BOX1

P700 HELP!!!!!!!

P

Paul514

Mar 30, 2016
georgia
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and I am looking for some help. I have a Honda 700 about 2 years old. We bought it brand new. I installed a snorkel on it and it rode great for the last 2 years until a few months ago. While out on the trails, it seemed like it would not shift out of second gear and the 4 wheel drive engage lever/ N/D lever was so stiff you could barley move it. after 2 oil changes, filter changes etc... it still will just rev in second. It starts up fine and runs in neutral and shifts from 1to 2 gear but that's it. HONDA is talking about pulling the engine and doing top end work. $2500-$3000. Also they say not covered by warranty because of snorkel. ANY IDEAS

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
don't need to remove motor to do top end . if you take a 0 off those numbers and multiply by 2 that would be more realistic cost.

shifting doesn't have anything to do with top end.

second gear is the default gear. if the computer cant shift it the bike will be in second gear.

the bike is two years old its out of warranty. if you have an extended warranty they should not care about the snorkel. The after market warranty's are money makers for the dealer.

you need a new dealer

questions if you want to figure out what's wrong
does the shifter more hard if the motor is turned off.
does the motor sound like it idling at a normal or higher than normal speed.
with the motor off and key on does the display go from reverse to neutral to forward on the display.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Sounds like your dealer is trying to make money off you. Top end has nothing to do with shifting issues. sorry i can't help with your issue but don't do that top end work the dealer said. Mine did some wierd stuff with shifting gears i added a little oil and it was fine. I know that probably isn't your issues.

Reactions: Paul514
P

Paul514

Mar 30, 2016
georgia
don't need to remove motor to do top end . if you take a 0 off those numbers and multiply by 2 that would be more realistic cost.

shifting doesn't have anything to do with top end.

second gear is the default gear. if the computer cant shift it the bike will be in second gear.

the bike is two years old its out of warranty. if you have an extended warranty they should not care about the snorkel. The after market warranty's are money makers for the dealer.

you need a new dealer

questions if you want to figure out what's wrong
does the shifter more hard if the motor is turned off.
does the motor sound like it idling at a normal or higher than normal speed.
with the motor off and key on does the display go from reverse to neutral to forward on the display.
Yes on shifting harder when off. Yes to rev higher and not 100 % about display but I think maybe

P

Paul514

Mar 30, 2016
georgia
Yes it is harder to shift when it is not running. Yes it does seem to be idling higher. And I'm not too sure about the instrument lighting I'll have to look but I think I do remember some issues with that also

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Have you tried to put more oil in it. Overfilling is always good on this motors. Put about 1/2 a quart extra in it and see if it helps. Couldn't hurt.

P

Paul514

Mar 30, 2016
georgia
Have you tried to put more oil in it. Overfilling is always good on this motors. Put about 1/2 a quart extra in it and see if it helps. Couldn't hurt.

I will try anything, lol. Thanks

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Are you using the correct oil?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
@scott so on your dipstick are you saying you're at the top of the full mark or do you fill it another 1/2 quart beyond that? Thanks.

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
Mine was changing gears at odd points and all different speeds. A lot of people told me to add oil and it would be fine and it worked.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine was changing gears at odd points and all different speeds. A lot of people told me to add oil and it would be fine and it worked.
Thanks I think I'm going to try it

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
if it shifts hard sitting still you have a cable problem. once you cycle it from forward to reverse with motor off it should move smooth and relatively easy.
now if its not idling down it wont shift at all or very hard.
idling high could be a few things. coolant temp sensor if it thinks the engine is cold the computer will hold idle up and hold back shifting, throttle position sensor out of calibration could hold the trains engaged at stop making very hard to shift. speed sensor will not shift until redline if at all. idle speed motor not moving will keep the idle were it was when it died but I would expects it to be stalling a lot.
check the display with it running make Shure everything is working and you don't have a check engine light coming on. just a not the check engine light will only be on if it is seeing something wrong. if the problem leaves the light goes out

checking the oil has to be done 2 minutes after running the motor. let me try again. run the motor for 5 minutes shut it down wait for two minutes then check the oil.
I don't know whats in the oil stabilizer but I would not run it. if there is any frition reducers it may kill the cluches.
you can run any oil that does NOT say enegy conserving on the cercle on the back of the container. the bottom of the circle will be blank
I find 30 w synthetic works best in mine. I run the rotela or mobile one high mileage.

r ImagesqtbnANd9GcR7uyU89J1b8wJ6rukcwX4lVMe5xkHD5eIAIo8Jx3clLkOdX 9e
make sure the oil level is right then we will go from there.

Reactions: Paul514 and Tflynn
P

Paul514

Mar 30, 2016
georgia
if it shifts hard sitting still you have a cable problem. once you cycle it from forward to reverse with motor off it should move smooth and relatively easy.
now if its not idling down it wont shift at all or very hard.
idling high could be a few things. coolant temp sensor if it thinks the engine is cold the computer will hold idle up and hold back shifting, throttle position sensor out of calibration could hold the trains engaged at stop making very hard to shift. speed sensor will not shift until redline if at all. idle speed motor not moving will keep the idle were it was when it died but I would expects it to be stalling a lot.
check the display with it running make Shure everything is working and you don't have a check engine light coming on. just a not the check engine light will only be on if it is seeing something wrong. if the problem leaves the light goes out

checking the oil has to be done 2 minutes after running the motor. let me try again. run the motor for 5 minutes shut it down wait for two minutes then check the oil.
I don't know whats in the oil stabilizer but I would not run it. if there is any frition reducers it may kill the cluches.
you can run any oil that does NOT say enegy conserving on the cercle on the back of the container. the bottom of the circle will be blank
I find 30 w synthetic works best in mine. I run the rotela or mobile one high mileage.

rView attachment 12773
make sure the oil level is right then we will go from there.
Thanks so much for the info. I will look into all that. Heck it would be cheaper just to fly you here to did it lol

Reactions: Tflynn
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!