Talon Hello and Thoughts

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will be up there in August, but without SXS... :-( Daughter is getting married to one of your Michigans and moving there. We are going to Mackinac Island and up around Pictured Rock (Munising). I will be scoping out the areas to find the places to bring the SXS back to. Or, if you have suggestions I am all ears.. :)
It sounds like you're more U.P. bound. I would defer to some of our Yooper SxS guys and gals for some best suggested routes. I'm in Cheboygan County (shares touching the south side of the Mac Bridge with Emmet County) where just about everything is open (except state trunklines and freeways).

Reactions: Smitty335
TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
It sounds like you're more U.P. bound. I would defer to some of our Yooper SxS guys and gals for some best suggested routes. I'm in Cheboygan County (shares touching the south side of the Mac Bridge with Emmet County) where just about everything is open (except state trunklines and freeways).
Cool! Thanks!! Open? As in you can drive the SXS on the roads?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I will be up there in August, but without SXS... :-( Daughter is getting married to one of your Michigans and moving there. We are going to Mackinac Island and up around Pictured Rock (Munising). I will be scoping out the areas to find the places to bring the SXS back to. Or, if you have suggestions I am all ears.. :)

You'll be in my neck of the woods. We're about 40 miles NW of the Mac Bridge.

Yes, you can drive on the sides of the roads as long as it isn't an M-road (state highway) or interstate (I-75 is our only interstate). There are a few other local restrictions but they are few and far between UP here. I typically stay away from federal lands, they aren't as open as the state forests. It's quite easy in my area to ride all day, 100 miles + and never hit the same trail twice. If you ever want to come UP with your buggy send me a message, I'd be glad to show you around.

The area circled is pretty much open unless posted closed, there is quite a bit of Federal forests on either side that can be used but trails are severely restricted compared to state owned/managed lands.
Map

Last edited:
TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
You'll be in my neck of the woods. We're about 40 miles NW of the Mac Bridge.

Yes, you can drive on the sides of the roads as long as it isn't an M-road (state highway) or interstate (I-75 is our only interstate). There are a few other local restrictions but they are few and far between UP here. I typically stay away from federal lands, they aren't as open as the state forests. It's quite easy in my area to ride all day, 100 miles + and never hit the same trail twice. If you ever want to come UP with your buggy send me a message, I'd be glad to show you around.

The area circled is pretty much open unless posted closed, there is quite a bit of Federal forests on either side that can be used but trails are severely restricted compared to state owned/managed lands.
View attachment 283655
That would be awesome!! So, are you familiar with the 'Destination Polaris' ride? It says Polaris, but I think anyone can join. I'll paste the link here, hope it works.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That would be awesome!! So, are you familiar with the 'Destination Polaris' ride? It says Polaris, but I think anyone can join. I'll paste the link here, hope it works.
Not really, I've ridden both SxSs and snowmobiles on the West end of the U.P. but don't really care for it as much as the Middle/Eastern end. The West side seems to be more old RR grades that just go in a straight line, I'm sure there's nice areas but I won't bother to go back.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Not really, I've ridden both SxSs and snowmobiles on the West end of the U.P. but don't really care for it as much as the Middle/Eastern end. The West side seems to be more old RR grades that just go in a straight line, I'm sure there's nice areas but I won't bother to go back.
I'll take your word for it... Thanks! They did mention something about the old RR grades. I am ok with straight as long as there is some scenery. :)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'll take your word for it... Thanks! They did mention something about the old RR grades. I am ok with straight as long as there is some scenery. :)
We rode from Toivola to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula last year, it was interesting, had some nice scenery but got boring quickly so we stopped more often for a beer break 🤣

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It looks like @906UP has you covered. Cheboygan County could have a similar circle around it with similar rules. I'm not so sure the cities of Cheboygan and Indian River would be allowed. That's ok though since there's a lot of other turf to explore in that county.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon R is a great choice. Fix the air filter intake location and add some miles.

Are you suggesting adding a snorkel? I would like to, just have to research the easiest and best way to do it. Thanks!!!!
Yes, he is. He came up with one of the first snorkel and prefilter ideas for the Talon, it’s also one of the best IMO. I copied his idea using the part numbers he provided in his Talon 1000 mile reports (there are several of them. I think the 2500 mile report had the most snorkel photos). The only thing I did different is that I didn’t run mine up to the roof, it sits behind the passenger headrest. Those photos, the details and part numbers are linked in my sig, posts 18 & 19. Thanks once again to Bob for all the info he provided.

Reactions: 906UP
N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Northern Michigan. Yeah, we have trails and roads and two-tracks and paths and swamps and creeks and fields in Michigan. I see the guys here from Michigan drive on and in all that stuff here, both in the U.P. and where theTrolls live (those of us beneath the Mackinac Bridge - Lower Peninsula).
We prefer the term "down staters" or "beeters". Thanks! 😀
Oh and BTW, welcome from yet another Michigander, OP.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!