DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do Talons have high-elevation issues with maintaining low end and torque? I have a Pioneer 700-4 but want to get into crawling/climbing sometime in the future and would need that suspension travel? Thanks!
I'ma say no.
ALL naturally aspirated engines lose power with altitude gain. Your talon will lose some power, just like anything else except the turbo machines which can simply add more boost to make up for it.

The problem with 700 is that it has no low range and/or low gearing options to help make up for that loss. The talon does. And the extra 90 (or whatever) hp doesn't hurt either.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've ridden my Talon up to 13,262 feet on 30" tires with no problem (stock is 28"). Guys running 32's do have 'some' trouble. If you understand the DCT bog, you can work around it, simply bumping the obstacle will get you over most obstacles.

DCT bog - Talons (and P1Ks) idle at 1500 and the clutches engage at 1800 (or thereabouts). There simply isn't any torgue 'down there', it's a law of physics. Backing up 6" or so and getting a GENTLE bump at the step-up will get you right over it, most times.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Do Talons have high-elevation issues with maintaining low end and torque? I have a Pioneer 700-4 but want to get into crawling/climbing sometime in the future and would need that suspension travel? Thanks!
Yes, I ride mine mostly in the southern Rockies 7,500-11,000’ and have had plenty of trouble, I’m getting a 25% IGR installed and front lockers next month….

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
they have addressed the torque from stop, but the DCT in automatic mode even in low range (system ignores sport in low range), has a tendency to up shift way too soon. If you have in auto and use paddle to drop down a gear, it almost instantly goes back up to where it was. This makes the car feel boggy and under powered, but it is not really. I have 30" tires and this is easily addressed by using manual mode.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
they have addressed the torque from stop, but the DCT in automatic mode even in low range (system ignores sport in low range), has a tendency to up shift way too soon. If you have in auto and use paddle to drop down a gear, it almost instantly goes back up to where it was. This makes the car feel boggy and under powered, but it is not really. I have 30" tires and this is easily addressed by using manual mode.
This is true, in manual mode the DCT programming will let you bounce off the rev limiter if you want. @Lil_Steve taught me to use manual on steep/rocky climbs to prevent untimely upshifts, also true in deep sand. It will still downshift, whether you want it to or not. As a short shifter I find this downshifting irritating at times, sometimes I just want to power through a turn in the gear I'm in but the Talon downshifts anyway.

N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Neither have I, but by pretty much every account you read or hear, it's the machine if "crawling" is your thing.
I started watching some videos and seems to be true. I'm hoping that by the time im ready to trade mine in, Honda will have improved to that level. It seems they've already started with the turbo's. 🤞

Reactions: DG Rider
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!