P1000 Help shifting funny and low top speed

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hey guys,

Need some help if you can please. Was ride the 1000-3 with the wife when we fell into a deep rut full of water. No big deal only had 3” of water above the floor boards. Got the winch out 10 to 15 minutes later we where out and on our way. The whole time we where stuck and winching the machine was at idle with no issue But as soon as we got going down the trail the machine just didn’t seem right. Kinda like it just didn’t have the same power anymore. Got back to camp and I pulled the seat pulled the air filter and found traces of sandy water got up to the underside of the filter. Now I am sure water didn’t get into the motor the water stain on the bottom of the filter was very little splashing stains. So I wiped out the air box. Cleaned and rinsed the air tube that goes under the seat. Then properly tightened the factory clamp that wasn’t tightened properly. And took it out on the trail still not right. It just seemed gutless. So we packed it up and headed home early. Since we got home I tried the clutch relearn that didn’t help. The problem now seems to be that it runs good and healthy but about 3rd gear it shifts funny and up from there shifts worse holds the gears really long and top speed is only 41. My question is has anyone else had an issue like this? Also if my mass air flow sensor got a little wet could that be an issue? Let me know if you can help thanks

Reactions: Haldog77 and TxDoc
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Two things come to mind - 1. Pioneers were breaking the wire (inside the insulation) at the injector. There are kits to fix this. 2. Dead spark plug. With a cold engine, start the buggy and put a finger on each exhaust at the head, the one that heats up slowest is your problem cylinder.

Redone

Redone

Nov 14, 2018
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Nickdartez hey sorry for not updating yes I found that when muddy water fit my hot spark arrestor it got hard like concrete and plugged it up. As soon as I removed the spark arrestor it came back to life.

N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update: i unplugged 1 wire at a time on the coil packs, top pack unplugged will kill the bike completely, bottom pack unplugged just changes the tune of the motor a little bit, i swapped the plugs around and checked again to test my plugs and the bottom pack unplugged still keeps the bike running, bad pack? If so does it cross over to ngk to where i can run to my local parts house and get me through the weekend?

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Could i swap the wires around on my packs to make sure it is the coil and that its getting correct power to the pack?

Reactions: ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Could i swap the wires around on my packs to make sure it is the coil and that its getting correct power to the pack?
The coils should be the same but you'll also need to swap the trigger/input side (our pistons don't fire at the same time like some parallel twins).

N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol i didnt even think about timing🤦🏻‍♂️ Im going to pull a coil off of my talon and see if that works before i just start throwing money at it.

Reactions: ChadD and CID
H

HondaTech

Update: i unplugged 1 wire at a time on the coil packs, top pack unplugged will kill the bike completely, bottom pack unplugged just changes the tune of the motor a little bit, i swapped the plugs around and checked again to test my plugs and the bottom pack unplugged still keeps the bike running, bad pack? If so does it cross over to ngk to where i can run to my local parts house and get me through the weekend?

Coils don't go bad, don't waste your money or time chasing them.

N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You are right, i tested my coils and i am getting correct voltage to both if them, is it possible that my injector is sending to much fuel to my cylinder and is flooding it out? I smell alot of fumes(fuel) coming out of the exhaust, so it tells me im either getting too much fuel or not enough fire, or air. Right?

Reactions: ChadD
N

Nickdartez

Dec 6, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Sounds like the "bad/intermittent" injector wiring/connector. The club store has a fix for that.
"
Found the problem! Pulled the injectors and had a little trash in it, im going to reroute my vent line on the fuel pump, im wondering if i had some trash get through there in my tank.

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!