BOX1

Green Split Pea Soup at Oil Change.

banjobart

banjobart

Dec 8, 2015
East Lansing, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a last year's model Talon 1000x with 150 miles on the odometer last week. After I rode it for an hour at home I drained the oil. It looked like split pea soup, green in color. I did use both engine oil drain plugs. Does anyone know what is going on here? I put quality oil back in the engine. Thanks!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bought a last year's model Talon 1000x with 150 miles on the odometer last week. After I rode it for an hour at home I drained the oil. It looked like split pea soup, green in color. I did use both engine oil drain plugs. Does anyone know what is going on here? I put quality oil back in the engine. Thanks!
That doesn't sound good? The 150 miles where did they come from? I would suspect water in the oil, how it got there?

banjobart

banjobart

Dec 8, 2015
East Lansing, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Bought at a reputable Michigan dealer who bought from a bank in Tennessee, (Repo?)

Maybe the dealer power washing got a lot of water into the air intake grate on the rear side of the Talon?
I am also monitoring the coolant level. It was a bit low and I filled it to the max line.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Bought at a reputable Michigan dealer who bought from a bank in Tennessee, (Repo?)

Maybe the dealer power washing got a lot of water into the air intake grate on the rear side of the Talon?
I am also monitoring the coolant level. It was a bit low and I filled it to the max line.
Keep an eye on all fluid levels, that should lead you in the right direction and I'm way out past of my league, there are guys here that have expertise in this, just keep the info coming in on the fluid levels to help them diagnose your issue.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

Have to pressure wash it pretty much straight on for a few minutes to get enough water in there for that. Unfortunately sounds like someone went submarining then traded it in. How did the diff fluid look? Reason I ask is the diff vent tubes terminate into the frame where the engine vent is into the airbox.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree with a lot of the input. Sounds like someone swamped it in TN, and then the dealer washed their hands of it by putting it out of state. Does it have a title? Is the title a "salvage" title? MI may have different laws than IN, and a title is not required.

Like others have said, change the oil. Run it for a couple of minutes, check it and see what it looks like. If you still have pea soup, or cloudy oil, keep changing it, and the filter, until it's clean. That can get expensive, but not as expensive as a new motor.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I would inspect the catch cap on the clean side of the filter, no water or evidence of mud there i wouldn't suspect a drowning. Sounds like a one or even two year old machine that has been sitting a lot. Don't know anything about your part of the world, can get humid with wild temperature differences throughout the year? Condensation can do weird things, i do know lots of people swear by their favorite oil, who knows what might have been in it. I would talk to the dealer knowing full well what i would hear(check cleared, how can there be a problem). If it seems to run well i would keep a close eye on all fluid levels as mentioned above and get several serious heat cycles before condemning anything. Sounds like you know the difference between engine and sud transmission drains and didn't get them mixed up, good job there.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Taking Dankathy's idea one step further - remove the air filter to check the intake side of the air box. If your unit doesn't have a snorkel and prefilter, it should be pretty dirty. If it's spotless, it's probably been power washed, erasing any submersion evidence. Check the buggy for any signs of 'high mud', that will let you know how deep it's been.

The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon information, if you haven't seen it.

The air intake lives in a filthy environment, without a prefilter, the intake side of the airbox should be equally dirty.
Photo thanks to Lil_Steve -
I JxZSRKM XL

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Bought at a reputable Michigan dealer
And that is????
I don't know any of the good ones here in mi that would buy one from a bank out of state to bring back and sell it. Furthermore without going through it first. Sounds fishy

H

HondaTech

We use to see this on models that got driven short trips in and out of the building to the front parking lot for display.

Something to do with not getting good and hot and moisture condensing/fuel getting into the oil.

We drained/filter swap and ship it. Never had any issues.

I once had 2 Rincons that had almost 60 miles just from driving in and out of the shop everyday.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
We use to see this on models that got driven short trips in and out of the building to the front parking lot for display.

Something to do with not getting good and hot and moisture condensing/fuel getting into the oil.

We drained/filter swap and ship it. Never had any issues.

I once had 2 Rincons that had almost 60 miles just from driving in and out of the shop everyday.

I was going to say this.
I see it for the same reasons in the standby generators I service. Theres a SIB from Generac on this very thing.
Many motorcycles have an oil level window, you can see the condensation turning the oil whiter and whiter. Unfortunately, our SxSs don't have such a window. When temps drop, we'd cover a portion of the radiator or oil cooler.

I think it was @Vikes79 who said that he listens for the fan to operate at normal intervals. If he doesn't hear it, he blocks off the radiator some more. Once the fan is cycling, you know you're reaching operating temps. Don't forget you have it blocked come warmer temps.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That doesn't hold water.

Reactions: ChadD
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!