Having a blast in the Rockies

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Escape the coastal Texas heat annually by heading to high ground. (Colorado)
Normally take a dirt bike (KTM 500exc) and an adventure bike (Yamaha Super Tenere)

But this year I grabbed a new Pioneer 500 and a couple of grandkids.

This thing is a little mountain goat! 8001d76b84b57f9dd952f5aef491225b09b283694b80f6ca3e53d7feb7a553497ae1162b1b594f01e1ad73a97de8436c

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the welcome fellas.

I gotta admit I wouldn't likely have ended up with a P500 if my choices hadn't been so limited. Although I've been an avid motorcyclists for 50 years, I had very little knowledge of sXs's other than I have ridden dirt bikes amongst them more and more over the past decade.

However, I pull a "tiny toy hauler", the smallest one I could find at the time, and it turns out a 50" SideXSide was the limit! Barely fits between the fridge and the wall, and the P500 is actually 1.3" too tall. Fortunately the highpoint passes under the barrier while the rear axle is still on the ramp. So she looks like she was custom made for the little RV.

So, having said all that, the last few days of this maiden sxs trip has been interesting. I wasn't really expecting much out of this little 500cc rig. But, I way underestimated it. It's a little mountain goat. A bit "agricultural" how it puts power to the wheels, and the rear differential doesn't exactly sing a harmony back there, but it has convinced me that it is totally happy with the challenges I've confronted it with.

I'm actually a bit smitten by it.

H

Husker1

Oct 24, 2017
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 500
Glad you like it and glad to have you. Welcome from Nebraska.

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
I didn't figure on making it to the summit of Helmet for a couple of reasons.

1. Somebody would, at some point, voice their discomfort (terror) and I'd not force that on anyone.
2. The little P500 would find itself overwhelmed by either ground clearance or loose rock traction.

Boy did I underestimate both the courage (or naivete) of the crew AND the prowess of this little machine.

It IS a mountain goat!

When it got rough enough to drop to 1st and 4wd, it would just "tractor" up and over anything in its path.

Much or most of you folks probably knew what you were buying when you acquired this machine. I didn't. I'm thinking I might start acting like I researched thoroughly and my choice was sheer wisdom.

8d5db021cc8802c60530af90a5abf11033e9ff992306bf0f40a41d402ca774e7

S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Haha!

Those stock tires are pretty good too. A lot of people swap them out right away but I put 1000+ miles on them and they never let me down.
I was wondering as much.

This isn't mud riding, rather more rock torture. I was wondering if they'd leave me stranded for being silly enough to actually expect them to perform.

I suspect there's probably "Rocky Mountain Tires" out there. And they likely perform even better. But I'm not complaining one bit.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500

1. Somebody would, at some point, voice their discomfort (terror) and I'd not force that on anyone.
2. The little P500 would find itself overwhelmed by either ground clearance or loose rock traction.

Boy did I underestimate both the courage (or naivete) of the crew AND the prowess of this little machine.

It IS a mountain goat!

When it got rough enough to drop to 1st and 4wd, it would just "tractor" up and over anything in its path.

Much or most of you folks probably knew what you were buying when you acquired this machine. I didn't. I'm thinking I might start acting like I researched thoroughly and my choice was sheer wisdom.

View attachment 80525View attachment 80526
LoL,,,my salesman tried to talk me out of buying a P5.I tried telling him that I knew exactly what I was buying,but he insisted that I ride it before the purchase.I said "whatever,let's get this over with so I can get back to work".I've had mine about a month now,and every time I drive it,I find myself saying,"man,this thing is cool" !

D

Deleted member 3748

I was wondering as much.

This isn't mud riding, rather more rock torture. I was wondering if they'd leave me stranded for being silly enough to actually expect them to perform.

I suspect there's probably "Rocky Mountain Tires" out there. And they likely perform even better. But I'm not complaining one bit.

There's so many options for tires. I'm sure 8-ply would be good for the Rockies, but there are a lot of people who know more about rock tires than me. Welcome to the forum @snakebitten !!

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
S

snakebitten

Jun 28, 2018
Coastal Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Beverly Hillbilly jaunt up the mountain on National Forest roads.

It's a hoot. My dad & brother were skeptical, but I told em I know the route and the little mountain goat wouldn't even flinch or complain.

3 hours later and they all are standing around it at camp and I'm no longer the one answering questions. Lol7e7a503073cd3959d6dc3be83714e5a3

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

It IS a mountain goat!

View attachment 80525View attachment 80526
There you go! Glad you are enjoying your ride, nothing like getting out doors, just stop if your close to a step embankment to take a long look! HA! I flopped off an embankment a few weeks ago looking at the moon, I was probably running 2 mph. Really felt stupid! I take my lawn chair now! HA!

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome @snakebitten . Looks like you guys are having some fun in the warm CO sun. Congrats on the new toy! With a few add ons you'd be amazed where that little thing will go.
Your not finished with that new bike yet. Haha lots to put on her. It’s quite amazing really where they’ll go. And welcome snakebitten.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
That's easy to do after taking one into the backcountry and welcome to the forum! Colorado trails Rock!
Beverly Hillbilly jaunt up the mountain on National Forest roads.

It's a hoot. My dad & brother were skeptical, but I told em I know the route and the little mountain goat wouldn't even flinch or complain.

3 hours later and they all are standing around it at camp and I'm no longer the one answering questions. LolView attachment 81066

Wait till she gets some new shoes. I put Blackwaters on. No stopping her. Plus I put on a 4000 lb warn winch. Haha
Caper

Reactions: 100Acre
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wait till she gets some new shoes. I put Blackwaters on. No stopping her. Plus I put on a 4000 lb warn winch. Haha
Caper
I really like my Black Waters! They don't throw as much mud as my EFX's, Rooster stays cleaner???????

Reactions: Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!