Headed to the Northwestern States and Idaho specifically.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Within a couple of weeks, I will hopefully be hitting the road again for another grand adventure into the wilds of the NW states. My main goal will be to look for property in Idaho and I'm planning on spending at least 1 month solid in Idaho if not longer. I'd also like to maybe see if anyone wants to try and do the Magruder Corridor in Idaho. Where ever you start, either at Darby Montana or Elk City Idaho, It's something like 117 miles one way with no services. Nothing but pure Idaho wilderness. I'll probably be exploring parts of north Idaho, Washington and maybe even a bit of western Montana. Towards the end of the trip I plan on meeting everyone at the Paiute Trail ride in September. Re-loaded the camper today. Things to do! Places to see! I still want a toy hauler. I didn't have much luck selling the camper yet but, my type of camper are much more popular out west. We shall see what comes along.
IMG 4886

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Safe travels buddy! You dont know how jealous I am.
Did you sell your P5? Looking at your signature it says 1000-5. When did you make the switch?

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Did you sell your P5? Looking at your signature it says 1000-5. When did you make the switch?

Yeah, sold it about 2 weeks ago. Picked up a 1000-5 last Tuesday. I've not had a chance to hit the trails with it yet, but hopefully soon. We need to hit windrock sometime, and you can give it a spin.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is awesome man! Are you going to do the Magruder on your Honda, or with the truck and camper?

if you plan on doing an over-and-back run, there is a great place to park your truck and trailer on the Red River (Elk City) side.. it's about 4 miles up the road on the left. Look at Google maps.. big open area about 70-80' off the road.

If you do the ride in the Honda, make sure you check out Burnt Knob (I probably wouldn't try it with the truck & camper)
The view from up there is unreal.

OH... and camp at Observation point.. That spot is SO cool.

Here's the map;
http://www.wildernessvagabond.com/magruder07/magruder corridor fs pdf.pdf

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
See ya soon My friend. I’ll have all my bulls*** side jobs out of the way by then so it’s on like Donkey Kong. The Pioneer will be going in for the clutch update but I know how Honda has been with us so might be on the other machine but ready to go. Pick a spot and we will ride:) (Bassum is gone lol)

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
See ya soon My friend. I’ll have all my bulls*** side jobs out of the way by then so it’s on like Donkey Kong. The Pioneer will be going in for the clutch update but I know how Honda has been with us so might be on the other machine but ready to go. Pick a spot and we will ride:) (Bassum is gone lol)
Good, cause I have some side work for you. I need some mods done and ye be the man for the job. I'm just excited to see you again.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is awesome man! Are you going to do the Magruder on your Honda, or with the truck and camper?

if you plan on doing an over-and-back run, there is a great place to park your truck and trailer on the Red River (Elk City) side.. it's about 4 miles up the road on the left. Look at Google maps.. big open area about 70-80' off the road.

If you do the ride in the Honda, make sure you check out Burnt Knob (I probably wouldn't try it with the truck & camper)
The view from up there is unreal.

OH... and camp at Observation point.. That spot is SO cool.

Here's the map;
http://www.wildernessvagabond.com/magruder07/magruder corridor fs pdf.pdf
Awesome, thanks for the input. I am nervous about trying to do it alone. I may just check out parts of it. I'd also like to go to Red River Hot springs for a soak. I've been to Elk City before though. I've driven parts of the IDBDR in the past. Mostly with the truck and camper

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the past every time I was near the Magruder, it was either on fire or the road collapsed along the route or blowdowns blocking the rd

Reactions: mjn
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Good, cause I have some side work for you. I need some mods done and ye be the man for the job. I'm just excited to see you again.
That side job stuff is fun and can be done in between rides. Hell I’ve never done anything on a 500 and would love to help. You know where you’re very welcomed and can stay to get stuff done! let’s find you a home this time, anything we can do to help. The Bus needs a new home too:) :)

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at 35 acres near St Maries with 1300' of river

Reactions: CumminsPusher
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Damn, and I'm stuck here in my rut........ Thank goodness Wisconsin does have some pretty good trails, but it's not Idaho for sure. If I were 30 years younger I'd even have tears in my eyes, and 35 acres OMG. Happy trails.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Awesome, thanks for the input. I am nervous about trying to do it alone. I may just check out parts of it. I'd also like to go to Red River Hot springs for a soak. I've been to Elk City before though. I've driven parts of the IDBDR in the past. Mostly with the truck and camper
It isn't a ride I'd want to do alone. I would definitely want a second machine of some sort. We did it with my Viking, 4 motorycles, and a Jeep. The Jeep came in real handy, for a couple reasons. One was that he took all the fuel cans into Darby & filled them. We didn't want to ride the last 15 or so miles on pavement to get fuel.
The other reason it was good to have the Jeep is my little brother t-boned a doe on his bike. Kinda messed him up a bit. He rode in the Jeep on the return trip. :p

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In the past every time I was near the Magruder, it was either on fire or the road collapsed along the route or blowdowns blocking the rd
We did it two years ago, right after they fixed the big slide on the east side. Blowdowns can happen at any time. I don't do any ride without my trusty Husky.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think when we do it next time, we might turn around at Magruder Crossing. That is where the road to Paradise takes off. Might go check out Paradise, but continuing on east isn't all that interesting from there. You've got 14 miles of pavement going up and over Nez Perce pass, then it turns back to gravel on the other side... pretty boring.
We camped at Fales Flat before we turned around.
The other two spots we camped were Poet Creek, and Magruder crossing. Both nice spots.

Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now that you're here... I've got a couple more spots you might want to check out;

Elk City Wagon road. Starts at Clearwater, basically east and up the hill from Harpster, goes all the way across to Newsome creek, where you follow it down to almost the South Fork, then back up past Mud Springs, and around to Elk City. Awesome ride.

*First pic is Pilot knob
*second is my secret back way up the south face of Pilot knob. NOT a 500 trail
*The third photo is the Mud Springs cabins
*forth pic is on the trail above Newsome

Regardless, the wagon road is a really cool road. It can easily be done in your pickup too. Lots of great spots to camp.

Camptrip05053 100 2710 076 007

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had forgotten that I had started this thread back in July. I freaking love north central Idaho and folks like @CumminsPusher need to see more of its splendor. Thanks for sharing those locations. . I’ve been to elk River and elk city. And I’ve done quite a bit of trails in Idaho but those are new to me so thank you very much for sharing them. I had started another thread called Another semi epic adventure into the Northwest. And I only came out a couple of weeks ago currently I’m at Sam Owen campground between Clark Fork and sand point where I’ve been looking for real estate.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Then you have the Buffalo Hump ride.

One word; Epic. Take off from Orogrande, up to Orogrande summit near Wildhorse lake, & on into the Hump. Seriously fun stuff.

View attachment 86218 View attachment 86220 View attachment 86221 View attachment 86222 View attachment 86224
Have you written any of the Centennial Trail south of the salmon river in the salmon church river of no return wilderness or the French Creek switchbacks not far west of that and off the main road to Riggins?

Reactions: sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!