Home security system

C

Chooglin

There have been talk of ways to secure our property/sxs on here , so I thought I would mention this as a option for your home.

I have a Arlo home security system that I bought 4 months ago. This system has been great so far. There are no monthly fees (up to 5 cameras) you get 1gb of cloud storage + you can have a usb stick on board the main unit for backup.

This unit works off your wifi , this allows you to have complete control of the cameras wherever you may be. It sends you a notification any time there is motion or sound detected. You can also go live on anyone of the cameras at anytime.

The options on this system are pretty much endless , and without going into all of the details, check them out at arlo.com

This is a totally wireless system and very simple to setup. The baterries on these cameras last very long and recharge time is about 2hrs. I have only had to recharge the batteries on two of the cameras so far.

I have a 4 camera system and these are just some screen shots of it !
Screenshot 2018 02 17 20 50 09 Screenshot 2018 02 17 20 50 26 Screenshot 2018 02 17 20 50 42

Last edited by a moderator:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cameras are a GREAT investment for home security and awareness of what’s going on around your property when you’re not there.

I cleaned the domes and tweaked some of the views on mine today.

4368620eaf0a09a45661ab3a4237b35a

D912ac4776ec3bbc2d9f097b20464e7d

J

JTW

What camera system is that @ohanacreek

I’ve been looking and have bought a few systems and sent back because I haven’t been happy with the picture quality for the distance I need to pick up on a couple angles.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What camera system is that @ohanacreek

I’ve been looking and have bought a few systems and sent back because I haven’t been happy with the picture quality for the distance I need to pick up on a couple angles.
PMd you not highjacking @Chooglin thread.

If I could convince everyone on the benefits of a good video Security system I would. Get a good one that you can use and has good enough video to give to cops. Arlo is a solid contender in the residential market. Most residential systems are going to have a distance limitation. Camera placement can make up for that most of the time but sometimes even with high end commercial cameras you just can’t put a camera in the right place or it takes $$$$$$$$$ for a Camera to get the view from where you can put it and to get the connection back to the storage

C

Chooglin

Ummm. There is enough interest. Go ahead and clog it ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree clog it !

There are most definitely better systems than the Arlo system , this was an affordable, easy setup and wireless , that's what drew me to it........owe and it was free!

I would also like to hear about some of the other systems out there , that are being used by some of you.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok well here goes...

Hanwha (Samsung rebranded their security division last year) I’m mostly using their cameras, a few Axis cameras, and Hanwha WAVE VMS installed on a server.

When we built (what is hopefully our last home) I wired our house to be able to slowly as money was available, turn it into a full on smarthome, and added a ton of empty and larger than needed conduit pathways so tech upgrades and tech retrofits would be easier in a decade. I am slowly doing that by adding cameras and home automation. I can see and control a good bit from my phone right now, the home automation lets me create if/then rules, tasks, etc... that automatically execute, it’s a really nice 1st world not in anyway needed convenience.
I engineer and sell commercial building security, automation, and energy solutions.

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Posting this to give an idea of video/sound quality. There again , not trying to convince anyone that Arlo is "THE SYTEM" to spend your money on ,but it is very affordable. If I could afford a better ,hard wired system , that's what I would prefer !

By the way , we get some pretty damn funny videos from our post man , he loves to talk to himself !

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Posting this to give an idea of video/sound quality. There again , not trying to convince anyone that Arlo is "THE SYTEM" to spend your money on ,but it is very affordable. If I could afford a better ,hard wired system , that's what I would prefer !

By the way , we get some pretty damn funny videos from our post man , he loves to talk to himself !
I am looking at the Arlo system now. It's just in my budget...and from what you posted. I am sold...It's better then climbing on the roof and attaching a Moultrie to the chimney...

And Did the postman call you and f- n A -hole:eek:

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do those cameras run all the time or do they detect motion...
And do the batteries last long in cold conditions...

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes he did , I ship the glove boxes from my home and he just hates that he has to come up to the porch to get them.

We just laugh when we watch the videos , the guy has some issues !
What cameras from the system do you have? I started looking at the system and notice a couple different one

C

Chooglin

Do those cameras run all the time or do they detect motion...
And do the batteries last long in cold conditions...
They only come on if they detect sound or motion. I have the sound detection turned off on all of my cameras (really no need for sound detection).

I am very satisfied with how long they last. I have only had to charge 2 of the cameras in a 4 month period (the two most active cameras). We have had some very cold temps this winter too!

Each camera has a microphone and speaker , wich allows you to talk to the person at your door.

You can also manually start recording at any time.

C

Chooglin

I am going to put the 5th camera inside my garage but I am not sure if the wifi will reach that far.......we will see !

If the camera won't work there I will put it on a Robins nest. We have a Robin that builds a nest in our Pavillion every year , so I thought it would be cool to watch that !

Reactions: swsebek
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Got a Simpli safe, did not like delay on sounding alarm and then found out you have to pay a monthl fee for the camera use. Packed it up and returned. Have a Ring camera pending installation. Good comments above on the Arlo. Good thread topic.

Last edited:
J

JTW

I am looking at the Arlo system now. It's just in my budget...and from what you posted. I am sold...It's better then climbing on the roof and attaching a Moultrie to the chimney...

And Did the postman call you and f- n A -hole:eek:
Bhahahaha

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes he did , I ship the glove boxes from my home and he just hates that he has to come up to the porch to get them.

We just laugh when we watch the videos , the guy has some issues !

The USPS will not deliver to our house we have to go get packages from PO.

LAZY GUBMENT WORKERS!!!

Reactions: Chooglin and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!