P1000 hard shifting on my 2020- not what you think

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Gents, I have a 2020 1000-5dlx with 900 miles on it. From new the shift mechanism worked hard. Not the transmission jerking between shifts rather the shift lever going though the gates was very hard to get it to mechanically slide from one portion to another. I mentioned it when it was new and everyone (here) chimed in that give it some miles and it gets a lot smoother. It is still under it's 1 year warrantee. Still not better. It is pain to take the buggy to the dealer but I can if I have to. Any ideas?

Steve

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gents, I have a 2020 1000-5dlx with 900 miles on it. From new the shift mechanism worked hard. Not the transmission jerking between shifts rather the shift lever going though the gates was very hard to get it to mechanically slide from one portion to another. I mentioned it when it was new and everyone (here) chimed in that give it some miles and it gets a lot smoother. It is still under it's 1 year warrantee. Still not better. It is pain to take the buggy to the dealer but I can if I have to. Any ideas?

Steve
Theres cable adjustments next to where you check the oil. Under the floor board. A couple screws reveals the box. Had mine full of mud and water .

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Theres cable adjustments next to where you check the oil. Under the floor board. A couple screws reveals the box. Had mine full of mud and water .
That's for 2wd/turf. Sounds like he might need to adjust the cables that are located behind the battery for the main drive modes.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To help troubleshoot, try moving the shifter with the engine off. If it's easier with the engine off, you need a clutch relearn procedure done. If it's still hard to move, you likely have a cable pinched somewhere. Do you have any accessories installed? I seem to recall another member having his shift cable caught in some accessory mounting hardware.

Reactions: TripleB
S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
To help troubleshoot, try moving the shifter with the engine off. If it's easier with the engine off, you need a clutch relearn procedure done. If it's still hard to move, you likely have a cable pinched somewhere. Do you have any accessories installed? I seem to recall another member having his shift cable caught in some accessory mounting hardware.

I will try that shifting with engine off. The only accessory I have is a winch I installed. Im not remembering any cables that were jammed when I installed the winch- I think it was pretty easy.

S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So, I was on travel but just back. Interesting enough the buggy shifts just fine with engine off. Does that mean just a clutch re-learn procedure? I will google but is it pretty easy? Thanks again all of the help. Steve

H

HondaTech

So, I was on travel but just back. Interesting enough the buggy shifts just fine with engine off. Does that mean just a clutch re-learn procedure? I will google but is it pretty easy? Thanks again all of the help. Steve

The clutches will occasionally "stick" or be applied at idle speeds causing the gears in the sub trans to be under load with the engine running.

Same senario trying to shift a manual trans car into gear whithout depressing the clutch pedal. It will go but it won't be easy or smooth.

The relearn procedure allows the pcm to learn the pressures it needs to force the clutch to the engagement point.

This procedure almost always "unsticks" the clutch and makes shifting the sub trans much easier.

The only times I've seen it not fix the problem is if the clutch has been slipping and is already burnt.

Reactions: TripleB
H

HondaTech

@HondaTech does this procedure apply to the Talon also? 🤔

Yes, same procedure.

Our Service rep contends a clutch relearn should be done every time the vehicle is serviced. Since the clutch wears and the gap of engagement is different then when new.

It's second nature to me now, I dont even have to think about the sequence to trigger it.

Reactions: TripleB and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, same procedure.

Our Service rep contends a clutch relearn should be done every time the vehicle is serviced. Since the clutch wears and the gap of engagement is different then when new.

It's second nature to me now, I don't even have to think about the sequence to trigger it.
Thanks, Dude. :cool:

@Lil_Steve

Reactions: Lil_Steve
H

HondaTech

Thanks, Dude. :cool:

@Lil_Steve

Be sure when cycling the throttle to not linger when depressing at full throttle. You should reach full open then release. You should only be holding at the third and final depressing of the pedal. Holding it at the wide open on the other two cycles will not trigger the pcm.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
S

steve_whiteside

Mar 31, 2019
San Diego
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
wow, thanks guys. Just did the procedure and it seems to be working. Let me put a few days of shifting on it. As I look back I should have addressed this at the get go...

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
wow, thanks guys. Just did the procedure and it seems to be working. Let me put a few days of shifting on it. As I look back I should have addressed this at the get go...
None of us were born knowing this stuff.

"Until our dying breath, life is a lesson imperfectly learned." Unk

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!