ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I want to use my iPhone as my GPS.
What App and what trail Maps are you guys using?

Avenza lets you load KML overlays.

Otherwise buy a Galaxy Tab from Amazon for $150 and use ORUX

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There isn't a GPS chip in iPhone devices that's allowed to function independently, they rely on, "location based services " in English that means it relies on cell service, wifi, and internal gyroscope. If you lose all signal for a decent length of time the iPhones might and have left people SOL until it pins a tower.

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There isn't a GPS chip in iPhone devices, they rely on, "location based services " in English that means it relies on cell service, wifi, and internal gyroscope. If you lose all signal for a decent length of time the iPhones might and have left people SOL until it pins a tower.

Read this and then you decide. I know my 8s will locate at 35,000 ft over the Atlantic halfway to Europe or Africa. Don’t think there are cell towers there.

How GPS Works on the iPhone

Your iPhone includes a GPS chip just like the one found in stand-alone GPS devices. The iPhone uses the GPS chip in conjunction with cell phone towers and Wi-Fi networks—in a process termed "assisted GPS"—to quickly calculate the phone's position. You don't need to set up the GPS chip, but you can turn it off or enable it's functions on the iPhone.

GPS systems
GPS is short for the Global Positioning System, which is a system of satellites put into orbit and maintained by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS finds a position through trilateration that uses at least 3 of a possible 31 satellite signals. Other countries are developing their own systems, but the U.S. GPS system is the only one in wide use around the world. The only other system that is close in capability is Russia's GLONASS satellite system. The iPhone is capable of accessing both the GPS and the GLONASS systems.

One weakness of GPS is that its signal has trouble penetrating buildings, deep woods, and canyons—including urban skyscraper canyons—which is where cell towers and Wi-Fi signals give the iPhone an advantage over stand-alone GPS units.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Read this and then you decide. I know my 8s will locate at 35,000 ft over the Atlantic halfway to Europe or Africa. Don’t think there are cell towers there.

How GPS Works on the iPhone

Your iPhone includes a GPS chip just like the one found in stand-alone GPS devices. The iPhone uses the GPS chip in conjunction with cell phone towers and Wi-Fi networks—in a process termed "assisted GPS"—to quickly calculate the phone's position. You don't need to set up the GPS chip, but you can turn it off or enable it's functions on the iPhone.

GPS systems
GPS is short for the Global Positioning System, which is a system of satellites put into orbit and maintained by the U.S. Department of Defense. GPS finds a position through trilateration that uses at least 3 of a possible 31 satellite signals. Other countries are developing their own systems, but the U.S. GPS system is the only one in wide use around the world. The only other system that is close in capability is Russia's GLONASS satellite system. The iPhone is capable of accessing both the GPS and the GLONASS systems.

One weakness of GPS is that its signal has trouble penetrating buildings, deep woods, and canyons—including urban skyscraper canyons—which is where cell towers and Wi-Fi signals give the iPhone an advantage over stand-alone GPS units.

That's great they finally added the hardware, I gave up after iPhone 5s. Still don't major airlines offer in flight Wifi? I have not been on a commercial flight since 1987.

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
I want to use my iPhone as my GPS.
What App and what trail Maps are you guys using?

I use ONX hunt app. Cache the area you are going before losing cell service than when you are out there you go offline and load the map you need and it works great. Used it in Colorado for a few years for hunting and now loaded Arizona and works great for off-road riding. It shows all the trails. Not cheap about $30 a year per state. Can get it on the App Store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's great they finally added the hardware, I gave up after iPhone 5s. Still don't major airlines offer in flight Wifi? I have not been on a commercial flight since 1987.

Apple has it but won’t let it activate unless you have internet for some stupid ass reason.

Reactions: JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Apple has it but won’t let it activate unless you have internet for some stupid ass reason.
Because they cant push ads and spy on your ass with GPS only. With internet they sell your every move, Android isn't any better when it comes to spying and selling your info, except it works standalone. Everytime you check, "Allow this device to use you location " on an app is permission to sell your travel habits to the highest bidders, that's each app.

Reactions: JTW and ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Because they cant push ads and spy on your ass with GPS only. With internet they sell your every move, Android isn't any better when it comes to spying and selling your info, except it works standalone. Everytime you check, "Allow this device to use you location " on an app is permission to sell your travel habits to the highest bidders, that's each app.

Mines all turned off Apple Msps sucks. No ads show on my phone.

Reactions: JTW
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW I have a old Nexus7 2013 tablet running LineageOS and it has ZERO google on it, I don't use the play store (Aptoid). It runs Oruxmaps and BCN without issue. I don't use it for email and if I do have youtube (Vanced) or Ebay on it I deny most if not all of the permissions, and log out of them when not in use. I have not experienced the iPhone dropping GPS when it drops signal? I would run earth and then install some map files as overlays. Where do you like to ride?

Reactions: BWAF
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Not true. I have an 8s and it works just fine even with no cell data connection. I use two different apps, GPS HD and Magellan TRX. Both of those you need to have the maps you want to use downloaded prior to going off network.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My XS Max won’t and it’s Apple unlocked not a carrier phone. Unless it’s app specific Apple Maps, Google Maps, Google Earth won’t and Avenza won’t

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My XS Max won’t and it’s Apple unlocked not a carrier phone. Unless it’s app specific Apple Maps, Google Maps, Google Earth won’t and Avenza won’t

Correct, but with the 2 apps I mentioned above, it will work. I use the GPS HD app for my air travel, just need it next to the window. And the Magellan TRX all for off road where no cell service is available.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t know how any of it works, but I use google maps. Without service. I download the section of area I’m going to be in. My little blue dot is on the map in correct location every time I check it. I believe this is a new function of google maps? I don’t know. But between that and good old paper trail maps I always find my way haha.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Also if you think the Apple gps is subpar add this or similar. Works with a majority of apps and hits all the gps like any other device the android fan boys drool on.

Dual XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Avenza if you know how to make a geo pdf topomaps+ if you don’t and will let you download high res sat of the data before you go.

Reactions: BWAF and ohanacreek
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey.. have y’all heard about lifetime trail maps?? :)
@JTW

OK, I looked at Lifetime's website. (even though I wanted to do this with my phone)
I ride mostly in Louisiana and Arkansas. NONE of the trails I have ridden are on their list of maps.

So my question is: Can this be useful even though they don't have my location mapped out?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Also if you think the Apple gps is subpar add this or similar. Works with a majority of apps and hits all the gps like any other device the android fan boys drool on.

Dual XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver

I sincerely believe the hardware inside the apple devices are on par with anything else, however I am certain it is hindered in how iOS utilizes it by almost forcing you to have cell and or wifi turned on to fully use it. All for the sake of marketing to to consumer, you bet your arse if the man wants to zero in on apple devices location they have no issues getting with 3 ft of the device from GPS only. My only beef is how they handcuff it to marketing strategies. Again, Android (Google) marketing strategies are no different other than they haven't yet tied the other services to being mandatory to using the GPS hardware exclusively.

It should be able to be stripped via a setting or software patch on iOS.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!