iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
WIN 20160208 154554
WIN 20160208 154734
I used some of the 1/4" plastic I had leftover from the rear seat project,1/4" aluminum channel on the front and back to hold it ridged, and 4 Honda quick clamps,$36.00 for the clamps,$8.00 for the aluminum.it looks like there are ridges in the roof from the front view, it is just the reflection off the ceiling in shop

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 10105 View attachment 10103 I used some of the 1/4" plastic I had leftover from the rear seat project,1/4" aluminum channel on the front and back to hold it ridged, and 4 Honda quick clamps,$36.00 for the clamps,$8.00 for the aluminum.it looks like there are ridges in the roof from the front view, it is just the reflection off the ceiling in shop
Good job! Did you not have enough material to come down lower in the back. Or is that just where you wanted to stop it?

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Good job! Did you not have enough material to come down lower in the back. Or is that just where you wanted to stop it?
That's as far as I wanted to come down ,in the process of making a rear panel out of the same plastic and Plexiglas for dust protection to come up and meet it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That's as far as I wanted to come down ,in the process of making a rear panel out of the same plastic and Plexiglas for dust protection to come up and meet it.
Nice. Will you be posting a pic of that as well?

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice iowaguy. I was like wow the ridges in the roof look cool, how'd he do that with out them buckling Hahahaa. For the rear I'm just about finished making, using black 3mm thick UHMW and a piece of Lexan for a rear window. I used clear UHMW for my roof and added an aluminum tube across the top (above your head seated) to tie everything together. I will link some pix when I get finished. Also using flexible synthetic black (transport truck load cover) tarp under the seat that will tie into the rear wall of cab.

jrc

gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How
Nice iowaguy. I was like wow the ridges in the roof look cool, how'd he do that with out them buckling Hahahaa. For the rear I'm just about finished making, using black 3mm thick UHMW and a piece of Lexan for a rear window. I used clear UHMW for my roof and added an aluminum tube across the top (above your head seated) to tie everything together. I will link some pix when I get finished. Also using flexible synthetic black (transport truck load cover) tarp under the seat that will tie into the rear wall of cab.

jrc
Did that UHMW roof come out?

Reactions: JTW
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
How

Did that UHMW roof come out?

Sorry gpshemi, the roof is clear Lexan... The back of the cab is 3mm thick UHMW and slides under the roof at the rear. Should be pix in my sig link. Cab works great, not gotten doors on yet that will be winter project as its hunting season now.

j

Reactions: JTW
N-IdahoP500

N-IdahoP500

Aug 24, 2018
Post Falls, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I just finished my roof.

I used 1/8 aluminum diamond plate. I marked bend locations at 1/2" increments and used a makeshift break to bend the sheet. The break was 4x4 posts with heavy hinges mounted to the loft in my shop.

After bending, I mounted it with conduit clamps and drove it for a few trips to get a feel for how much I wanted to remove from the front and rear.

After cutting off the excess, I rounded the corners and riveted on a drip edge the front and rear. The drip edges are 1/2" aluminum channel. I then ruffed the entire surface with a drill and a wire wheel. I also ground down the diamonds near the edges to allow from trim at a later stage.

Instead of paint, I opted for Rustoleum truck bed coating. I've never used it, but I figured it would be more durable than paint. On the edges, I added Trimloc edging.

The final step was mounting the light bar and mounting it to the Pioneer with rubber coated conduit clamps.

28 27 26 25 24 23 22 21 20 19 18 17 16 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just finished my roof.

I used 1/8 aluminum diamond plate. I marked bend locations at 1/2" increments and used a makeshift break to bend the sheet. The break was 4x4 posts with heavy hinges mounted to the loft in my shop.

After bending, I mounted it with conduit clamps and drove it for a few trips to get a feel for how much I wanted to remove from the front and rear.

After cutting off the excess, I rounded the corners and riveted on a drip edge the front and rear. The drip edges are 1/2" aluminum channel. I then ruffed the entire surface with a drill and a wire wheel. I also ground down the diamonds near the edges to allow from trim at a later stage.

Instead of paint, I opted for Rustoleum truck bed coating. I've never used it, but I figured it would be more durable than paint. On the edges, I added Trimloc edging.

The final step was mounting the light bar and mounting it to the Pioneer with rubber coated conduit clamps.

View attachment 97241 View attachment 97242 View attachment 97243 View attachment 97244 View attachment 97245 View attachment 97246 View attachment 97247 View attachment 97248 View attachment 97249 View attachment 97250 View attachment 97251 View attachment 97252 View attachment 97253 View attachment 97254 View attachment 97255 View attachment 97256 View attachment 97257 View attachment 97258 View attachment 97259 View attachment 97260 View attachment 97261 View attachment 97262 View attachment 97263 View attachment 97264 View attachment 97265 View attachment 97266 View attachment 97267 View attachment 97268
That’s an impressive amount of innovative work!!!

N-IdahoP500

N-IdahoP500

Aug 24, 2018
Post Falls, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Very nice work. I am intrigued by the front rack/basket and would appreciate any comments on it as well as a picture.

The front rack was an idea I pulled from a Youtube video posted by Whiteshell Outfitters out of Canada. I decided to mount mine a little different, but the idea is the same. I bought one of those receiver mount racks for atv's from Harbor Freight. Mine was an "opened box" so I think I paid about $40. Normal retail is around $60.

I mounted the center bar backwards and upside down, and I left off the final bar that acts as the stinger for the receiver hitch.

I then used some one inch aluminum tubing and some rubber covered conduit clamps to attach the bar to two points on the Pioneer frame.

To support it on the hood section, I used sections of the aluminum tubing and more conduit straps to fasten it to the exposed frame bars next to the hood. I notched these tubes out to accept the rack tubing and drilled holes through both the aluminum posts and the atv rack.

The rack is fastened with spring pins at the aluminum posts near the hood and by using a seven inch bolt on the front. After pulling the pins, the rack tips forward to allow access under the hood. Tightening the seven inch bolt allows enough friction to hold the rack in place when I tip it forward.

My intent was to make it workable for the hunting season as a deer carrier. I planned on welding something more professional together to replace the aluminum bars in the front. They seemed to work so well, that I think I will just spray them black and leave it as is.

Last season, we hauled out three deer with it, and it worked great. Although I put bungee cords on the deer, the rack rail holds them nicely and would work by itself if you weren't traveling over crazy terrain. I stood on the rack (200 lbs with full camo) and pulled the deer up (at least 175lbs). I would guess it should hold at least 400lbs comfortably. It doesn't shake or rattle, and it didn't twist or lean when I stood on it.

Accessing the underhood area is fast and easy. In one of the pictures you will see a bin I heat molded to fit that area ($3.50 from lowes). I also have a bow saw stored in there just in case.

In the side profile pictures you can see that I mounted it to match the angle of the hood. That was to avoid having to look over the bar as I drove around. The idea worked great. While normal trail riding, it doesn't get in the way at all. However, I wouldn't mount anything more than a fuel pack or some other low profile objects there while trail riding (maybe a hunting pack or something). It worked great for hauling out a deer, but I wouldn't want to spend the day looking over the top of things.

Overall, it allows me to fill up the rear rack with gear for my hunt, and allows me a place to put my game if I harvest. I included a picture with the deer my son shot this year.

0827181523a HDR 0827181524a HDR 0827181524b HDR 1013181614a HDR 2

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Impressive and appreciate the pictures. I will print the pictures and look how this might be done on mine :)

Reactions: N-IdahoP500

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!