P1000 Help. New Honda owner.

R

Roger1000

Nov 19, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi guys and gals.
I just bought a pioneer 1000-3 from a good friend. Bike is beautiful and rides well. I found two problems, first. The bike overheates after a few rides around my neighborhood. And second the dash display is not working. The light is on but no signals or letters. Just a blank screen.

any ideas on how to begin troubleshooting this issues?
2016 with power steering. White.

Image Image Image

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Overheating can be a major problem and would start with the following: 1) check the oil, see level and if water inside as well; 2) check the coolant level in radiator; 3) Does the fan come on to cool the radiator?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like it's seen a bit of muddy water, the water runs off and the dirt collects in the fins and can plug them. Was the display working when you bought it?
Been meaning to get some HVAC coil cleaner and clean mine, that stuff is amazing.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Looks to have had alot of muddy water around the display. Ita possible the display could be dead.

But there have been instances of thr plug in the meter not being snapped on fully as well.
I second this

There's a vent hole in the display to prevent it from fogging up, and when you go submarining it will allow water/mud in and kill it.

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It has probably been submarined, which killed the display or a direct hit from a pressure washer... I just had to replace mine after going a little too deep. There are multiple vent holes on the back of the display which allow water to get it. I JB welded them closed on the new display. No issues since.

You may want to check all the fluids for water contamination. If it doesn’t have vent extensions then, judging by the dead display, all fluids have been contaminated and need to be flushed- If it hasn’t been done already.

Overheating can also be caused by air in the system. The manual shows how to fill it and purge air properly.

question:
How do you know it’s overheating if the gauge cluster doesn’t work? Is the radiator boiling over?

- Check that the fan cycles on/off
- Spray the radiator fins out really well starting at the top

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I would just repeat what these guys have brought up but, welcome to the club!! From South FL!!!

BTW Nice ride!
#NTC

Reactions: ChadD and Roger1000
F

fsk1290

Oct 30, 2020
Grant, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys and gals.
I just bought a pioneer 1000-3 from a good friend. Bike is beautiful and rides well. I found two problems, first. The bike overheates after a few rides around my neighborhood. And second the dash display is not working. The light is on but no signals or letters. Just a blank screen.

View attachment 243059 View attachment 243060 View attachment 243061

hopefully you got a great deal from your "friend" that abused the f*ck out of his toy. I for one would never buy something like this from a friend. But I hope you get it fixed and can enjoy it.

Reactions: ChadD and Roger1000
R

ROGER O

Jun 8, 2021
TRENTON IL.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi guys and gals.

View attachment 243059 View attachment 243060 View attachment 243061
check coolant level, clean the radiator, and make sure its getting enough air flow, and make
sure the fan is working. Also check the water heat sensor.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!