• Welcome to HONDASXS.com

If you are a guest please take time to REGISTER with us. Stay up to date on the Honda Side by Side line and take part in our online forum. Check out the FAQ. Once you register you can start to make post. Users will respond to your question or statement. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit below or click the board index to see a list of all forums. Thanks and have fun.

Hesitating to jump just yet

Discussion in 'Buying a Pioneer 700' started by Alaska Pioneer, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Alaska Pioneer

Alaska Pioneer New Member

I really like what I see in the new Pioneer...especially the -4. But I do have some concerns about jumping in and getting one of the first run units....

I suspect that Honda will be offering some interesting variations and options in the near future and it might be worth waiting to see what else is in store for the Pioneer before buying one.

I also have to think that it's usually not a good idea to buy a new model "anything" until it's been out for a while and the bugs have been worked out.

Other than that, Im wondering if the Pioneer 4 (weighing in at 1400lbs might be just a tad under powered with the 700 engine.

Opinions anyone?

2. BigRiver

BigRiver Active Member
    Lifetime Member

I too have wondered if or when Honda will produce what we have been looking for in a "sport" model. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury or patience of time. I'm ready to move on to a more comfortable and accommodating mode of transportation from my Rubicon.

As for being the new model year, yes, I'd agree more with the premise if the drive train were first year breakouts, but this drive train has been in the BigRed for some years now. What I see is different or modified is the rubber motor mounts, suspension, frame length and width, E brake location, rear seats on the 700-4 (which I'm probably not buying) and of course cosmetics. There may be a few other differences, but the sole concern I would have is the drive train.
    Even that, as thorough as Honda is in R&D, I'd have confidence in their products and reputation. They've been in this game for decades and they understand it completely. Are components going to fail or break, certainly so, depending on the operators use and degree of maintenance.
    All in all, I'd feel better about the Pioneer than any other make out there, but I guess time will tell. Just my two cents...

3. admin

admin Your club! I just turn it on!
    Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member Supporting Member

4. rumrunner

rumrunner New Member

I see what Alaska is talking about. Yes the drive train is tested... But I'm the quest to produce under 10k put a damper on normal high quality vs cheap and cheap.

5. lviolette123

lviolette123 New Member

Igot about 500 miles on my pioneer 4 its a ok side by side but I should have waited to see what inprovements they make in 2015

6. bbnelson

bbnelson New Member

You also have to keep in mind that there will be plenty of folks drooling to buy a previously owned Pioneer, simply because they can not afford a new one. If you buy 2013/2014 models, they should be easy to sell.

7. fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax Active Member
    Lifetime Member

I too had this concern before jumping in and selling my very unreliable Polaris SxS to buy the Honda Pioneer. However, if one considers the history of Honda (anything), there is rarely any major radical changes from first years models to subsequent year models. Honda tends to be very conservative in design changes and stays within their proven "comfort zone". The one area that has been a bit frustrating is the lack of aftermarket products for the Pioneer. A robust aftermarket availability of products for a machine can make a world of difference in performance upgrade options, costs and making the machine match your needs and use. By the end of this year, the aftermarket products for the Pioneer should vastly improve. The only thing that would make me ever consider selling the Pioneer is if Honda came out with a high powered / performance Sport SXS.

8. The Wire

The Wire New Member

I want to buy a P4 in time for spring trail riding. The many reviews are largely positive. My concern is with the occasional under powered - needs a lower gear comments. I haul a 4'x4' trailer of firewood up a 40% grade and plow snow with my Polaris Sportsman 500. I have had my Sportsman since 2002, so I'm not one to be changing machines every couple years. I find my self wondering when the leaks about the 2015 P4 model might start. But as fishin2Dmax said, Honda is not known for radical changes and if they did beef up the engine or modify the tranny, I would then be buying an unproven drive train. I could see them adding less radical options like tilt steering and EPS.

What are the members thoughts about the P4 being able to pull a 1000 lb trailer up a 40% - 20 degree grade?

What are the members thoughts as to when we might know about the 2015 P4 and what changes do you see as a possibility?

9. Jerry3

Jerry3 New Member
    Lifetime Member

I wanted to test its pulling ability, so I hooked on my 7x10 trailer that weighed in at 940lbs. It pulled it up what I would guess is a 20-25 degree slope with no issue what so ever, even stopped on it and took off. Then drove back down the hill not using the brakes and never went over 10mph

10. Hondasxs

Hondasxs Club Founder
    Staff Member Moderator Club Contributor

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Ya, we all asking the same questions.
    I haven't pulled anything big yet, so I'm going to skip that questions.

About changes, You are right, Honda is not one for huge changes. I do not expect anything till around/after 2016 model year.
    Why I say that. Think of it from Honda's side. They just spend billions of dollars tooling there new wing at HSC. It would not make much business since to retool within the first year of production.

But... I too hope my thinking is wrong. lol.
    Cant wait.

11. ohanacreek

ohanacreek Chasing after an albino Sasquatch is tiring.
    Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member

Ownership:
    1000-5
    Pulled a 6x12 loaded with fence wood @2000-2500lbs total trailer and wood, up my 1200' driveway which at points is a max of 15-20 degrees. You won't win any drag race but it doesn't struggle. Stays in first but pulls strong.