Talon Got my new 1000x and starting to wonder...

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
so I live in WA and took delivery of a new 2019 Talon 1000X in Blue purchased from RideNow in Chandler AZ. Even though I’ve not yet gotten the chance to drive it except for up and down the street a few times. I’m thrilled with the Talon, however I’ve already found a missing hood mount grommet and one of the tail light mount grommets missing which allowed the tail light to flop around and most likely would fall out with much aggressive riding. I have a 3 day ride planned for this weekend and had to go to the hardware stores and search for something that would work to keep the hood from rattling and the tail light from falling out. Not very happy. I called RideNow and spoke to the salesman who has to run the idea of sending me $2.00 worth of grommets all the way up the management chain. Pretty much blows me away as if I was trying to con them out of two rubber grommets when I just bought a $20,000 machine from them site unseen!
I haven’t even mentioned the spider that was stowed away in the Talon that bit me on the arm and has my arm swollen to the point they put me on antibiotics!! lol

Beyond those things, the overly sensitive throttle tip-in Is a real deal and will take a learning curve to drive smoothly. First test fit into the toy-hauler was a nerve racking event with spinning wheels on the ramp and white knuckles on the wheel!

Hopefully whoever forgot to install the grommets wasn’t in charge of installing anything more critical!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Wow, that’s a depressing story......:eek:

Btw, don’t know that the Throttle Max is available for the Talon yet, but keep an eye out for it, they really help with the sensitivity. :cool:

Last edited:
RockR

RockR

Hammer Down Trail Hound
Lifetime Member
Apr 15, 2019
SE Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Congratulations on the new Talon and welcome to the group.
It's a shame about the missing grommets, but like you said, easy fix. Salesmen suck to deal with,but spiders REALLY SUCK!!!
I have found that putting the right side of my shoe against the firewall/tunnel really helps with the throttle sensitivity, but I have the benefit of having a fairly wide foot. Try it and see if it helps you. Takes a while to get used to it.

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was (and still am) missing one hood gromet too. Haven't found it to be an issue. Will eventually get one.
The throttle, to me, doesn't feel any more sensitive than my last three sxs machines. I guess I'm trained. Ride it, you'll get there.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Heres my temp fix until the ThrottleMaxx hits the market. It's not perfect but helps quite a bit.
20190418 163002

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was (and still am) missing one hood gromet too. Haven't found it to be an issue. Will eventually get one.
The throttle, to me, doesn't feel any more sensitive than my last three sxs machines. I guess I'm trained. Ride it, you'll get there.

I think it’s is Polaris, could be CanAm, that has different settings for throttle sensitivity on their 850 & 1000 cc ATVs to control over sensitive throttle response but I believe they are throttle-by-wire systems and I think I read where the Talon is still a cable throttle so maybe they can’t program the throttle response differently. I know some car manufacturers will intentionally make their initial throttle engagement over sensitive to give the illusion of having more power than they really have. Regardless, I’m sure it’s just going to take a few miles to adapt to the unit before I don’t even notice it.

The DCT Trans is a whole different feel for sure, but it’s pretty cool so far and I can’t wait to get it up on the trails! So far the Talon has shown real promise in traversing the roundabouts on my street!!

cummins14

cummins14

Jul 18, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was missing a hood grommet as well. Not a big deal, but the painted area where the hood meets the fender area could've rubbed a place in the panel without the grommet. My dealer sent me one with no issues. Enjoy the Talon and welcome to the family of owners!

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was missing a hood grommet as well. Not a big deal, but the painted area where the hood meets the fender area could've rubbed a place in the panel without the grommet. My dealer sent me one with no issues. Enjoy the Talon and welcome to the family of owners!

Thanks! I’m hoping my dealer is going to come through too, but so far they don’t seem nearly as anxious to get it taken care of by this weekend as I am! I Love writing product reviews, both good and bad. The review I write on this dealership is already teetering and their response to this issue could determine which side of the fence the review lands on.

H

HondaTech

Thanks! I’m hoping my dealer is going to come through too, but so far they don’t seem nearly as anxious to get it taken care of by this weekend as I am! I Love writing product reviews, both good and bad. The review I write on this dealership is already teetering and their response to this issue could determine which side of the fence the review lands on.

Honestly if this scenario played out at our place, you'd be lucky if one of us didn't run those parts to you or mail them depending on distance.

Last edited:
Reactions: RockR
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honestly if this scenario played out at out place, you'd be lucky if one of us didn't run those parts to you or mail them depending on distance.
That’s good to know, and in reality, that’s how it should be. Could be it’s because they know I live 1,000 miles away and can’t show up in their showroom expecting some resolution. I told them I’m willing to pay for the parts to save 3 days of getting management approval to just send them to me, but didn’t get much response. I suspect the parts probably aren’t in stock anywhere yet anyway and will have to be ordered from Japan! The salesman assured me the Talon was completely intact when it left their place.... as of someone there made sure the tail light mounting grommets were all there. Not!

H

HondaTech

We would've pulled them off something if they weren't in stock, but we usually keep a lot of grommets in stock.

I've said the same thin before, they don't care because of how far you drove to get the unit. They aren't expecting to ever hear from you again. Then youll come to me and I'll fix it right for you and get your business from here on out.

Reactions: popeye and Mudder
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Must be an assembly thing at the factory, apparently the "hood grommet guy" calls in sick. Mine was missing one also, dealer didn't have one in stock but they ordered one and mailed it to me no questions asked.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
We would've pulled them off something if they weren't in stock, but we usually keep a lot of grommets in stock.

I've said the same thin before, they don't care because of how far you drove to get the unit. They aren't expecting to ever hear from you again. Then youll come to me and I'll fix it right for you and get your business from here on out.
Yep! Where are you located?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!