BOX1

Heater suggestions for P1000-5

H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US
Guys, need some advice on heaters that work well and aren't a pain to install? I've seen a few options out there like Inferno or Super ATV..

Thanks in advance! Curious if I'd need a 2nd battery to run a heater? Pretty much stock thus far minus windows, panels, and roof.

Happy New Year!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAskins and Biteme
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly any of the aftermarket heaters take time and patience to install. I have an inferno under seat kit.

IMO regardless of heater you install you will need to block at least 1/3 of the front radiator as the aftermarket heaters don’t modulate the flow of coolant at all. Not a big deal and it’s nice to have the extra cooling capacity in the summer.

as far as secondary battery, you could probably get by without it for a while.

when I plow snow at night, my winch, lights and heater pull pretty darn hard on my second battery.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My 2 cents on heaters.

Reactions: Biteme
H

HondaSXS1343

Aug 15, 2020
US
Sorry guys probably should have checked the forum before posting this a little more. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme and TxDoc
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No need for a second batt for a heater, they draw very little power. I don’t see any being a simple/quick install as all need to tie into your cooling system, same as your vehicle. I’m leaning towards the SATV option but first will remove the access panel in front of the front middle seat as that is known for adding plenty of heat and is a few sec job to remove.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No need for a second batt for a heater, they draw very little power. I don’t see any being a simple/quick install as all need to tie into your cooling system, same as your vehicle. I’m leaning towards the SATV option but first will remove the access panel in front of the front middle seat as that is known for adding plenty of heat and is a few sec job to remove.

The heater fan draws much more power than most realize. It can draw a good % of the stator power...especially when combined with other accessories.

Here are some screen shots of my main and aux battery voltage. I run every accessory I have off my aux battery.

at idle nothing on
8A68314F CFEE 4FED AB49 C3DB9B31828A

Just the heater on High

0E7BFD94 35D6 4997 84B1 7C0407274537

heater on high, plus my 4 pod side lights and 52” lightbar for plowing snow and converted factory led headlights. The factory housings with led bulbs still pull on main batt.

FBC8ABBF 4559 4722 91F5 DA436C4A5741

add in running my plow winch
74AD355F E137 4586 AE5B 1794C1AFBAAE

As you can see it doesn’t take many accessories to consume the stator output.

without the extra battery all kinds of weird things happen when I needed to use the winch. I’d have to turn something off...like the fan and maybe the lights which would suck at night.

Just pointing out that the fan pulls harder than most realize and it doesn’t take much for lights on top of the fan to consume most of the stator output.

Lindyrig

Lindyrig

Jan 26, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The heater fan draws much more power than most realize. It can draw a good % of the stator power...especially when combined with other accessories.

Here are some screen shots of my main and aux battery voltage. I run every accessory I have off my aux battery.

at idle nothing on
View attachment 245121

Just the heater on High

View attachment 245127

heater on high, plus my 4 pod side lights and 52” lightbar for plowing snow and converted factory led headlights. The factory housings with led bulbs still pull on main batt.

View attachment 245122

add in running my plow winch View attachment 245125

As you can see it doesn’t take many accessories to consume the stator output.

without the extra battery all kinds of weird things happen when I needed to use the winch. I’d have to turn something off...like the fan and maybe the lights which would suck at night.

Just pointing out that the fan pulls harder than most realize and it doesn’t take much for lights on top of the fan to consume most of the stator output.

How do you like your inferno? I have to do something to keep the windshield clear. Looks like we have close to the same setup.

Lindyrig

Lindyrig

Jan 26, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Love it!

Yesterday in 10F I was plowing in a sweatshirt and jeans. No hat or anything. Even had the windows cracked a bit.
Awesome, good to hear. I'm gonna get one coming, did you install yourself? If so, anything I should know?

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome, good to hear. I'm gonna get one coming, did you install yourself? If so, anything I should know?

Be patient and take your time. Be very careful if you run heater duct to the dash. Two pipes is really tight and you risk wrapping them up in the drive shaft. Been there done that. I had to pull the sub trans to replace a seal...not fun. The pic below is with my dash ducts and wiring all wrapped up on the drive shaft. Almost ruined a off-roading week.
9554A734 FF03 4FFF AA3B 527C34900C80

S

Surveyor

Lifetime Member
May 13, 2019
Auburn, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be patient and take your time. Be very careful if you run heater duct to the dash. Two pipes is really tight and you risk wrapping them up in the drive shaft. Been there done that. I had to pull the sub trans to replace a seal...not fun. The pic below is with my dash ducts and wiring all wrapped up on the drive shaft. Almost ruined a off-roading week.
View attachment 251012
Same thing happened to me. The wire cut the boot. I replaced the duct being extra careful to zip tie tight and away from drive shaft and wrapped it up again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same thing happened to me. The wire cut the boot. I replaced the duct being extra careful to zip tie tight and away from drive shaft and wrapped it up again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

my repair was to run 3 to the foot well and 1 to the two dash vents with a wye. I used to have two on the dash and two on the floor. The dash runs lose a lot of heat due to distance ran. It’s actually warmer in the cab with the three ducts to the floor and 1 to the dash.

Don’t forget to block the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the front radiator otherwise it will take forever for your rig to warm up in the cab. I put my sheet strip on the front side of the radiator thru the passenger front wheel well.

Lindyrig

Lindyrig

Jan 26, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
my repair was to run 3 to the foot well and 1 to the two dash vents with a wye. I used to have two on the dash and two on the floor. The dash runs lose a lot of heat due to distance ran. It’s actually warmer in the cab with the three ducts to the floor and 1 to the dash.

Don’t forget to block the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the front radiator otherwise it will take forever for your rig to warm up in the cab. I put my sheet strip on the front side of the radiator thru the passenger front wheel well.
Yikes! I'm glad I asked. Good info, I appreciate the heads up!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!