Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just had a run in with the local pd in the small village where I live. The cop said no road use whatsoever. He didn't even know the laws surrounding the ohv plate and registration I have. I questioned street legalization for the machine and he stated that even if granted by the state and a full size plate they would not allow it. I'm in a rural farm community in Ohio. Need some more info on the exact forms and process to make my pioneer fully street legal. @Neohio has a full size plate and I've also talked to a few others who have accomplished this. any guidance is appreciated.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Why’d you let him catch you?
It's a small village of about 2k people and I'm the only pioneer around. It wouldn't be hard to figure out where I ran to. The thought did cross my mind but I've been trying hard to do things the adult way. Now I'm going to get it legal and shove it up their a$$.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I spelled out the basic process on Facebook in the Pioneer of Ohio group.
If memory serves correct, google DPS 1373.
Make sure you have the required equipment. Have any police officer in Ohio sign off on inspecting it aka verifying required equipment. Head to title office for body code change. This will take the longest unless you have the title in hand. Once done, they will issue you a memorandum to go get plates.

I found the form and attached it.

Attachments

• DPS1373.pdf
    80.5 KB · Views: 358
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Bummer. A lot of these town clowns will hassle you no matter what. Now he knows who you are, and even if you go get everything 100% legal he can still stop you and write you a ticket. Then you have to waste your time going to a hearing to avoid paying the fine. They don't like being told they are wrong. In our town it's been a revolving door of flunkies in and out for years...some okay, some not so okay.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I suggest making a trip to the local, in town police station and inquire on the details. For me, you can buy the decal/register it with the town and they will let you know where it can be operated and not. I have found them to be very helpful on the "front end" and when pulled over you have details to share with whomever....

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I spelled out the basic process on Facebook in the Pioneer of Ohio group.
If memory serves correct, google DPS 1373.
Make sure you have the required equipment. Have any police officer in Ohio sign off on inspecting it aka verifying required equipment. Head to title office for body code change. This will take the longest unless you have the title in hand. Once done, they will issue you a memorandum to go get plates.

I found the form and attached it.
Thanks that was what I was after. Its definitely more comforting to know another in my state has accomplished this with success.

Reactions: seig
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a small village of about 2k people and I'm the only pioneer around. It wouldn't be hard to figure out where I ran to. The thought did cross my mind but I've been trying hard to do things the adult way. Now I'm going to get it legal and shove it up their a$$.
FB IMG 1577110004369

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I suggest making a trip to the local, in town police station and inquire on the details. For me, you can buy the decal/register it with the town and they will let you know where it can be operated and not. I have found them to be very helpful on the "front end" and when pulled over you have details to share with whomever....
They act like they are tough until you put your foot in their a$$. Once it has a full size plate I will happily play their game. I pay for a lawyer through work weekly and have yet to use it. If they continue once the machine is legal I'll challenge their view of registration on my pick ups, cars, and trailers. In my eyes if it has a tag to run like a car with a road use designation on the title they can piss and moan all they want Ill let the lawyers sort it out.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know a bunch of guys that have street plates on their sxs's.
I believe when the law went into effect, the county or cities had to pass an ordinance not allowing them on the road.

J

JTW

I know a bunch of guys that have street plates on their sxs's.
I believe when the law went into effect, the county or cities had to pass an ordinance not allowing them on the road.
I sure don’t see how... I know it happens all the time but it pisses me off. What’s the f***ing point of higher government? I could argue both ways on that... but it’s just such a s*** show. If state law allows it, then that’s the f***ing law... particularly when we’re talking about something regarding transportation!

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I sure don’t see how... I know it happens all the time but it pisses me off. What’s the f***ing point of higher government? I could argue both ways on that... but it’s just such a s*** show. If state law allows it, then that’s the f***ing law... particularly when we’re talking about something regarding transportation!

Run for office JTW 2020! "make america not a s*** show again"
How can i contribute $1 to your campaign?

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I couldn't agree more. If the bmv says it's legal then it is. It pisses me off that I see others in razors and can ams ripping around like a$$ holes then I get stopped and hassled doing nothing wrong. Hell even the police and fire depts have sxs and run them. The douche bag even insulted me further but telling me if it was a golf cart there wouldn't be an issue. I'll be sure to update even if it's a post of my mug shot.

J

JTW

I couldn't agree more. If the bmv says it's legal then it is. It pisses me off that I see others in razors and can ams ripping around like a$$ holes then I get stopped and hassled doing nothing wrong. Hell even the police and fire depts have sxs and run them. The douche bag even insulted me further but telling me if it was a golf cart there wouldn't be an issue. I'll be sure to update even if it's a post of my mug shot.
Oh, I’d have flipped my s*** over that comment!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

go to Walmart and get a cheap set of golf clubs...cheaper than registration right?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don’t like s***ting in my back yard but if it’s legal its legal. If you’re in regulation on tires signals or things you need in your area I just might push it. Maybe even call the wrecking company ahead of time for possible tow. Then take in your ticket with a dispute.
Maybe that cops butthurt because his pos is in the shop. At any rate the law isn’t in one mans hands. I respect cops but not those power hungry ones that were beat up as children so the badge gives them purpose to get back on others.

Last edited:
J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just had a run in with the local pd in the small village where I live. The cop said no road use whatsoever. He didn't even know the laws surrounding the ohv plate and registration I have. I questioned street legalization for the machine and he stated that even if granted by the state and a full size plate they would not allow it. I'm in a rural farm community in Ohio. Need some more info on the exact forms and process to make my pioneer fully street legal. @Neohio has a full size plate and I've also talked to a few others who have accomplished this. any guidance is appreciated.

I don't live there so can't say about your area...but here I did street legal, which only required side mirrors and a horn, no rearview mirror required (but I added one) the only stipulation here is, I can't go on any road where the speed limit is 55 or higher...so no freeway travel and no state roads at 55 or above. They give out motorcycle plates, the small ones, not full size...with tags and all. Be best to get street legal and then learn all the laws, even better than the officer does so if he stops you again you'll know your rights. Might want to get a camera to, to record it. I have a go pro I carry around to record my riding that I'd probably use but so far I have yet to be stopped by any officer for anything.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!