BOX1

P500 Have a 2016 pioneer 500. On my 5th fuel pump. 369 Hours. anyone else had problems.

O

oldswamp22

Apr 29, 2021
utah
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2016 pioneer 500 with 369 hours. I am on my 5th fuel pump. It just quits pumping, no warning. Very unreliable. Anyone else had problems? Honda says it's the gas. I think a bad design. ???? Honda dealer has replaced 3 of them..

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 2016 pioneer 500 with 369 hours. I am on my 5th fuel pump. It just quits pumping, no warning. Very unreliable. Anyone else had problems? Honda says it's the gas. I think a bad design. ???? Honda dealer has replaced 3 of them..

How many miles? How is it used? If it's sitting for long periods of time in between uses, it might be the fuel.

O

oldswamp22

Apr 29, 2021
utah
Ownership

1. 500
How many miles? How is it used? If it's sitting for long periods of time in between uses, it might be the fuel.
369 hours and 1583 miles. have garden tractors, 4 wheeler, swather and several other vehicles that run just fine on the same gas. I just learned tonight that denso, the company that makes the fuel pump, has had a big recall on their pumps. something like 2.5 million of them.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Mine is a 2015 model 500 I bought in the summer of 2014. I have about 3000 miles on it and, except for service, I've never touched it mechanically.
Same for me. I guess they don’t make em like they use to....🤔

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
mine is a 16 with no issues with fuel pump or anything else. What part of Utah and what grade of gasoline are you using? I am a Chemical Engineer with 30+ of refining and finished fuels experience. There can be substances in gasoline that cause problems but would also cause issues in cars as well and not just your sxs.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
369 hours and 1583 miles. have garden tractors, 4 wheeler, swather and several other vehicles that run just fine on the same gas. I just learned tonight that denso, the company that makes the fuel pump, has had a big recall on their pumps. something like 2.5 million of them.
Is it possible to dissect a failed fuel pump to investigate cause of failure? Check voltage going to pump.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
My 17' ate one early on.Left me stranded.Always 3/4 tank or better.Started sounding a little different before it quit.I now carry a spare pump motor in my tool bag.Had a 14' foreman with the same pump,but no problems.

O

oldswamp22

Apr 29, 2021
utah
Ownership

1. 500
mine is a 16 with no issues with fuel pump or anything else. What part of Utah and what grade of gasoline are you using? I am a Chemical Engineer with 30+ of refining and finished fuels experience. There can be substances in gasoline that cause problems but would also cause issues in cars as well and not just your sxs.
cache valley . Have been using fuel from Hall oil. Been using it for 20 some years. everything I have runs on it but the side x side.

Reactions: Mudder
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Like several others wrote above, I suspect the fuel you're using. Your lawn/garden tractor and lawn mowers using the same gasoline source is probably not relevant because they are gravity flow from fuel tank to carburetor, no fuel plumps.

You didn't mention how you store fuel. If you have a large home gasoline supply tank I suspect grit, rust, water, or ?????

Running the buggy with low fuel or allowing it to run out of gas could also stress the fuel pump.

Hondas do fail occasionally, they aren't perfect, but I always suspect an external cause when a Honda experiences repeat issues.

Reactions: Ldub and Mudder
GAug440

GAug440

Apr 18, 2020
Wi
Ownership

1. 500
Interesting, I received a recall notice last fall for fuel pump on my 2019... but haven’t scheduled the replacement yet.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
When you say it quits, does the motor stop running altogether, or does it still run but produce inadequate pressure?

I'd check power and grounds for proper voltage and integrity.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
cache valley . Have been using fuel from Hall oil. Been using it for 20 some years. everything I have runs on it but the side x side.
Is it the same fuel for all failures? If so use it up in the mowers and get some from another source and see if that fixes it.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!