lofar and rtn001
Steve00

Steve00

Feb 15, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Get a Pioneer 1000 and problem solved. My P500 can't pull most hills in 4th on a hard surface let alone sand. Just need to graduate past power wheels sized SXS.

P1000 are too wide most of the trails I ride in Florida they don't groom the damn trails what I really need to do is move out of Florida but that ain't happening my wife works for the state I know this is a Honda site but I think I might be starting to regret not getting a RZR 900 Fox Edition they seem like they got lot better suspension travel and horsepower please don't judge

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did have the tires inflated to max PSI that probably didn't help the 26 in tires run in the sand, what's the lowest PSI I can go with oh my 26 inch tires front 26 x 8 x 12. And rear 26x10x12 what's the lowest PSI I could get away with in that tire?
does the p5 have a parking brake? if so the method i use is a cinder block. pull the front tires up on a cinder blocks edge and pull the e brake. air down till your comfortable. usually right as the tire starts to fold is where i call it. this gives enough room for impact at speed so you dont damage a wheel.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does sugar sand have some water content, I assume?

Been paying attention to shifting a lot lately...
P500 - Shifting seems to be getting inconsistent.

Last weekend there was actually a lot of water running, and i got a reminder of something I noticed some time ago, and that's the fact that water splashing/submerging on the engine seems to "change" the clutch adjustment as though it's too tight (delayed re-engagement). 30 seconds-1 minute after getting out of it, the shifting returns to normal.
We're not talking about a huge difference, but noticable. My theory is that it cools the cases enough to contract it minutely, and throw the adjustment off just a smidge (I always have found the clutch adjustment works better if done at operating temp). Other than that, I can't explain the shifting thing.

I agree that 500 will never be able to respond fast enough for mud/snow in auto, and should be run on manual. At least until it gets the DCT.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Does sugar sand have some water content, I assume?

Been paying attention to shifting a lot lately...
P500 - Shifting seems to be getting inconsistent.

Last weekend there was actually a lot of water running, and i got a reminder of something I noticed some time ago, and that's the fact that water splashing/submerging on the engine seems to "change" the clutch adjustment as though it's too tight (delayed re-engagement). 30 seconds-1 minute after getting out of it, the shifting returns to normal.
We're not talking about a huge difference, but noticable. My theory is that it cools the cases enough to contract it minutely, and throw the adjustment off just a smidge (I always have found the clutch adjustment works better if done at operating temp). Other than that, I can't explain the shifting thing.

I agree that 500 will never be able to respond fast enough for mud/snow in auto, and should be run on manual. At least until it gets the fact.
no its like a fine and coarse sand mix. dry itll stop a machine in its tracks easy. you probably got a few places over there like it but more than likely far and few inbetween

Reactions: rtn001 and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
no its like a fine and coarse sand mix. dry itll stop a machine in its tracks easy. you probably got a few places over there like it but more than likely far and few inbetween

Then nevermind my shifting rambling...:p

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Then nevermind my shifting rambling...:p
we have alot of it over around the rivers here in Louisiana. be trucking down a road at 40-45 pedal to the floor hit it and be down to 20 sometimes lower easy on a p7

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!