P1000 Harbor freight winch

B

BillChestnutt

Oct 11, 2018
East Valley Arizona’s
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really interested in the 5000 lbs. winch HF sells. It gets great reviews and lots of people on this forum have them. My question is, if you install it on a stock P 1000-5 front bumper , how do you reach the knob on the side to free wheel the winch?

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, on my '21 SE, delivered with bumper and Warn winch, I faced the same conundrum. Had to be a contortionist to get to it. Fixed it like this

(Pic taken before smoothing the edges of cut.)

20210916 153324

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If your working with the winch as in pulling trees or other things it’s pretty easy to access. I don’t do a lot of mud but I think if I did I would consider one of the top mount winch bumpers. I use my winch more for working than recovery.

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Top mounted winch was my first requirement when I got my Pioneer, but I get into some mud.

If you stay with the lower mount, at least be sure to go with synthetic line. Getting a cable mess going on with that poor access is a nightmare.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
With scratched knuckles and some cursing! Thats how Ive done it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at the way the Honda provided bumper on my SE is attached, seems like there would be a concern with mounting a winch higher - - that is, unless the bumper has higher up attach points. The stock bumper is mounted down low with the upper bumper tubes cantilevered up there in space, so to speak. Any pulling load, applied up high, wants to bend the attach points, frame etc., downward. Not saying it would do that, I haven't tested.

I'd be interested in learning how the aftermarket front bumpers attach, or how a higher mounted winch does.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!