Edit: HELP! First trip transmission problem.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Mske sure its not overfilled with oil. We had a 1000 with 13qts of oil in. The crankshaft was sloshing the oil around and overheated the engine.

Check the oil level, if its overfull they will overheat when driving them but not at idle.

@HondaTech called the oil being overfilled on the last page and again on this page.....

Reactions: TripleB
C

Cestratton

Jun 22, 2021
Harrison, AR
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@HondaTech called the oil being overfilled on the last page and again on this page.....
Yea, after the grounding issue fixed "half" the problem and it was still overheating I told the dealer to check after reading @HondaTech response (as well as a PM). Both issues I brought up to the dealer after reading the responses on this thread. Thanks to everyone here with their responses but unfortunately the dealer wouldn't listen to me but instead waited on Honda to tell them what I suggested based off info from here.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If I had to bring my Talon in for some kind or recall or something crazy like that I'd drive my ass up to Ohio just to have him work on my stuff.

Seriously...

H

HondaTech

If I had to bring my Talon in for some kind or recall or something crazy like that I'd drive my ass up to Ohio just to have him work on my stuff.

Seriously...

The majority of my information is from experience having dealt with all these issues and more over the last 5 years of the P1K.

We're still dealing with all these issues even on 2021 models. You develop a play book of things to check first and eliminate before you start digging into the unknown.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@HondaTech - 13 quarts? Damn...

But that brings up a good point - with a tiny range on the P1000 dipstick, some confusion on reading the vaguely opaque level indicator on a gallon of oil, and a dipstick that doesn't always go in straight, I've had a few times when getting the oil level right was a real pain.

I drained some back out after being nearly a quart high, and that was a big freaking mess. Is it likely that it wouldn't have been a problem at all?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!