P1000 Grinding noise going into low

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Getting a noise only when putting it in low range. Sounds like the gears are trying to mesh then it finally goes into low. Not really a grinding noise but not sure what else to call it. Never does it going into high. If you touch the throttle while it’s trying to go into gear, it slams into low with a horrible noise and jumps into gear.
Initial honda fix was to use lighter oil. That didn’t do anything.
Next was to readjust linkage. Nothing.
Watch this 8 second video, you can clearly hear it.

Last edited:
J

JTW

That sounds like the linkage.. maybe the cable has stretched? If you can’t adjust it enough I’d try a new cable. Maybe even a throttle adjustment is necessary. Is this only happening when the machine is cold or does it do it after it’s warmed up too?

J

JCutah

Apr 20, 2017
Northern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the same. At times it doesn't happen and it does happen going into reverse also. At times it's popping into gear which makes the grinding sound minor. I was told that the cable was set up too tight when i bought it and never let the sub trans fully disengage from one part to the next. The sub trans effected by this is low and reverse. The cable was loosened and it did nothing to stop the noise. The tech said I would need a partial replacement in the subtrans that would be in the $1,300 range.

If I'm wrong I was told wrong. But this tech seemed pretty straight and this was my first visit to this particular honda shop after all the excellent reviews and friends experiences. I would love for someone to say this is not as serious as I was told and it's a cheap adjustment. But I have my doubts I'm that lucky.

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That sounds like the linkage.. maybe the cable has stretched? If you can’t adjust it enough I’d try a new cable. Maybe even a throttle adjustment is necessary. Is this only happening when the machine is cold or does it do it after it’s warmed up too?
Cold or hot, does it all the time. The cable adjustment didn’t help.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cold or hot, does it all the time. The cable adjustment didn’t help.
I see this is an older post . Just wondering if your issue was ever resolved or do you still get a little grind sometimes going into low range?

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I see this is an older post . Just wondering if your issue was ever resolved or do you still get a little grind sometimes going into low range?
Yes, still does it. My buddy has the same machine and his does it to. If you pause a couple of seconds after you shift and not touch the throttle, it won’t do it.

Reactions: wrhii
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes, still does it. My buddy has the same machine and his does it to. If you pause a couple of seconds after you shift and not touch the throttle, it won’t do it.
Thanks for the reply. Ya mine does a grind sometimes also. Very inconsistent as to when it does it though. I adjusted my shifter cable quit a while back because I noticed the lever was contacting the dash when pulling it into Low. Don't know if it really changed much, but at least now I know the cable is pushing as far as it can.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can’t be hesitant when you shift to low, you have to shift it with authority. That being said, you should be able to adjust it a little to help it.

Reactions: wrhii and Hawk53
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can’t be hesitant when you shift to low, you have to shift it with authority. That being said, you should be able to adjust it a little to help it.
Yes like I was saying the lever was contacting the dash so wasn't sure if it was pushing the cable all the way. After adjusting the cable so the lever doesn't contact the dash the adjustment should be good because it should be fully engaged. Am I not seeing this properly. I have sort of accepted the odd grind as being characteristic of the rig. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: wrhii and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes like I was saying the lever was contacting the dash so wasn't sure if it was pushing the cable all the way. After adjusting the cable so the lever doesn't contact the dash the adjustment should be good because it should be fully engaged. Am I not seeing this properly. I have sort of accepted the odd grind as being characteristic of the rig. LOL
You shouldn’t accept it, it’s not normal. It sounds like the cable stretched.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You shouldn’t accept it, it’s not normal. It sounds like the cable stretched.
Well the cable pushes it into low so I don't see how it being stretched would change going into low. Maybe going into Park.
Are you saying you never get any type of grinding when going into low ??

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well the cable pushes it into low so I don't see how it being stretched would change going into low. Maybe going into Park.
Are you saying you never get any type of grinding when going into low ??
Correct, I NEVER grind going into low.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting . Was just wondering why you would say You can’t be hesitant when you shift to low, you have to shift it with authority. If you never had it grind.
Because I was told by my dealer not to dilly dally around when shifting into low when I bought it. My dealer was top notch and even had a guy explain and go over the machine with me and answer any questions I had. I had heard of this happening so I asked about it and that’s what they told me.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Because I was told by my dealer not to dilly dally around when shifting into low when I bought it. My dealer was top notch and even had a guy explain and go over the machine with me and answer any questions I had. I had heard of this happening so I asked about it and that’s what they told me.
Thank you.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I were to take a shot at this (having been inside my sub-trans and replaced the low and reverse gears) I would say the cogs on your low gear are worn. This usually comes about from shifting in and out of low and / or reverse without bringing the machine to a full stop and idle - or poor adjustment at the shifter that went on for a while.

The video in the first post sounds like my reverse gear did when it was shot, except it did that noise only and didn't move.

L

LJSXS

Nov 27, 2019
Springdale Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Russ did you ever have to adjust your cable? Mine grinds from time to time as well going into low. I started pulling it down into low with authority as well but it still gets in the limbo area sometimes. Think my cable is stretched? I’ve never messed with it.

Reactions: Hawk53 and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ did you ever have to adjust your cable? Mine grinds from time to time as well going into low. I started pulling it down into low with authority as well but it still gets in the limbo area sometimes. Think my cable is stretched? I’ve never messed with it.
I haven’t had to adjust mine but I did have to adjust the diff lock control box.

Reactions: Hawk53 and LJSXS
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Talon ground twice, both times it was at room temperatures including 80* at the trailhead. I try not to use Low until it warms up. If that isn't possible, I'll shift from H to L while barely moving to help the shift dogs fall into their slots. If you're a motorcycle rider, you know that you can't always shift into gear at a stop and have to rock the bike to help - same thing.

S

ScottCarver

Lifetime Member
Jul 11, 2019
Roxboro, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guys, I was having the same issue of grinding when going into low. A little back story... I had never had the issue until after I got my machine serviced. Full oil change and valve adjustments. Once I got it back home, I noticed that it would grind when shifting into Low and occasionally it would pop out of gear. I dealt with it for a little bit and tried the slamming into low. It worked sometimes. Ok, now back to the current, I checked the oil level in the sub transmission and it was high. (Also when I got my machine back from service, the engine oil level was about a quart low). I removed approximately .25-.5 of a quart from oil from the sub transmission using a vampire pump. Now, the transmission shifts correctly, smoothly and doesn’t grind. I don’t know, mechanically, why it made a difference, but it did. So check your oil levels, even after a service

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!