P500 Haul & Crawl, RV Flat Towing a truck with P5 in the bed.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I think I am going to go truck shopping for a truck to tow behind my motorhome and wanted input from some of you RV guys.

I want to take a truck with me when I go on a long distance RV trip to ride other parts of the planet. I need a "Toad" truck that can haul my P5 4 wheels down behind a MOTORHOME. My tow rating is about 5,000lbs, so I cant use a full size truck. Once I arrive and unload the P5 I just need a way to get to town or visit places without breaking down camp.

I want to keep it as light as I can. I was pondering a Tacoma extra cab 4x4 and cobbling together a flat bed for it, but the Taco's or any other Toyota 4wd truck don't like to be towed 4 flat, even with a 5 speed, and I really don't want to climb under the truck to unhook a driveshaft because it will always end up raining, and the driveshaft will be in a bind, and there will be dog or bear poop under the truck...and a whole mess of other pains in the ass. I know this from my experience with a tow dolly. Those suck...and NO TRAILERS. Finding a driveshaft disconnect for a Toyota 4x4 limits what years you can buy, and those are getting pretty old and rusty. And doing a full-floater rear end conversion on a Yota will run me nearly $2k to have lockouts on the rear wheels.

So, now I am pondering a used 2wd 5 speed small truck, but I wanted to ask about a Dakota or other mid-sized truck like a canyon/Colorado and get opinions. Does anyone here tow 4 wheels down?

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
R

Rustell

I'm confused ... what are you towing with that has a 5000# tow rating.? That is your limiting factor.

Edit; Ok...now I understand.. I think you may have a problem finding a truck that's light enough to meet your towing capabilities that wouldn't be overloaded with your p5 in the back.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!