P1000 High Pitch / Grinding Noise / Rear Left

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Started yesterday, high pitch grinding or whining noise that seems to originate from the rear left. The machine has 2600 miles on it, a 2.5" lift, 28" tires. Only does it under a load, totally normal when coasting. I'm thinking its a CV Joint bearing in failure mode... Jacked it up and ran it, no unusual noise and everything feels tight (push / pull) as it relates to the axels. The final gear oil is full and has a like new appearance with maybe 1000 miles on it.

Seeking suggestions before I purchase parts...

Reactions: TripleB
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OEM axles?

How's the rotors looked?
Just replaced mine with 2300+- miles because of a high pitch squeal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Started yesterday, high pitch grinding or whining noise that seems to originate from the rear left. The machine has 2600 miles on it, a 2.5" lift, 28" tires. Only does it under a load, totally normal when coasting. I'm thinking its a CV Joint bearing in failure mode... Jacked it up and ran it, no unusual noise and everything feels tight (push / pull) as it relates to the axels. The final gear oil is full and has a like new appearance with maybe 1000 miles on it.

Seeking suggestions before I purchase parts...

Does the noise change when you apply brakes?

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the noise change when you apply brakes?
Rotors looked good and new pads have not made any noise since installed. It only makes the sound when under a load or accelerating, while coasting no noise. While braking I'm off the accelerator, so no noise. I will try braking while accelerating and see if there is any change.

I was thinking a possible wheel bearing issue, but I would assume that would make noise 100% of the time, not just under acceleration.

Appreciate the help!

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Braking while accelerating with noise, noise stays constant... releasing the throttle and it quiets immediately. My wife made the comment this AM that it is worse in Turf mode, my old hard of hearing ears didn't pick that up. So, it again leans toward the rear left side drive train. Wish I had an accurate way of measuring temperature (two digital thermometers, both at my other house) so I could get a reading of the CV joints.

Convincing myself that it is a CV joint bearing taking a crap... just damn.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Braking while accelerating with noise, noise stays constant... releasing the throttle and it quiets immediately. My wife made the comment this AM that it is worse in Turf mode, my old hard of hearing ears didn't pick that up. So, it again leans toward the rear left side drive train. Wish I had an accurate way of measuring temperature (two digital thermometers, both at my other house) so I could get a reading of the CV joints.

Convincing myself that it is a CV joint bearing taking a crap... just damn.

I haven’t heard a CV squeal l, they usually click and pop. It could be the wheel bearing I guess.

Jack up that one tire and see how much play the wheel bearing has by wiggling the tire up and down.

Reactions: ohanacreek
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Rotors looked good and new pads have not made any noise since installed. It only makes the sound when under a load or accelerating, while coasting no noise. While braking I'm off the accelerator, so no noise. I will try braking while accelerating and see if there is any change.

I was thinking a possible wheel bearing issue, but I would assume that would make noise 100% of the time, not just under acceleration.

Appreciate the help!
My Rubicon did a similar thing but it was the front left; it was the wheel bearing starting to go. I thought it was the brakes but it got worse under a load in 4wd. It wouldn't do it all the time and it was driving me crazy. I thought it was some dirt or garbage in the brakes. It finally started to do it in 2WD so I changed the wheel bearings and that front left was shot.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As Joey and now Adam mentioned the wheel bearing, I'm going to go that route... My machine is 100 miles away at my cabin in North GA, so I will get the wheel bearing this week and plan on changing them next weekend. Lot more attractive that the CV joint both for the work required and the price!

Thanks for the feedback, I will be sure to let ya'll know how it turns out!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!