Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Any suggestions on what GPS to buy? Off road only. I really would like to have a standalone GPS, not an app on my phone. Was looking at the Garmin Montana 610 but have saw mixed reviews. Looks like the 680 just has a camera added and the T models have the 100k maps installed. Looks like the 100k maps are not that great and would need to buy or download 24k maps. I'm a newbie to the GPS world so any info is good.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm using a Zumo 550 with Appalachian ORV trail base maps, it had a "free" XM radio subscription but apparently XM cleaned their database in the last year.

So looking for something else.

Looking at OruxMaps on s dedicated device since it only works on Android and I only have Apple.

Havent dug very far into it though.

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use the Oregon and my buddy uses the Montana.
I have used several GPS's including several brands.
I find the Garmin products more intuitive. What I mean by that is, if you don't know how to use a function, you can usually play with it and figure it out. Other brands would have the function buried in some obscure menu.

Plan on spending some time with your purchase. If you have never used a GPS there is a lot to learn. It's not hard but you would rather play with it now than wait until you need it.

Maps are available. You can spend as much as you want or get some for free.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am using a Garmin Zumo 660 with a GlareStomper visor. I used the Zumo first on my Gold Wing, got an additional mount, and put it onto my Pioneer. The unit's software shows not only streets but all the trails in USFS and BLM areas.
I also have the Zumo 660 and have a mount to install it on the P-1000, another of the many things I really need to get done!!

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm also using the Garmin Zumo 550. It's about 8yrs old so I'm sure there are better ones on the market now but it's been a good one.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I use a Garmin Map 78SC. It's waterproof and floats. It Ram mounts in the P5 and also onto the deck of the kayak. Fits nice on the side of the hunting pack. I've beaten it and it keeps running. I mainly use it to lay out a breadcrumb trail of where I've been. Haven't been lost since I bought it!

With any Garmin you can lay out a track on Google Earth then import it in the GPS.
Al

Last edited:
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While looking around, I found this: GLO™ | Garmin

I could use an old iPad I'm not using and the cost is minimal.

Thoughts?

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you can, this is just the gps device. Any device should be able to store the maps. Just found it last night, will need to research some more. Problem is, in WV there aren't marked trail systems, so having a good gps to follow in google earth, maps, or Onyx Hunt is what I need. Onyx works off line as well, but I'd like the bigger screen on my iPad.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you can, this is just the gps device. Any device should be able to store the maps. Just found it last night, will need to research some more. Problem is, in WV there aren't marked trail systems, so having a good gps to follow in google earth, maps, or Onyx Hunt is what I need. Onyx works off line as well, but I'd like the bigger screen on my iPad.

Yup no where around here is GPS mapped, the breadcrumbs track is great.

But some of us have/ would like to use maps of large trail systems.

Reactions: Elkhunter
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the maps of the trail systems depends on your device, I don't know about that. This is just an external gps to use when your device either doesn't have one or it is a phone that is weak.

Dual GPS and Elf have them as well. The Dual one for $130 has better reviews on Amazon. The Garmin is the cheapest, but still has more than 4 stars, so would be easy to try. The bad reviews seem to focus on the firmware and battery, like there will be/was an updated version.

I'll add it to the list of wants, and hope to have it for The Takeover.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
It would be nice to have it integrated into the rear view camera, TPMS, phone and stereo. Think the new zumos have all that except the camera. Need to look into the car GPS that has all that and see if there might be a waterproof case. It would be nice and clutter free to have all that in one. A tablet might be the answer with the external GPS unit. Thanks for all the input guys.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It would be nice to have it integrated into the rear view camera, TPMS, phone and stereo. Think the new zumos have all that except the camera. Need to look into the car GPS that has all that and see if there might be a waterproof case. It would be nice and clutter free to have all that in one. A tablet might be the answer with the external GPS unit. Thanks for all the input guys.

I have been trying to get away from a dedicated GPS unit but I may sell my 10 year old 550 that I had on my Valkyrie and moved to the Pioneers. The 395 looks like a nice upgrade for me and you can integrate the camera, TPMS, phone, (music maybe later), and maps

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I have been trying to get away from a dedicated GPS unit but I may sell my 10 year old 550 that I had on my Valkyrie and moved to the Pioneers. The 395 looks like a nice upgrade for me and you can integrate the camera, TPMS, phone, (music maybe later), and maps
I've been looking at the 395 for the last week. The only thing I didn't see on it was backup camera support. I did email them to confirm.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took my 3rd gen iPad out and it is huge. Gets in the way of shift, differential shifter, switches. A 6+ size phone would be great with an added gps to get good positioning. Might just save my old phone when I upgrade in the future for this or try to find a iPad mini or smaller tablet.

Reactions: joeymt33
J

JTW

I took my 3rd gen iPad out and it is huge. Gets in the way of shift, differential shifter, switches. A 6+ size phone would be great with an added gps to get good positioning. Might just save my old phone when I upgrade in the future for this or try to find a iPad mini or smaller tablet.
What app are folks running apple using? I have an old Garmin nuvi somewhere, if I can find it. I think
I can add maps into.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!