P500 Help.. apparently not getting fuel...?

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
Ok , so Wednesday evening my son got on his P500 ( it had been sitting for about 2 months) rode it the yard for about 10mins and it died and wouldn't start up.. I drained all the gas out of it even though nothing but non ethanol fuel has ever been run through it and put fresh fuel in still wouldn't crank. I changed spark plug and put sea foam in it and after it sits for a while it will crank and idle for about 10secs then dies, it will do this for about 4 times then it wont even crank anymore, one time it took the throttle for about 1 min then died and wouldn't crank back up... You can hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn the key... when it does crank it act like an old bike with a carb and just wont' take gas... I sprayed some sea foam straight into air box and will run as long spray but thats it ... what to check next..I dont know much about EFI

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
So it will run on spray-other fuel source.............the fuel pump runs but, is it putting out any fuel? if it is pumping out fuel is it the right pressure and volume needed for the injector ?

condition of fuel filter is ???

is the injector working ? or is it gummed up ?

if it sat for a couple of months did a pesky little varmit get into it and chew some wires up, had that happen to me with a blazer up at the shack in the woods, the thing chewed through about 18 tiny wires.

Just a few things off the top of my head

Reactions: Mudwing
Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
Fuel pump cuts on ..
Not sure if it’s pumping right amount into injector
... can’t find any bad spots in wires , from animal chew or anything... bike is garage kept 100% of time
... where is the fuel filter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
... where is the fuel filter ?

Filter is built in to the pump, in the gas tank.
Very low liklyhood of the filter being choked with normal use/dust.
The pump/filter/gauge sender thingy looks like is came out of a mini van - good for 100k miles.

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
The parts diagram shows the fuel filter set as being part of the fuel pump assembly
( FILTER SET, FUEL 16010-HL3-A01 )

check to make sure the vent tube that comes off the top of the fuel pump is not plugged by mud or bugs, some bugs like nesting in little holes/tubes. If you loosen the fuel cap and hear an air suction sound then I'd say the vent is plugged or if the machine starts and runs with the fuel cap loose.
I doubt the vent is plugged though because it should run for a little bit even if the vent tube is plugged but check everything-assume nothing.

Who has the HONDA service manual that explains how to test the fuel injector ?

I haven't played with an injector from a P500 but an injector should click when being activated here is a video link to simple injector test.

So if your getting fuel up to the injector properly but the injector is not pulsing it could be dirty stuck, bad or not receiving the correct pulse signal.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!