Talon Hind tit..

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So my dealer has an X and an R. I go to smoke them over and the R is setting besides a new Teryx 1000.

It comes factory wit 31" tires, beadlocks and the A arms look like aftermarket arms they are so beefy.

28" tires on the Talon looked pathetic.
I do like the cockpit on the Talon.

Going to hold out till i get a chance to look at the Talon 4 Seater.

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Kawi did a nice job.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The KRX has some good ideas, but is sort of a dog, and, while I don't have a beef with a CVT, I think their use of a wet-clutch with an EBS bearing will end up being the Achilles heel, especially with the K&T turbo kit. For trail use they should work fine.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The KRX has some good ideas, but is sort of a dog, and, while I don't have a beef with a CVT, I think their use of a wet-clutch with an EBS bearing will end up being the Achilles heel, especially with the K&T turbo kit. For trail use they should work fine.

What makes it a dog? It has more HP than a Talon but not much. Is there a lot of parasitic loss with their CVT setup?

Got to look up and see what an EBS bearing is...no idea.

I like the idea of not having to upgrade wheels, tires, and arms right away. That saves over 2 grand out of rhe hole!

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
What makes it a dog? It has more HP than a Talon but not much. Is there a lot of parasitic loss with their CVT setup?

I like the idea of not having to upgrade wheels, tires, and arms right away. That saves over 2 grand out of rhe hole!

You should buy the Kawasaki, then keep us posted on how it works out. After all, most of us have Hondas, so we could use some education on other brands.

Reactions: JTW and popeye

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

There are some videos of it accelerating to governed speed of 68. It does not have the snap of the Talon. CVTs work fine---if they are tuned right. The wet-clutch allows the CVT belt to be under continuous tension and eliminates slipping, makes them very smooth at takeoff and when rock crawling, but will give sort of a bog out of the hole. Plus, wet-clutch setups have not been known to be durable at 100+ horsepower, and the centrifugal clutch adds rotating mass to the crankshaft. EBS is engine braking. In a typical wet clutch a one-way bearing, or mechanical diode sits on a hub on the end of the centrifugal clutch, and inside a counterbore in the clutch drum. On deceleration it locks so there is a mechanical coupling under back torque, even when the centrifugal gets below engagement RPM. These work great for trail use, but do not do well with shock loads, such as landing jumps.

Many ATVs and utility SxSs have successfully run wet clutches, but in the sport world they are considered a handicap. Early Wildcats had a wet-clutch, and it was great for trail use, but the absolute bane of duners, and racer types.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizona
H

HondaTech

It's got what 112hp? The Talon has been proven to stick with RZRs that have similar and more power.

It weighs almost 400lbs more than any SXS its competing against. I agree the interior is nice, and the machine seems well built and has great fit and finish (havent seen one in person yet). I personally think the outside door handle is an awesome idea that other manufacturers should learn from.

But I've been around Teryxs, they cant keep suspension bushings, the clutch is noisy as hell after only a few miles. The wet clutch they go on about is the same thing in the Teryx and ain't great. Look around, they are known to slip.

I do think the suspension looks beefy and all, but it's got to be to haul around all 1900lbs of that thing.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's got what 112hp? The Talon has been proven to stick with RZRs that have similar and more power.

It weighs almost 400lbs more than any SXS its competing against. I agree the interior is nice, and the machine seems well built and has great fit and finish (havent seen one in person yet). I personally think the outside door handle is an awesome idea that other manufacturers should learn from.

But I've been around Teryxs, they cant keep suspension bushings, the clutch is noisy as hell after only a few miles. The wet clutch they go on about is the same thing in the Teryx and ain't great. Look around, they are known to slip.

I do think the suspension looks beefy and all, but it's got to be to haul around all 1900lbs of that thing.
Gotta admit that I hate handles on the outside. Already broke 5 off of the Wolverine. Gave up on them and just climb over the door. They tend to get mud in them and freeze up from snow/ice anyways.
At least the Kawi has them on inside too so you can still open it when the outside breaks off lol.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the education on the CVT stuff. Sounds like the sprag in an auto tranny.
It did look "big and little more bloated" than the Talon.

Just jealous of the factory 31's and beadlocks. Current plan is to get my enclosed trailer this spring and then the Talon next Fall. Pioneer will be kept for use around the farm and house.

H

HondaTech

Gotta admit that I hate handles on the outside. Already broke 5 off of the Wolverine. Gave up on them and just climb over the door. They tend to get mud in them and freeze up from snow/ice anyways.
At least the Kawi has them on inside too so you can still open it when the outside breaks off lol.

Really? When we had our Kawi shop I never saw anyone have an issue with the Teryx outside handles. Interesting.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Really? When we had our Kawi shop I never saw anyone have an issue with the Teryx outside handles. Interesting.
One of the only issues we’ve had with that machine. Liked them at first.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
could be a yamaha specific outside handle issue?
Maybe I’m not positive I don’t frequent those forums.
It’s recessed a little too but we’ve sure had some problems. Rip um off nearly as fast as mirrors. Gave up a long time ago because the short doors are easy to just step over.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw one in person they are huge almost as big as a jeep HaHa nice but huge for trails here in WV

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You should buy the Kawasaki, then keep us posted on how it works out. After all, most of us have Hondas, so we could use some education on other brands.
Damn. When i went to the dealer today to measure the Talon R for the new encloswd trailer, the Teryx was setting right beside it.

This focker has an ebrake, larger CV axles, Larger diameter and arched A Arms.
Also has a metal floor pan and footwell! The metal footwell is sweet!

Looks like purchase is on hold for awhile
See how the drive system holds out on the teryx.... 31 vs 28 factory tires.....

For some reason I do not want to like the Kawi, but man, its tuff.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Damn. When i went to the dealer today to measure the Talon R for the new encloswd trailer, the Teryx was setting right beside it.

This focker has an ebrake, larger CV axles, Larger diameter and arched A Arms.
Also has a metal floor pan and footwell! The metal footwell is sweet!

Looks like purchase is on hold for awhile
See how the drive system holds out on the teryx.... 31 vs 28 factory tires.....

For some reason I do not want to like the Kawi, but man, its tuff.
The Teryx 4's are also very well built. Good job by Kawi. People....well, Honda people, like to focus on belts, but I've heard very little bad about the T4's and see a lot of them out there. Noisy, but that's about it. I expect the new one will be the same way.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The idea of a metal floor pan is a great idea! Would love to see that on a lot of other machines. The 31's are also nice but I am still set on a new Talon X as it will fit much better on the local trails.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The idea of a metal floor pan is a great idea! Would love to see that on a lot of other machines. The 31's are also nice but I am still set on a new Talon X as it will fit much better on the local trails.
Where i ride (royal blue, windrock) the wider more stable, the better. I can always back up a few times if needed for a turn, but cant make myself wider or longer.

WidowMaker and other climbs make me want the stability.

Tackett creek has some tight spots, but even the guy in the Can Am Maverick followed us this spring at the roundup.

We are going to wait till midsummer and see how they are fairing then.

But just to match the KRX , the Talon needs:

Wheels
Tires
Aftermarket front arms
Door inserts to make full doors

That is over 2 grand right there. Still might be a wash in the end if machine prices come into play. If it is a wash, i will stay with Honda. I want to talk to some Talon owners who ride the same area first.

Reactions: TripleB and JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Where i ride (royal blue, windrock) the wider more stable, the better. I can always back up a few times if needed for a turn, but cant make myself wider or longer.

WidowMaker and other climbs make me want the stability.

Tackett creek has some tight spots, but even the guy in the Can Am Maverick followed us this spring at the roundup.

We are going to wait till midsummer and see how they are fairing then.

But just to match the KRX , the Talon needs:

Wheels
Tires
Aftermarket front arms
Door inserts to make full doors

That is over 2 grand right there. Still might be a wash in the end if machine prices come into play. If it is a wash, i will stay with Honda. I want to talk to some Talon owners who ride the same area first.
First of all I’m a fan of the Kawi myself and think for the money they did a really good job. In all honesty I’d consider that if the trails allowed for the size.
But one thing I’ve believed is that if the the rig is super stable and easy to ride it takes some of the fun out. There are certain places our Wolverine is just effortless on that the Pioneer is sketchy. Funny thing is I prefer the Pioneer on that usually. If you take out all the challenge it leaves you unsatisfied with what you just attempted, for me part of the ride is giving it hell, doing something in a rig that can go but probably shouldn’t. We try to always take the difficult path, so a rig that makes things too easy is just less of accomplishment imo.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!