BOX1

P1000 Homemade Door Bushings

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Heard a lot lately on bushing for doors, so is there a way to make your own for less out of Delrin bar stock. What’s the pros and cons of those vs the two piece bushings? I have some for my front doors but would be interested in trying to test some homemade ones. Anyon have a toturial on how to do it?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Oh there was? Why did it get locked? Anyhow you got a toturial on how to make the bushing or got some For sale I would love to compare them.

Reactions: BWAF and Neohio
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We had a thread about this and some f***er locked it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
hum... lol..
It needed a refresh button anyways.

I'm fixing to post in that other thread in a few moments.

Ok. I even added a link to this thread in that other one.
NOW, Lets talk HomeMade door bushings!

I will clean up all this gibber gabber tomorrow once we get on course.

Last edited:
93whitese-r

93whitese-r

Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2017
Cincinnati ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can totally make these at home if your some what familiar with a lathe.... I have a lathe and could justify turning 16 individual by hand... I hand a friend with a CNC lathe quote me drawing them and machine setup..... My original plan was to make them my self with material from McMaster Carr but the time to make them all the same and accurately wasn't feasible to me on my small bench top lathe

Kilo427

Kilo427

Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Nice! Cuoutdoors did you use a lathe?

Reactions: Neohio

Jun 21, 2018
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My goodness, this bushing issue has turned into quite the $hit$how. Weller is no longer an option for me as I've tried 20x to get the free shipping and it defaults to $13 every time. First time I've ever had an issue getting the promoted "Free Shipping" from any website so I'm pretty sure I'm getting lured. If anyone has an easy fix, post it, I'm on board.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My goodness, this bushing issue has turned into quite the $hit$how. Weller is no longer an option for me as I've tried 20x to get the free shipping and it defaults to $13 every time. First time I've ever had an issue getting the promoted "Free Shipping" from any website so I'm pretty sure I'm getting lured. If anyone has an easy fix, post it, I'm on board.
I'll send you a free set. I'm working on getting more stock ordered. Stay tuned

WhitJo

WhitJo

Supporting Member
Jul 13, 2018
Mtns of East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm in the machine shop business myself....and I'm also a consumer of specialty products. So allow me to just add kind of a neutral comment.

I have high precision CNC lathes that are capable of turning out a piece like this in a matter of a few seconds each...and the raw material...either Delrin, UHMW, Hydex, MDS nylon, or whatever you choose is relative in price. But you have to bear in mind that a machine tool capable of rapidly making these is expensive, to own and operate.

In this case, because of the simplicity of the part, there would be a minimal programming time to get the first set made...after that, the CNC programs are done and retained for future use.... and that cost goes away....

So the average guy that wants a set of door bushings cannot just go out and buy a CNC machine to make himself a set. Yes they can be made on a conventional lathe or even on a little hobby lathe...but not in any kind of quantity that would be profitable.

Now on the other hand...if I could make a set, or several sets at a time.....for, let's say, a total manufacturing cost of $10-$20 per set
then I (myself) couldn't justify making the price 15 times what it cost to manufacture them....what I would do is turn out a number of
sets in one run that would make a reasonable profit...... when sold at a reasonable price.

Also, although I have the capability to make just about anything that can be machined, I have a make/buy philosophy...
In other words....if I can buy it at a reasonable price...I do so...because my time is valuable as well.

Just my 2¢....
I don't cut anyone's throat for profit....

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in the machine shop business myself....and I'm also a consumer of specialty products. So allow me to just add kind of a neutral comment.

I have high precision CNC lathes that are capable of turning out a piece like this in a matter of a few seconds each...and the raw material...either Delrin, UHMW, Hydex, MDS nylon, or whatever you choose is relative in price. But you have to bear in mind that a machine tool capable of rapidly making these is expensive, to own and operate.

In this case, because of the simplicity of the part, there would be a minimal programming time to get the first set made...after that, the CNC programs are done and retained for future use.... and that cost goes away....

So the average guy that wants a set of door bushings cannot just go out and buy a CNC machine to make himself a set. Yes they can be made on a conventional lathe or even on a little hobby lathe...but not in any kind of quantity that would be profitable.

Now on the other hand...if I could make a set, or several sets at a time.....for, let's say, a total manufacturing cost of $10-$20 per set
then I (myself) couldn't justify making the price 15 times what it cost to manufacture them....what I would do is turn out a number of
sets in one run that would make a reasonable profit...... when sold at a reasonable price.

Also, although I have the capability to make just about anything that can be machined, I have a make/buy philosophy...
In other words....if I can buy it at a reasonable price...I do so...because my time is valuable as well.

Just my 2¢....
I don't cut anyone's throat for profit....
I agree there is always a threshold of where the price has to be to justify messing with it. Some prices are a way out of hand though I suppose because they had no competition.

I'm waiting on some more uhmw stock then I'll post how these can be made for just a few dollars.

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree there is always a threshold of where the price has to be to justify messing with it. Some prices are a way out of hand though I suppose because they had no competition.

I'm waiting on some more uhmw stock then I'll post how these can be made for just a few dollars.

Do you have an update on this?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just so we're clear... $50 for two doors... they really aren’t worth that. I’ve got them but they’re not $100 better.

Correct. $50 for 2 doors is not worth it. 1 bushing per door is better but not a solution and $100 for 4 doors is completely unreasonable. I'd rather not bash a product but I'm barely satisfied. I've got a $16,000 machine with easily $5,000 in parts thrown at it and other than the Mic Tuning volt meters that started on fire (both of them, the same weekend), these are my least favorite $50.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!