BOX1

Had a nice talk with dealer today

sxs2015

sxs2015

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Maine USA
We talked for some time.. I asked if i should get a metal skid plate.. He said NO plastic is better...As metal is not forgiving as plastic...What do you all think???

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't made up my mind yet. I guess it is because I have not ever had a plastic skid plate. Always aluminum. But that read that UHMW is the way better. But you will pay for it.

A

ahlgringo

Apr 27, 2015
I have had lots of problems with aluminum- now dont get me wrong it all depends on your riding, aluminum thickness, etc. but I got tired of pounding out dents. I had a buddy fab a steel 1/8" skid on my 500 and have had zero issues. I do run the uhmw sss offroad a-arms and have to say at least so far they have held up well- but as alluded to above they are not cheap and the full skid is over 500 dollars so I would have to be pretty sure it was the cats meow before I would drop that kind of cash- for now, happy with steel!!!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
my cents is that if it is man made? man can break it!! so that leaves you saying well that doesn't help me, but it is true. what you have to do is think of three things. 1. cost 2. protection/ longevity 3. weight. now it may not be in this order for you but you get the idea. than you have to find the balance. my job is putting aluminum on airplanes and keeping them flying. ( I don't want to come home and do the same thing lol) my pioneer doesn't need to be light enough to fly. metal is strong and I would not have to repair it as much but 2 things. it rusts faster and you could find your self catching on things or in mud creating a suction. and lastly you have this UHMW the only reason I know what this stuff is because they put it on the bottom of air boats to help them slide smoothly not only across water but land and swampy areas. I have this buddy that will drive his are boat down the main road when he is loading and unloading. (air boats are no light) so hopefully that tells you that UHMW is abrasive resistant. Life is all about balance brother, with out it the wheels will be pointing the wrong way. I hope this helps you out.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Having and both in the past I will ALWAYS go with UHMW. Had it on my last two machines and it was 10X better than any metal skid plate - light, strong, and forgiving. It is really neat stuff and well worth the extra upfront costs in my opinion.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I tell everyone to get UHMW for skid plates. I have had aluminum on a few sport quads it would get so messed up. Would get very sharp cuts in it too would cut your fingers bad it you didn't watch what you was doing.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!