Going to Spearfish, SD in June

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
7 of us will be riding June 6-11. First ride in that area so looking for good tips from someone who has ridden those trails. Thanks

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Love that area!!! @Vikes79 probably can help you with that...👍

Reactions: Prntckt
CaptArn

CaptArn

Lifetime Member
Feb 9, 2016
Columbus, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X4
Have you looked at the Black Hills National Forrest web site? If not theres a lot of info including maps, riding areas, permits, ect.
Great ATV riding areas and miles and miles of fire roads. Where are you staying?

Reactions: 100Acre and Prntckt
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@-Bear- @NewHere2

It’s a great place to ride. Watch for fire danger. Bring extra water and a fire extinguisher or 2.

You will need the Avenza maps app and simply download before you journey out.

For first timers I recommend starting in Nemo SD. You’ll need a permit to ride.

From Nemo you can see some cool trails.

if you can, hit the Badlands too!

The flag pic is over looking Nemo SD. First pic is looking north at bear butte between Nemo and Sturgis on Bulldog canyon trail.

If you search the site for Black Hills, lots of good info.

Starting from Spearfish might require some highway time (or trailer) to find the trails. You’ll have to work your way to Deadwood to find them.

5D0A969F E8B6 43B9 832B 5EC58BEE49BD087039C3 EE64 4B84 BCC9 280420759ABC7D93BA4D A0AF 4B99 BADA 41491E81FD182DB0985A 13BF 4123 A257 2DFF831C4CAAFAEF6FD2 0503 4CE6 ADD9 A31FABB39FD861F2B728 4E03 4AE8 A6B8 F3FFE898235F10AF540D 8E31 44CE A56F 4D889D3E4416

Last edited:
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have you looked at the Black Hills National Forrest web site? If not theres a lot of info including maps, riding areas, permits, ect.
Great ATV riding areas and miles and miles of fire roads. Where are you staying?
Yeah we checked out those things and YouTube, Avenza maps Etc. Just looking for feedback from someone here who has been. Thanks. Staying at Holiday Inn, Spearfish convention center, June 6-11th.

Reactions: Vikes79 and Prntckt
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
@-Bear- @NewHere2

It’s a great place to ride. Watch for fire danger. Bring extra water and a fire extinguisher or 2.

The flag pic is over looking Nemo SD. First pic is looking north at bear butte between Nemo and Sturgis on Bulldog canyon trail.

Starting from Spearfish might require some highway time (or trailer) to find the trails. You’ll have to work your way to Deadwood to find them.

View attachment 273521View attachment 273522View attachment 273524View attachment 273525View attachment 273527View attachment 273528View attachment 273529
Thanks, great info.

Reactions: Vikes79 and Prntckt
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
7 of us will be riding June 6-11. First ride in that area so looking for good tips from someone who has ridden those trails. Thanks
I’ll be watching this thread. I am going out there for the first time in mid July with seven other machines. Staying in the Terry Peak area.

Reactions: Vikes79
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
@-Bear- @NewHere2

View attachment 273521View attachment 273522View attachment 273524View attachment 273525View attachment 273527View attachment 273528View attachment 273529
Awesome pictures and great advice. Is there a specific Avensa map(s) you’d recommend?

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’ll be watching this thread. I am going out there for the first time in mid July with seven other machines. Staying in the Terry Peak area.
I’ll post plenty of pictures. We are now up to 10 people confirmed and maybe 2 more.

Last edited:
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Awesome pictures and great advice. Is there a specific Avensa map(s) you’d recommend?
These are the ones we downloaded
Black Hills NF
-Bearlodge ranger district MUVM
-Hell Canyon Ranger district MUVM
-Mystic ranger district MUVM
-Northern Hills Ranger District MUVM

Last edited:
Reactions: all4sho and Vikes79
-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
@-Bear- @NewHere2

Love that place, I access most of those via the Piedmont trailhead. Got 3K miles logged between hills and Badlands. Avenza is most definitely the way to go. I have also been using this website to prioritize our weekend rides. It has gps markers for each trail system which includes all the things to see while riding that trail system. It tells you where everything ( mines, old bridge crossing, historical site, etc.) is located.

IMG 4081

BE0FE0AE 560A 4291 A4E3 4EDBED7E40DE

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Black Hills NF
Those will get you anywhere in the hills, I also keep 2 extra on mine for badlands coverage (I use mostly for hunting), but if you find your way out to do something like the Farmingdale ride, they will cover you

EF9EF7BF 9070 4E3B 80FC C2EB7795781B

Reactions: Prntckt and Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Black Hills NF
Yep those are the ones you need!

Reactions: Prntckt
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
While planning the trail rides I see a lot of trails marked 62” but our Talons are 64” width. Are their any issues for us riding on those trails? Narrow bridges or pipe trail guides, trail tree gaps, Rangers don’t allow, etc. We ride legally but just wanted some local feedback on what goes on there. I’ll call the ranger station but just curious. Thanks

Reactions: Prntckt and -Bear-
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While planning the trail rides I see a lot of trails marked 62” but our Talons are 64” width. Are their any issues for us riding on those trails? Narrow bridges or pipe trail guides, trail tree gaps, Rangers don’t allow, etc. We ride legally but just wanted some local feedback on what goes on there. I’ll call the ranger station but just curious. Thanks
Honestly I don’t know if I can answer that very well?

I’ve never been hassled about my P1k5...but some of the gates are super tight!

Some of the trails are tight. Just don’t drive like a jack wagon and be courteous to others.
You won’t be smoking along at 40 mph on most of the trails anyway ( too many blind corners, hair pin turns, etc).

Gaps between trees can be tight. My P1k5 rubs the top frame a lot at times.

A talon should be just fine on the 62” trails.

Reactions: Prntckt and -Bear-
Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Ranger told us they hired 10 new temp. people this year to check the trails for over width vehicles and reckless activity. $250 fine and no longer issuing warning tickets first. I guess that extra 2 inches is a big deal after all. I hope he wasn’t just BS’ ing us. Well the next step up is the 82” trail system OR Colorado.

-Bear-

-Bear-

NTC Master Fabricator
Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2019
Black Hills, SD
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Like @Vikes79 said, you should be fine. I have only ever seen one enforcement of vehicle width since I began riding the hills and it was someone with a K5 Blazer on a 62" trail that was supposed to be closed from too much rain. There are some trails like the Cenntenial Trail (#8089) that have bridge crossings, they get a little on the skinny side. The first bridge on that trail coming from the trailhead near the Sugar Shack rubs both my driver's and passenger's tires simultaneously on my P1K5. Also, the summit of that trail has some great rock crawling, but when you begin the descent, it has a sluice box that rubs both sides of my upper cage. Most of the places will have a small bypass if you find the gap is too small to stay on the main trail. Just don't get caught trying to make your own paths that don't exist, that is where rangers ( and people, worry more about the locals) can get hostile.

Randy6911

Randy6911

Oct 20, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon X
Like @Vikes79 said, you should be fine. I have only ever seen one enforcement of vehicle width since I began riding the hills and it was someone with a K5 Blazer on a 62" trail that was supposed to be closed from too much rain. There are some trails like the Cenntenial Trail (#8089) that have bridge crossings, they get a little on the skinny side. The first bridge on that trail coming from the trailhead near the Sugar Shack rubs both my driver's and passenger's tires simultaneously on my P1K5. Also, the summit of that trail has some great rock crawling, but when you begin the descent, it has a sluice box that rubs both sides of my upper cage. Most of the places will have a small bypass if you find the gap is too small to stay on the main trail. Just don't get caught trying to make your own paths that don't exist, that is where rangers ( and people, worry more about the locals) can get hostile.
We stay on marked trails, ride at reasonable speeds and try to obey the rules. Unfortunately after hearing what the ranger said today about more aggressive enforcement this year, some of our group is getting concerned. I told them I was going and if I get a ticket the $250 fine will just be part of the trip expenses. We have enough people to split up into smaller groups and have good rides anywhere. So far nobody has backed out. We are 5 trucks with tandem wheel trailers driving 1,300 - 1,500 miles each, 2 people flying in and about 40 motel nights for the group we definitely want to have a great time. Hobbies never pay out, you just have to enjoy yourself and friends. Thank you guys for all the good info on the area. Here is an article about the enforcement.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We stay on marked trails, ride at reasonable speeds and try to obey the rules. Unfortunately after hearing what the ranger said today about more aggressive enforcement this year, some of our group is getting concerned. I told them I was going and if I get a ticket the $250 fine will just be part of the trip expenses. We have enough people to split up into smaller groups and have good rides anywhere. So far nobody has backed out. We are 5 trucks with tandem wheel trailers driving 1,300 - 1,500 miles each, 2 people flying in and about 40 motel nights for the group we definitely want to have a great time. Hobbies never pay out, you just have to enjoy yourself and friends. Thank you guys for all the good info on the area. Here is an article about the enforcement.
As a life long resident of SD whom has been riding the logging road or off road areas since the early 2000’s on quads and Ford Rangers, I don’t see any thing alarming in that article. As long as I can remember it’s always been people trying to work together.

It has always been the jack wagons that don’t respect the area that create problems. IE driving trails after heavy rains, etc.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!