DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well...once again, i have returned to the wrenching field. This time prepping used cars for a dealer up the road. Good tools are expensive...or are they? Either way, I've never had nearly enough.

Among my tools was a 10 year old set of Pittsburg (AKA-Harbor Freight) 1/2 impact sockets, of which 3 were broken. After years of meaning to, i finally hit the local store (first time in a HF in at least 2 years) to exchange them with the closest thing they now have, which they did. No questions asked.

The replacements were clearly several steps above the old ones, with big, beefy sides and sizes clearly marked. The only thing missing was the old tin case, which was of questionable use anyway.

While there, i was checking out the new tool carts they have. Again, I was surprised. Smooth, slide latch draw pulls, comes with liners installed and a folding tray, top supported with struts, and the locks are now barrel style. Felt like a very high quality piece. $209 for it....and really, it can be had in the $180 range with one of the many coupons they send out. I'd guess the Snap-on version of this is probably $800 or something?

In fact...many things i looked at were much improved over previous HF offerings. Researching led me to a Youtube channel i will be posting in a second, with Reviews on HF vs Whatever, with surprising results. So much so that at first i thought it was a HF "plant" for propaganda, but after further investigation, it seems legit, with several reviews with no HF stuff included.

Of course, what can't be tested in these videos is durability. But when you can buy SIX HF breaker bars for the price of the next cheapest competitor...thats hard to argue with. And that's assuming it fails...

HF stuff has always had a reputation, yet I've found that it's usually the young guys right out of tech school with a $3000 scan tool and no $1 spark plug gapper (True Story!) that smirk the hardest. Most of the veteran wrenches I've known use whatever works (Hard to screw up a making a hammer, if you think about it), and that includes HF. That last shop foreman i had worked out of a double decker Husky box that cost less than the smallest Snap-On tool cart.

Remember the first Hyundai? Hyundai would rather you not. They were cheap-ass econo boxes powered by Mitsubishi engines that seem as though they couldn't have come from the same company that now sells some good stuff. They changed their image.

Might Harbor Freight one day be remembered as the company that "used" to make junky tools?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always take a look and I agree they have really improved the fit and finish. Their boxes still have clumsy drawer heights and are way too small but for most people at home they would be okay if not perfect for a lifetime of use.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve got a few things from there mostly stuff that I don’t use very often and was cheap enough I could say...”if it breaks I can buy 3-10 more for less than a good one”. Some of there stuff isn’t bad.

I have a Husky and a Milwaukee box, both slide just as well and feel just as solid as my neighbors snap on and Matco. I’ll probably buy another Husky for the shop when I get it built.

Rigid power tools now have a LIFETIME warranty even on batteries. That’s hard to pass up.

Since Craftsman was sold and made in the same plant as Stanley and Husky....

You do have to double check them they all gave US and China versions and the China versions are not as good.

Reactions: JTW
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I always liked Kobalt stainless boxes. And Kobalt in general. My #1 ratchet is a Kobalt long handle 3/8" flex. A warranty replacement of the same type. Just seems like they have gotten fairly expensive themselves.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I'm still pretty leery of any powered HF tools, but agree they are getting better. Their wrenches, sockets and other hand tools have been holding up well for me. You still need to keep an eye on their prices. I've noticed a lot of none tool items that were cheaper in Menards.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JTW

I have a welding cart from HF and it’s really impressive for the $$... they opens a new HF 45 miles from here and I suspect I’ll be spending more there. My dirt hitch carrier is all aluminum and from HF. Some of there stuff like the buck carrier is awesome and better than more expensive options. Then some things aren’t...

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a lot of Mac tools from when I worked at Roush. I got a decent deal because we had our own Mac tools truck but still expensive . Most notably my 35th anniversary addition mustang 2 tear box that cost me 2,5000$. I have since bought a lot of harbor freight tools and many of them look and have ben as equal quality as some of my Mac tools. I have a 2 stage US General upright compressor I bought from there and it’s ben 11 years and it’s still going strong. Looks almost exactly the same as my neighbors IR compressor that he paid 200$ more for. I’ve also noticed that some of there large HF tool boxes are very similar in quality if not better than my expensive Mac box. But I wouldn’t trade the Anniversary addition tho. If you do your research at HF, you’ll see what’s good and what is not good quality to buy. That rolling cart is just that, good quality and I will be buying the blue one to Replace my old beat up craftsman cart to Mach the color of my Mac box.

Reactions: JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!