P500 Hello from a newbi with a P5 that needs wheels & tires!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Hi gang. Sorry for the long first post.

I am new to all of this in a big way, I have little experience with side-x-sides and have only ridden my recon a few times last year. I am getting older and a roll bar seemed like the safer way to play and after riding shotgun on a side-x last summer I was interested but the cost of some of these things is redonkulous.

I was on the fence about getting a UTV at all, so much money for some of these things, but I found the price point I was looking for on a close out 15 model and once I saw the p5's on this forum running those 30" tall AG tires I was hooked. I want one! So, today I brought home a new 2015 in red (The faster color).

Now, I am pondering super tall tires but I don't know jack about em. I have heard that the Mud-lite XXL or perhaps the Interforce Interco (Love that look and I can imagine they would do great in the woods or on a trail, but I do some gravel roads to get from trail to trail.) would be good for building a freakish "Mighty-Mo" looking rig so feel free to share opinions.

I know I want new wheels so I can keep the stock ones in the event of a warranty claim. I think I want the P5 to be a bit wider if I am going to be going that tall to help reduce that tippy feeling I imagine it will have.

So I would ask for some input on what would be a wheel offset that would maybe make my track with an 1" wider on each side? Am I just asking for it as far as costs go if I want to do that? I have been looking at wheel tire combo packages on Ebay but I dont know what offset I should get etc..

I haul on a trailer, but even if its 52 wide I can still drive over the wheel wells on a pick-up if needed.

So, for riding in the woods and on muddy trails here in southern Indiana, with the option of taking this thing with me behind the motorhome and going to Hatfield McCoy trail system what would be a good tire to use? (I want to use every bit of the giant wheel openings, so 29" or 30" tires)

I think I want all 4 wheels the be the same, I think that 1" of offset might even reduce my need to do the front frame mod, and I think I want the tires to be thin and tall. Would that be a bad thing?
Is a wider tire that provides some flotation better for muddy slimy roads that have never seen gravel? I don't plan to swamp this thing, I don't want to drown it or get my but wet, but you know how that can be.

Thanks for any education you can offer!

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
And I did not even think to ask if I should stick with a 12" wheel or go to a 14"? These rigs don't have a lot of articulation so maybe a 12" wheel would allow for more side wall flex and a better ride?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Welcome to the club! There's all kinds of ways to go with a P500. I'm running 27"x11"x14" Sedona Ripsaws on all four corners. No lift, no frame mod, no spacers. Using aluminum 14" rims with a 5+2 offset, with NO rubbing or steering issues. This is about as big as you can go without doing one of the aforementioned modifications. I went wider on the front to help with floatation, as well as simplify tire replacement/rotation. No matter how you choose to add on to a P500, you're gonna have fun. There's so much info on this site, from all around the country. I suggest reading a lot, and asking questions. Someone has probably tried that route, before. Ha! I hope you have as much fun building yours as I did with mine!

S

Sledge

I am new to all of this in a big way, I have little experience with side-x-sides and have only ridden my recon a few times last year. I am getting older and a roll bar seemed like the safer way to play and after riding shotgun on a side-x last summer I was interested but the cost of some of these things is redonkulous.

I was on the fence about getting a UTV at all, so much money for some of these things, but I found the price point I was looking for on a close out 15 model and once I saw the p5's on this forum running those 30" tall AG tires I was hooked. I want one! So, today I brought home a new 2015 in red (The faster color).

Now, I am pondering super tall tires but I don't know jack about em. I have heard that the Mud-lite XXL or perhaps the Interforce Interco (Love that look and I can imagine they would do great in the woods or on a trail, but I do some gravel roads to get from trail to trail.) would be good for building a freakish "Mighty-Mo" looking rig so feel free to share opinions.

I know I want new wheels so I can keep the stock ones in the event of a warranty claim. I think I want the P5 to be a bit wider if I am going to be going that tall to help reduce that tippy feeling I imagine it will have.

So I would ask for some input on what would be a wheel offset that would maybe make my track with an 1" wider on each side? Am I just asking for it as far as costs go if I want to do that? I have been looking at wheel tire combo packages on Ebay but I dont know what offset I should get etc..

I haul on a trailer, but even if its 52 wide I can still drive over the wheel wells on a pick-up if needed.

So, for riding in the woods and on muddy trails here in southern Indiana, with the option of taking this thing with me behind the motorhome and going to Hatfield McCoy trail system what would be a good tire to use? (I want to use every bit of the giant wheel openings, so 29" or 30" tires)

I think I want all 4 wheels the be the same, I think that 1" of offset might even reduce my need to do the front frame mod, and I think I want the tires to be thin and tall. Would that be a bad thing?
Is a wider tire that provides some flotation better for muddy slimy roads that have never seen gravel? I don't plan to swamp this thing, I don't want to drown it or get my but wet, but you know how that can be.

I'm new too, pFive, and have no advice for you, but you have surely come to the right place.

A friendlier, more knowledgeable, more patient bunch of men you will look long and hard to find.

Welcome.

Joe

Reactions: teakmtn and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Welcome to the club pfive! You're going to have a blast building your P5. What your asking about goes beyond my build but p500fan is right, just read on and someone has done it or asked the question already. Look at some of jackals threads, he'll steer you in the right direction. No pun intended.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys. From reading up I am thinking of sticking with some 12" wheels to give me more side wall. These buggies have little suspension travel and are set up kinda stiff so a soft side may be the ticket. Can anyone tell me if the Interforce ATV tire would ride really harsh on a gravel road or hard pack trail? I dont want to need a kidney belt.

newb

newb

Oct 29, 2015
london , ar
Thanks guys. From reading up I am thinking of sticking with some 12" wheels to give me more side wall. These buggies have little suspension travel and are set up kinda stiff so a soft side may be the ticket. Can anyone tell me if the Interforce ATV tire would ride really harsh on a gravel road or hard pack trail? I dont want to need a kidney belt.
I'm running ITP Reptiles , 26" and 1" wider all the way around . 10 psi on the stock wheels , with the sway bar removed and rear shocks bumped up a click (or 2) . Ride , steering and traction all much better than stock . We ride mountain/creek trails and occasionally a lil mud .

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Depends on how rough of trails you intend to travel on. On the trails I ride, I'd never use a 30" tire on a 50" machine. That's much safer on a 56-60" sxs. I ride trails that are at times running perpendicular to a 20% slope and I can tell you that's a$$ puckering enough on 26's. If your riding tame trails, I suppose you're fine with a 30, but even then, wider is better.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Depends on how rough of trails you intend to travel on. On the trails I ride, I'd never use a 30" tire on a 50" machine. That's much safer on a 56-60" sxs. I ride trails that are at times running perpendicular to a 20% slope and I can tell you that's a$$ puckering enough on 26's. If your riding tame trails, I suppose you're fine with a 30, but even then, wider is better.

Yeah, that is one of my concerns also. I am not really wanting to stay 50' wide, I dont need to, but I will be keeping the stock set up in the event I want to go on a trip where I need to be 50. I am trying to determine how much wider the thing will be with this set up, I dont know how the offset on these wheels compares to stock.

Kit 4 Interco Interforce R1 Tires 30x8-12 on ITP Delta Steel Black Wheels H700

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, that is one of my concerns also. I am not really wanting to stay 50' wide, I dont need to, but I will be keeping the stock set up in the event I want to go on a trip where I need to be 50. I am trying to determine how much wider the thing will be with this set up, I dont know how the offset on these wheels compares to stock.

Kit 4 Interco Interforce R1 Tires 30x8-12 on ITP Delta Steel Black Wheels H700
I hear ya. With 1" extension plates on each side, proper offset wheels, and 12" wide tires, I'd bet you can get to 54", perhaps more. If you'd take a little time to browse the threads, there's many discussions here between members that have done all this, made their P-5 wider, and even compensated by adding fender flares to reduce the mud that would be thrown at you. You should be able to learn all you need there. For personal reasons, I wish to maintain the 50" width, so after installing my 26's, I was very glad I didn't go any taller. Expensive as tires are, it would be really cool if you knew somebody with thirties on theirs that would let you drive it and see what it's like. Of course to truly know, that would have to be out on the challenging trail. I hope you're happy with whatever you decide on, good luck pFive!

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I guess I could hedge a little and consider these 28" zillas on 14" rims. It would be a tick wider than those interforce AG tires, and not as tall from what I can tell.

STI HD4 14" Wheels Black 28" Zilla Tires Honda Pioneer
I just changed out my 26" big horns to 28x10x12 zillas on mine yesterday with factory rims. So far so good. Did notice a height difference but didn't feel a big change in stability.

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Image Image

Reactions: 500oneer and pFive
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the pics. I like the bighorns also. I am really diggin the interco interforce tires, they are kinda cheap and light for the size. But at 30" I wonder if it will just fall over once I hit the trail. I was planning on new aftermarket cheap steel rims to get another inch or so of width (and maybe even spacers). I just wonder what they would feel like on hard pack or on a gravel road while going from trail to trail. I have also found these knockoff tires that are not too spendy.

Kit 4 CST Wild Thang CU05 Tires 28x10-12 on ITP Delta Steel Black Wheels H700

Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the pics. I like the bighorns also. I am really diggin the interco interforce tires, they are kinda cheap and light for the size. But at 30" I wonder if it will just fall over once I hit the trail. I was planning on new aftermarket cheap steel rims to get another inch or so of width (and maybe even spacers). I just wonder what they would feel like on hard pack or on a gravel road while going from trail to trail. I have also found these knockoff tires that are not too spendy.

i have seen pics on here guys running 30s and they look great. I only went with 28 zillas because their light and I have seen the bigger tires break axles quick. That combo you have on eBay are nice. I like the look of the rims.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Welcome to the club! There's all kinds of ways to go with a P500. I'm running 27"x11"x14" Sedona Ripsaws on all four corners. No lift, no frame mod, no spacers. Using aluminum 14" rims with a 5+2 offset, with NO rubbing or steering issues. This is about as big as you can go without doing one of the aforementioned modifications. I went wider on the front to help with floatation, as well as simplify tire replacement/rotation. No matter how you choose to add on to a P500, you're gonna have fun. There's so much info on this site, from all around the country. I suggest reading a lot, and asking questions. Someone has probably tried that route, before. Ha! I hope you have as much fun building yours as I did with mine!

second vote for ripsaws!!! I have mine on the factory wheels. Best mod yet

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

make sure if you go up that you go out as well. Tipsy lil suckers these P500s

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
make sure if you go up that you go out as well. Tipsy lil suckers these P500s
I went with 26" BH 2.0's on factory wheels. Felt a little too tipsy for me so put 1" spacers on. I'm at 52 1/4" sidewall to sidewall. Feels way better now. Rode it hard last weekend and never puckered once. Didn't steer any different to me, more control if anything.

Reactions: Jason86
Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I went with 26" BH 2.0's on factory wheels. Felt a little too tipsy for me so put 1" spacers on. I'm at 52 1/4" sidewall to sidewall. Feels way better now. Rode it hard last weekend and never puckered once. Didn't steer any different to me, more control if anything.
What style 1" spacers do you have? Can you post a pic?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I went with SuperATV spacers. Posted before and after pics on another thread. Front and back. Would post again but they're on my desktop and I'm on the road with my laptop. Didn't spread it out much but that's what I was going for.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!