Hesitating to jump just yet

A

Alaska Pioneer

Jul 19, 2013
I really like what I see in the new Pioneer...especially the -4. But I do have some concerns about jumping in and getting one of the first run units....

I suspect that Honda will be offering some interesting variations and options in the near future and it might be worth waiting to see what else is in store for the Pioneer before buying one.

I also have to think that it's usually not a good idea to buy a new model "anything" until it's been out for a while and the bugs have been worked out.

Other than that, Im wondering if the Pioneer 4 (weighing in at 1400lbs might be just a tad under powered with the 700 engine.

Opinions anyone?

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I too have wondered if or when Honda will produce what we have been looking for in a "sport" model. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury or patience of time. I'm ready to move on to a more comfortable and accommodating mode of transportation from my Rubicon.

As for being the new model year, yes, I'd agree more with the premise if the drive train were first year breakouts, but this drive train has been in the BigRed for some years now. What I see is different or modified is the rubber motor mounts, suspension, frame length and width, E brake location, rear seats on the 700-4 (which I'm probably not buying) and of course cosmetics. There may be a few other differences, but the sole concern I would have is the drive train.
Even that, as thorough as Honda is in R&D, I'd have confidence in their products and reputation. They've been in this game for decades and they understand it completely. Are components going to fail or break, certainly so, depending on the operators use and degree of maintenance.
All in all, I'd feel better about the Pioneer than any other make out there, but I guess time will tell. Just my two cents...

admin

admin

Your club! I just turn it on!
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Keep in kind this drive train has beed in production since 02 with the delivery of of the 2003 Honda Rincon. for model year 2006 they bumped the cc's to 680. and for 2009 released the Big Red with that same drive train, all with no common or major issues.

The Pioneer uses this same setup. I have coplete faith in the drive train and would not expect any issues at all.

R

rumrunner

Jul 23, 2013
I see what Alaska is talking about. Yes the drive train is tested... But I'm the quest to produce under 10k put a damper on normal high quality vs cheap and cheap.

L

lviolette123

Jan 14, 2014
Igot about 500 miles on my pioneer 4 its a ok side by side but I should have waited to see what inprovements they make in 2015

bbnelson

bbnelson

Dec 20, 2013
You also have to keep in mind that there will be plenty of folks drooling to buy a previously owned Pioneer, simply because they can not afford a new one. If you buy 2013/2014 models, they should be easy to sell.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I too had this concern before jumping in and selling my very unreliable Polaris SxS to buy the Honda Pioneer. However, if one considers the history of Honda (anything), there is rarely any major radical changes from first years models to subsequent year models. Honda tends to be very conservative in design changes and stays within their proven "comfort zone". The one area that has been a bit frustrating is the lack of aftermarket products for the Pioneer. A robust aftermarket availability of products for a machine can make a world of difference in performance upgrade options, costs and making the machine match your needs and use. By the end of this year, the aftermarket products for the Pioneer should vastly improve. The only thing that would make me ever consider selling the Pioneer is if Honda came out with a high powered / performance Sport SXS.

T

The Wire

Jan 12, 2014
I want to buy a P4 in time for spring trail riding. The many reviews are largely positive. My concern is with the occasional under powered - needs a lower gear comments. I haul a 4'x4' trailer of firewood up a 40% grade and plow snow with my Polaris Sportsman 500. I have had my Sportsman since 2002, so I'm not one to be changing machines every couple years. I find my self wondering when the leaks about the 2015 P4 model might start. But as fishin2Dmax said, Honda is not known for radical changes and if they did beef up the engine or modify the tranny, I would then be buying an unproven drive train. I could see them adding less radical options like tilt steering and EPS.

What are the members thoughts about the P4 being able to pull a 1000 lb trailer up a 40% - 20 degree grade?

What are the members thoughts as to when we might know about the 2015 P4 and what changes do you see as a possibility?

Jerry3

Jerry3

Lifetime Member
Jul 8, 2013
Arkville, NY
I wanted to test its pulling ability, so I hooked on my 7x10 trailer that weighed in at 940lbs. It pulled it up what I would guess is a 20-25 degree slope with no issue what so ever, even stopped on it and took off. Then drove back down the hill not using the brakes and never went over 10mph

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya, we all asking the same questions.
I haven't pulled anything big yet, so I'm going to skip that questions.

About changes, You are right, Honda is not one for huge changes. I do not expect anything till around/after 2016 model year.
Why I say that. Think of it from Honda's side. They just spend billions of dollars tooling there new wing at HSC. It would not make much business since to retool within the first year of production.

But... I too hope my thinking is wrong. lol.
Cant wait.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pulled a 6x12 loaded with fence wood @2000-2500lbs total trailer and wood, up my 1200' driveway which at points is a max of 15-20 degrees. You won't win any drag race but it doesn't struggle. Stays in first but pulls strong.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!